Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

solid food on the bike
Quote | Reply
what do you eat? i got a big long race tomorrow and im gonna have 3 snickers, and this muesli kinda bar for my 'real' food.
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harvest Power Bars (Peanut Butter/Chocolate Chip), Hammer Gel (Espresso w/ caffeine) and bananas from the aid stations if available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enervitene on the bike and gel on the run does for me.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats the point of all those flash bars when a cheap chocolate bar does the same thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey JK, have you tried those Enervitene wafer chewable tablets? They rock! I don't know why they work, but they do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap chocolate bars have waaaay to much sugar.... Snickers are good though. Lowest glycemic index of any candy bar.

Quote | Reply
pop tarts!!!! "poor man's powerbar"
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about the electrolyte tabs? I use the Env. tabs and fluid. Kind of sweet tasting, but they are easy on the stomach and easy to get calories in - well kind of expensive too.

I ended up training and racing with Carbo Pro wth a little Cytomax for flavor (a la Francois' suggestion) then went with the Enervitennes on the run. Was the only thing that worked for me on long (2.5 hour) runs to where I could carry enough fuel easily. Too many gels mess with my stomach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK this will be the strangest reply. I am only a 6hr IM biker. Both of my IM's at T1 and T2 I split a loaf of Jalapeno Faccocia bread. With all the hammergel ect......I need something to soak up it all. Everyone always laughs at me.....Especially the spectators looking at me with a big chunk of bread in my mouth while I mount. Kenney
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only a 6 hr IM biker? How modest!!

Personally I'm a believer in real food. At Forster this year I had cliff bars (thanks Amy) and gels. But in T1 I had a cheese and vegemite roll. I had a small one on the bike too. In T2 I had some salt n vinegar chips and in my run SNB I had a tin of baked beans which thatnfully I didn't need to use as one of the aid station volunteers made me a cup of tea which went down a treat.

I reckon for the BOP's like myself it's about enjoying the day as well as doing the best you can and quite frankly I get a bit sick of all the sweet stuff. I reckon if someone brought out a savoury type of gel it'd be a big seller.
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [Yurtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the taste of vegemite actually appealing to you? Pardon my North American ignorance, but for me, acquiring the taste for vegemite would be like acquiring the taste for O'douls non-alcoholic beer.

The traditional wisdom is that if it tastes good while sedentary it should be "tolerable" during heavy exertion. Does that hold true with you and your taste for vegemite?

I guess I just need to try vegemite again, give it an honest shot...with a six pack of O'douls.
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [YabYum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing with Vegemite is that we've all eaten it since we could take on solid food. So I guess it's become a comfort food for us. If you went to a long distance event in OZ there would be a large number of people carrying vegemite sandwiches. In fact, every Australian embassy has the address of the nearest supplier so we can still get it when we're OS.

The thing is in my experience is that most Americans tend to spread it too thick as though it's Nutella. What you need to do is to get some toast and spread some butter or mag on it while it's still warm and then scrape on a thin layer of Vegemite. That is how it tastes best. With sandwiches it's similar but the aim is for it to soak into the bread a bit.

Next time you see Macca, ask him if he eats it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on a long ride: clif bars, fig newtons, peanutbutter and honey sandwich

in a race: sharkies

Quote Reply
My coach says... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, fulla, you doing the K2? I'm chicken and doing the K1. I'm practicing the nutrition, so the plan I've been given is, for each hour:

0 -15 mins: 185ml (approx 1/4 bottle) energy drink e.g. Replace or Pro 4

15 -30 mins: 6 jellybeans, or 1/2 banana, or 1/4 energy bar plus 150ml water

30 -45 mins: 185ml energy drink

45 -60 mins: 6 jellybeans, or 1/2 banana, or 1/4 energy bar plus 150ml water

Repeat as necessary, but apparently it is not advisable to eat the PowerBar at the bottom of a hill, it gets stuck at the top of your mouth.

Personally, I can't see the difference between a snickers and an energy bar, apart from the price. I might even swap the jellybeans for some jet planes. You'll see me stopped outside the dairy on the way

Those who know do not speak, those who speak, do not know.
Quote Reply
Re: My coach says... [nzmarkj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah im trying to work out what ill eat. personally for me rate of absorbtion of sweet things its good to have a high gi, seeing as im diabetic and id rather keep my levels topped up and drop a lil rather than evenly normal with possibiility of a low blood sugar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea, that's why I don't use solid food on the bike!

Enertitene and gels on the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I haven't seen them, or they electrolyte replacement or Carbohydrate tablets?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave the snickers at home and take some powerbars with you instead. They have the same number of calories but without the sat fat and refined sugars of the snickers

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra Fuel. Got me through GFT, and I've recommended it ever since. I also get completely sick of sweet things, and I have been trying for years to come up with a bacon and egg gel - no luck so far :-) A small sandwich of some sort can't hurt, turkey and provolone for me, YMMV.

Good luck - not sure how you deal with the diabetic thing, that must be a bit difficult. One more thing to think about, I guess.

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enervit GT energy tablets, made from a fructose base, provides vitamins ( B1, B2, PP and C) which are particularly helpful in the use of carbohydrates. Also contains salts in the form of potassium and magnesium in the form of aspartates, which are known to combat amonium, a substance which forms during exercise and which causes cramp.

Recommended retail price 24 units R96.00. Single Sleave 4 Units at R20.00 and Single tablet at R5.00

To purchase this product go to www.lifestylemd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers OC, do you suck/chew them or mix them with water?

Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [Tri Nic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a guy with 10h IM to his credit--swears by fig newtons.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my racing buddies ate an entire can of SPAM during the bike portion of an Iron Distance race. (Well, I assume he only ate the contents of the can, but, he said, "...the whole can...:). PLUS, he ate a chicken salad sandwich. The guy's from Norway, if that makes any difference. The next morning at the awards ceremony (I think he was second in our AG), he had his plate piled with BACON!

I'm fairly sure my stomach would turn inside out if I tried to duplicate either of those gastronomical stunts.

I stuck with a home-made Perpetuem paste/orange Hammergel concoction that I found, by experimentation and practice, worked great for me. Shows the variability in tolerance, I guess.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: solid food on the bike [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditton on the Fig Newtons. 2 Newtons for morning swim or LSD run. Bike - Newtons and grape cytomax mix well with a dash of apple carb boom.
Last edited by: jmt8345: Oct 29, 04 13:40
Quote Reply