Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

calfee tetra pro vs guru carbonio ti
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a custom carbon road bike and have narrowed my search to the calfee tetra pro or guru carbonio ti. As far as I can tell, they are comparable in quality (of carbon), price, weight, and features such as titanium fittings. I have no opportunity to ride either one in my size. Does anyone have experience riding both these frames? Or any other input that will help me in my decision?
Quote Reply
Re: calfee tetra pro vs guru carbonio ti [hartnj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, when I was in the market for a road bike, I test road a Tetra. While I ultimately bought a Moots (liked the Ti feel), I found the Tetra to be a fantastic bike. It was ridiculously comfortable (no road vibrations), extremely stiff and responsive, and handled perfectly (some think it's twitchy, but I did not find it to be so). I know that Craig Calfee has more experience building carbon bikes than just about anyone else and that thier customer service is awesome. When I finally get e dedicated tri bike, it will be a Calfee Luna.

I have never ridden the Guru, but have seen one up close and personal. It is a real beauty and am sure it is also a great bike.

Either way, you will be getting a great bike- I am jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck finding a single human who has in the saddle experience with both of them. I have a Tetra Custom and don't think I'll ever be buying another brand of bike from now on.

If I could make a suggestion, call Craig Calfee and talk to him about his bikes for a while. That single phone call might make up your decision one way or the other. Tell him about your concerns, go right to the source. I talked to him a bunch of times before he built my bike. He was very patient and very helpful.

www.calfeedesign.com

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm in the market for a custom carbon road bike and have narrowed my search to the calfee tetra pro or guru carbonio ti. As far as I can tell, they are comparable in quality (of carbon), price, weight, and features such as titanium fittings. I have no opportunity to ride either one in my size. Does anyone have experience riding both these frames? Or any other input that will help me in my decision?

I have had few Calfees over the years including one of the original Calfee built LeMond bikes from the early 90’s. The construction and finish is top notch however I am not a fan of his stock geometry... the headtube angles are too steep, the headtubes are too long, and the in the tribikes the toptubes are too long. That said, he will build you a custom anyway you want it and that would be my top choice. Of course I would have to have it painted to look like one of my existing bikes so that my wife would never realize that I added one to the stable.

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Re: calfee tetra pro vs guru carbonio ti [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the chance to saddle up quite a few very nice bikes in just about all materials. I have not owned them all but taken them out for test rides of at least two hours. The list of carbons include a Look, Kestral, Trek (owned this one until I smashed it in a crash), and Calfee.

If you know me at all you know that I am dissapointed in the cycling industry for overcharging for dated technologies and canned bikes. I have rarely been on a bike that REALLY stood out from the others. I liked my Trek quite a bit but was it better than my K2 or Felt or Cannondale or Klein or Ritchey? No. They all had great qualities and some flaws but I was no better off on any one of them (fit excluded).

I currently ride a cheap ass $200.00 frame and fork from Supergo. It is not the best handleing bike nor the lightest nor the smoothest ride but it works jusr fine and I will race the crap out of it at no disatvantage to those around me on bikes that cost at leat a thousand dollars more. Would I like to have some sweet looking exotic frame? Absolutely. Will I shell out the $ for one? Some day. This brings me to the point...

I took two, two hour rides on a Calfee a few years ago in and around the mountains of Boulder. That bike was BY FAR the best bike I have ever been on. HANDS DOWN, WITHOUT QUESTION! It put my Trek to shame. That bike was so light, so responsive, so....lovely. It wanted to spring out form under me when I stood up on it. It was amazingly smooth on the rough roads on hwy 36. It hadeled like a race car (probably why some think it is twitchy). It responded to my every move. What a great bike.

If I ever shell out the big bucks for a bike it will be a Clafee. Without question one of the greatest bike on the market. Like stated above, give them a call and have a chat about your needs. It's worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calfee bikes are great. I ride a stock Tetra Pro and can't say enough about it. I test rode it against a Trek 5500, a Litespeed Tuscany and the Calfee was hands down the best ride. It's light, handles great, feel good on long rides and when you stand up to sprint or climb it simply jumps forward.

Mine:
http://www.bikefanclub.com/...p;cat=506&page=1

Craig Calfee did a custom bike for a friend of mine from the Ottawa Senators who is 6'9" and 270lbs. It is a 68cm frame with Dura Ace 10, mavic ksyriums, carbon bars, seat post and the whole things weight about 19lbs. I can email you pics of this bike from when we rode up Mt Ventoux while at this years Tour.

Get a Calfee. Great ride, looks awesome if you get a custom paint job and it has a 25yr warranty. Only complaint is that it lacks the "sexy" lines of some other carbon bikes but that is really meaningless.

Andre

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello

Believe it or not, I have had the opportunity to extensively ride both bikes. I found the Guru to be more comfortable. Cant say what for sure made the ride more comfortable but maybe thats the ppint. It was the whole package put together that made for a great riding bike. The BB was plenty stiff w/o being harsh. I cant say enough good things about the bike or the company. Give them a call and ask for Tony. He's always answered all of my questions and then some.
Quote Reply