Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame?
Quote | Reply
I own a 2000 Giant TCR1. The bike has somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. I've noticed that the rear tire rubs against the frame, so I too the bike to a Giant dealer. The dealer said "looks like you need a new frame, but that decision is up to the Giant rep". The Giant rep said "no, the frame is not deffective. He needs to use Michelin or Hutchinson tires". The bike has standard 700x23 Continental tires.

The owners manual does not say anything about using a specific brand of tires, and, in fact, they show a Continental tire.

I took pictures, wrote a letter and sent it to Giant. I told them that the owners manual does not state what brand tire to use. I told them that I am not using oversized tires, simply your run of the mill 700x23. The wheel is the one that came with the bike and has been trued every year. I received their reply by mail telling me that I have to use Michelin or Hutchinson tires.

The Giant dealer tells me that the profile of the tire I currently have on the bike is the same as the profile of the tires that come with the new Giant bicycles he sells in his store, thus the profile should not be an issue.

I would like to know what you think. I have 4 pictures I would love to post but I am not able to "copy" and "paste" on this thread, so if anyone knows how I could get pictures on here, I would appreciate it. This way you can make a better opinion. Thanks in advance for your replies. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [Fasttwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they won't cover this:

they won't cover your issue either.

My advice, get rid of your Giant TCR frame ASAP.

Good luck.
Last edited by: speedskater: Oct 28, 04 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [speedskater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How were you able to post that picture? I would like to post the pictures I have, but not able to/don't know how to.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [Fasttwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running a 23 x 700 Conti Sprinter tubular on my TCR with no clearence issues.

I think Speedskater's frame break was real fluke like we're hearing with some of the Cervelo 2.5 frames. But if it happened to me I wouldn't too keen on the brand either.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm running a 23 x 700 Conti Sprinter tubular on my TCR with no clearence issues."

Sorry. Just looked. It's actually a 22 x 700.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know how I would be able to post the pictures?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure that you have alreadu tried this but are you sure that the wheel is sitting correctly in the drop outs? in addition have you had the shop check the alignment of the bike... how about the dish of your wheels, I think those would giv eyou some simple anwers as to what is wrong with your bike so that you can ask better questions to Giant....

on a slightly different note, your Giant rep sounds like an ahole... he should try to help you fix your problem not give you some BS smart ass answer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm running a 23 x 700 Conti Sprinter tubular on my TCR with no clearence issues.

I think Speedskater's frame break was real fluke like we're hearing with some of the Cervelo 2.5 frames. But if it happened to me I wouldn't too keen on the brand either.

Well, I wouldn't want to compare a non-catastrophic dropout break on an R2.5 with the shearing off of a headtube.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I wouldn't want to compare a non-catastrophic dropout break on an R2.5 with the shearing off of a headtube. "

I wasn't. First time I've ever heard of this with a TCR.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [speedskater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any idea why your posted pic shows up as a red X on my screen? as do many pics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having a hard time imaging a modern road frame that couldn't accomodate 23c Contis. Something is strange. Is the rub only on one side? Unless the frame is cracked and flexing significantly, the problem must be with your wheelset.

On the other hand, I cracked my 2yr old Giant NRS-1 at the shock mount (mt. bike) last summer and I had a new frame and shock 48 hrs later.

Please take a look and let us know a little more about what is rubbing and where.

Quote | Reply
Believe me, I'm having a hard time believing it too, however it is obvious when I climb steep slopes because the rubbing is such that I can hear (and so do those that ride with me) the rubbing going on. If I was able to post the pictures, you would see how the tire has rubbed enough on the frame that the paint is now gone.

The rub is exactly where the frame is indented to allow for a more compact fit. I have seen many Giants with this design but they all have enough clearance.

I've consulted with two different mechanics in town and they say they have never seen such a narrow gap and are surprised at Giant's reaction.

Alignment is good and the wheels are trued. If I could only post those photographs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, well you could always see if one of the shops has a used Michelin they would lend you to try out and see if it rubs. Then you could go back to Giant with some real ammunition.

Has it always rubbed, or is this new? If the gap has always been narrow I would expect it has rubbed since day one (assuming you've always run the same type of tires). Otherwise I would have to say the culprits are still cracked/bent frame, improperly tensioned/dished rear wheel, or perhaps a shoddy quick-release that is allowing the wheel to shift in the dropouts. Just my thoughts.

Quote | Reply
Here are the pictures...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, didn't realize it was rubbing evenly against the back of the seat tube. Assuming you have the wheel properly mounted in the dropouts, I concur that this is crap. I don't think a different tire would make that much difference if they were both 23C.

Try a Michelin tire and see if it helps (again, I really don't think it'll help much) - take some pictures with the Michelin on to show how tight it is. Get the name and phone number of the Giant rep from your dealer. If the shop won't help you, time to help yourself. Explain to him your problem and email the pics. The shops that I know of selling Giant are quite impressed with their warranty service so maybe something is being lost in the translation between you, the shop, and the rep.

Good luck

Quote | Reply
Holy s***

That's bike terror... never saw nothing like that...

Ohh... I think I better be careful next time I'm downhilling.. we'll never know when the frame might break like that.. geezeee...

As for the topic... I use continental tires and michelin on my TCR and never had that kind of trouble ;)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Last edited by: Klep: Oct 28, 04 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you have any idea why your posted pic shows up as a red X on my screen? as do many pics

Are you behind a firewall at work? That could be the reason.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR1 Warranty - Is This A Deffective Frame? [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I believe so. Thanks for the info, how dare they shield me from slowtwitch pics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your problem might be the tire is out of round, contis are sometimes very tight on the bead,and if your rim strip is not the correct width or off center it might be keeping the tire bead from seating,this might be why they want you to try another brand of tire, I dought your tire is rubbing all the way around,just in one place
Last edited by: randall t: Oct 28, 04 12:00
Quote Reply