Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FINALLY!! RED SOX WIN!!
Quote | Reply
THEY WON, THEY WON, THEY WON!!!
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY!! RED SOX WIN!! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CONGRATS to the Red Sox faithful out there. I would say they deserve it!

Re: FINALLY!! RED SOX WIN!! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being a Redbird fan, let me be also give out a shout of congratulations. They played awesome ball.
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY!! RED SOX WIN!! [legion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've lived and died with those guys since the '67 world series, when the Redbirds and Gibson took it to 'em. I was born and raised in Detroit, but I can remember many a time, when I lived in Newport, Rhode Island and Groton, Connecticut, going up to Fenway and watching the wretched performances that they used to put on. That was back in the days of Dave Stapleton at first and an aging outfield of Yaz, Rice and Lynn, along with Dwight Evans (the BEST).

Their starting pitching, and relief, left something to be desired, and Wade Boggs was just a rookie. Glad to see that they've FINALLY gotten the monkey off their backs.

YEAH!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn! you beat me to it.

86 years, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY!! RED SOX WIN!! [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but every time they got close and lost it, it was like a gut punch to me. Gawd....I still get bunged up about the '86 fiasco!

Victory is sweet. I've even got a guy that works for me who lives a few blocks over from Fenway. We all chipped in and got him a new Red Sox polo shirt on EBay a couple of months ago. I imagine he's down at his favorite bar in Waikiki right now, screaming deliriously and sucking down huge amounts of beer :-) Lucky bastard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life is good.

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had to bump this up to page 1. The curse is over!!!

D.
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY!! RED SOX WIN!! [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The curse is reversed!

That ass-clown Steinbrenner called all the high Yank mucky-mucks down to Florida the other day to discuss this serious turn of events. There might actually be a little competition for a few years, if the Sox can keep their free agents :-)

I just feel bad for guys like Yaz and Rice and Evans and Williams (though he's dead) and hell, all the 80 year-old Sox fans who just now get to celebrate a long-overdue Series victory.

Now, let's move on to the Cubs ;-) I figure by 2020, they'll have a serious shot at making it into the Series. They oughta win by 2045 or so ;-))

Red Barber Kahuna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Cubs ever win the series ... I'll give up being a baseball fan. Clowns. Blatant Clowns.

The Cubbie organization makes more money by being losers than they ever would being winners. I don't want to see that rewarded. Man, I am one bitter and pissy Cardinal fan today.

It's time to start the pool on what the Yankees team payroll will be next year. 250mil? 275 mil? dare I say 300M?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: FINALLY!! RED SOX WIN!! [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steinbrenner will go 300 mil if he has to, to keep the Yanks on top. If you can't do it through the farm system, you might as well go buy a team every year. His cable and TV and merchandising deals alone oughta be able to afford him the luxury of dropping fat cash on some more free agents.

The Redbirds just ran into a hot, hot team right now, and the middle of the Cardinal batting order got but 1 or 2 hits all series. Can't overcome good starting pitching if you're not gonna hit the ball. Other than Game 1, the Cardinal bats died a painful death.

Well, there's always next year. And the Cards have at least won within the last couple of decades ;-) And given the Sox history, it'll be another 60 or more years before they're back on top ;-))

Johnny Pesky Kahuna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Other than Game 1, the Cardinal bats died a painful death.[/reply]

Now, Big K, I said I was HAPPY for the Sox. But now you just gotta go rubbin' it in. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All it took was a Total Lunar Eclipse ... Who Knew???

So this lifelong Eagles fan dies and is sent to hell. Being a cocky sort he immediately gets on Satan's REAL BAD side. Satan turns the heat & humidity WAY, WAY UP. A couple days later he checks in on the dude. The fan is showing no sign of enhanced suffering.

"C'mon man, I've lived on South Jersey all my life. This is just like Wildwood in August. No problem"

Satan goes the other way, and turns the A/C on full blast. It's frosty cold and snowing. When Satan comes to check on the guy again he's jumping up and down celebrating.

"Why are you so damned happy???" asks Satan.

"The Eagles won the Super Bowl!!! The Eagles won the Super Bowl!!!"

Feel free to substitute "Red Sox," "Massachusetts," "Some Suburb of Boston" where appropriate.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. I'm a life long Sox fan, and I feel a bit like I'm floating. '75 is a faint memory, but I remember Rick Wise and Bill Lee and El Tiante and have seen Carlton Fisk jump up and down 1000 times since. '78 was largely self-inflicted and still pisses me off. '86 burns like pepperoni pizza on my acid reflux. But now, all is forever changed in The Nation. Thank you Mr. Henry, Mr. Werner, Mr. Lucchino, Theo ... St. Curt, Pedro, Manny, Johnny. Thank you Ted Williams and Johnny Pesky. Thank you Yaz, Dewey, Jim Ed, Bill Campbell, The Eck, Bruce Hurst, and Bob Stanley. Thank you Boston, for raising me so insane for a silly sports team with a bloated budget and a quirky, wonderful park. Thank you Yankees for being so utterly hateable. Thank you dad, for sharing with me the passion of sports, and for knowing the final score of the West Coast games when I woke up the next morning. Can you believe it's over? This never happens. It just doesn't ....

So thank you fellow STers, for recognizing that, as irrational as professional sports fandom may be, this is a special day.
Quote Reply