Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider?
Quote | Reply
BOPer, 210#, first Ironman planned for March. My tri bike came with Spinergy Xaeros front and back which have both gone out of true several times in 6 months and broken spokes. I'm not hitting anything very rough with them, seems spontaneous. I'm terrified they'll go out on me on race day after all the training. Recommendations for wheels that won't go out of true for $500 or less for both?
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [reliantkcar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocity Spartacus 14 guage straight spokes. You could maybe by four of them for $500.00. I have about 3000 miles on mine, never been touched by a spoke wrench, very true.

Used Hed 3's could be the ticket, too, if you want race wheels. Darn near bombproof wheels.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [reliantkcar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try 32 spoke silver Mavic open pro rims , on campy record 10 sp.hubs, two wheels $300 bones for the set. Performance Bike ,,, they are on back order for campy , I just got my last one.

I have seen them in shimano as well , . 6'6" 230lb
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [Helitech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Helitech's recs - you would have a hard time breaking an old Mavic Open Pro and they can be had relative cheap. Not very aero though, but it sounds like you mainly want to finish. The 6 minutes the aero wheels might save you (guessing about 2 mins per 40K times trial based on Cobb's work minus 2 minutes for not riding fast enough to matter) will probably not matter after 6 hours on the bike.

Quote | Reply
Mavic Open Pro rims with Shimano hubs have worked great for me in training. I paid $275 for both wheels. Very durable. Hed3's are great race wheels for big guys, but you ain't gonna find'em for under $500(for both). The Mavic Cosmos are also around $300. This is what some of the pros in Europe ride on in the spring races when they are going over cobblestones and need super durable wheels. I saw the Cosmos on competitivecyclist but performance might have them too.
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [Helitech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the Mavic Open Pro guys. I'm only 185 and trashed one on what I thought was a not-so-bad bump. I've hit MUCH worse on the Spartacus...not a wobble. Plus, the Spartacus at has a deeper rim section...might be more aero and stronger because of that rim depth. But, that's just a guess, I have no articles to cite, it's just my experience with the two wheels.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Velocity, I weigh 215.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [bigclyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i second that

i'm running open pros on 105 hubs, and they've been better than my kysrium elites.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titan wrote Don't know about the Mavic Open Pro guys. I'm only 185 and trashed one on what I thought was a not-so-bad bump. Yeah maybe, I put a wobble in my Cheap set of Rolf wheels, which are real deep aero rim. With less spokes they are harder to true after a tweak. The Open pros have been a favorite for years ,with a long production run . With a rim weight of 420 - 430 grams and still strong, ride any tire that will hold 120 - 130 psi and stay on, with regular weight tubes( super lite shit blows out too much ) . Most roads are smooth around here ,but I will hit some road trash / pot hole or hop a curb once a month, and have had good luck with that setup I think aero wheels advantage are meaningless if your over 200 lb ,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocity Deep V rims with Ultegra hubs, 32 spoke. I weigh 215 and sometimes ride on some pretty rough roads. I've had them for a year and a half and have not had to true them. Cost me around $250 from Yaqui Bicycles.

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [jimmyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolff Vectors

OE on my Trek 2200 5 years ago. Many miles no problems and i am about 200lb. Cheap if you can still get them, but there must be an equivalent Bontranger wheel now.

Ksyriums on my new bike seem solid too and second all HED3 comments.

Good luck

Can't race for toffee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience there are any number of rim-hub combinations that will work fine, IF they're built right. My tribike training wheels are 28-spoke 650c Suns, and they're rock solid. I have 32-spoke 700c Open Pros on my road bike, and they're rock solid. I have 28-spoke Velocity Aeroheads as my tribike race wheels; they're rock solid. All are cross-three with Shimano Ultegra hubs, but I've also used 105 in the past. All of these wheels can be built for well under $500. Indeed, by bargain-basement shopping over the winter, my race wheels cost me $130.

I prefer double-butted spokes, but straight are workable, too. Obviously enough, I'm not a fan of low spoke-count, radial lacings. If I can avoid anodization, I do (hard these days). If I had the money, I'd get some Hed 3s, but I don't.

To re-emphasize, find someone who is willing to put in the time to properly build AND stress relieve wheels, or learn to do it yourself. (Jobst Brandt's The Bicycle Wheel will tell you everything you need to know.) Personally, I love building wheels. It's very zen.

Good luck in your IM!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
210 is not really that big but much to heavy for Xaeros, The Velocity Spaticus wheels are strong and inexpensive.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Any recs for cheap wheels that won't untrue under heavy rider? [jimmyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have sVeleocity deep rims, 32 spoke laced three cross and they seem very strong. By the way, I weigh about 210lbs. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/...3,762&TextMode=0

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velomax circuits - http://www.velomax.com/...ers_det_Circuit.php3

found mine for $350.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
240# here riding Ksyrium Elite's for the past two years. Love them.

PS: Started riding them at 285#

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply