Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What does your boss/coworkers think? [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I get into a dispute over a contentious issue with another firm I challenge them to settle it with a 5k race in lieu of the Board of Appeals. At which point they usually back down.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Last edited by: Goodtime: Oct 28, 04 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: What does your boss/coworkers think? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar situation to RA below. I live only a 10 minute walk from my office and my gym is on the way. I can get up at 5:45am, have breakfast and be at the gym swimming by 6:40 - gets me into the office by 8:30. Then work till 9 or 10 (order dinner into the office), a quick walk home and in bed by 11. This gets me about 60 hours of work and 4+ hours of training during weekdays. On weekends I get up about 9am and have a leisurely breakfast and then a 2 hour+ ride, then into the office and work from noon or so until 10 pm. Total work week about 80 hours and about 8 hours of training.

You're right though, it's not fun, it's not relaxing and it's not healthy. It's certainly not sustainable for the long haul unless you're a certified workaholic. Hence my conversation today with my partner.

Quote | Reply
Your last paragraph nicely summed up my approach for today. Over the last year I've discreetly let them know that even when I was doing ridiculous hours I was still getting up the next morning to train (usual comment "that's crazy...don't know how you can do that"). So they know I can keep it together and charge large. In my opinion, I believe I've more than shown adequate commitment and dedication, etc., and feel it's time to get some balance back in my life.

Sounds like we have the same work schedule - I had a 6+ week period this summer, and just came off a 4 week period, without a single day off. I feel I must let them know I can't do that next year if I'm going to adequately prepare for IM. You're also correct in that 20 training hours may be the extreme, but that is only my opening position.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers

Last edited by: jsivvy: Oct 28, 04 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: What does your boss/coworkers think? [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My supervisor is a ret. army ranger who used to do extreme alpine skiing in his downtime. He probably thinks I'm a p*ssy!

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: What does your boss/coworkers think? [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hoping I can get the moral support of everyone as well as a wee break in my work schedule. Not issuing ultimatums per se, but am going to state 80hr weeks are not sustainable. The charity approach is interesting....

Quote | Reply
*Update*

Just had the discussion with my partner (a day late). I said I didn't expect any real impact on work but that 80-90 hr weeks would not be workable with the training volume I foresee, especially in late spring and summer. Referenced I believed I'd put in enough time over the last year and it was time I had some balance back in my life. His response, "I think it's a great thing you're trying to do....you've worked hard enough and you deserve the chance. We can make this work." I think that the predicted lower work load for the next 6-9 months had a large factor in this, but I'll take what I can get. He did finish with, "I still think you're crazy". Overtraining (and a new bike) here I come!

Quote | Reply
Sounds like the situation worked out .... now that we are involved we expect weekly training reports and a race report :)

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: *Update!* [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J - Good for you man! And you are crazy. We are all crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: *Update!* [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Color me an a-hole, but this kinda pisses me off. To me at least, it sounds like the partner feels like he's doing you a favor or reducing his expectations of you, even though expectations were clearly unrealistic. Many are just too quick to kowtow to their employers.

But of course, take what you can get!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: *Update!* [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not disagree with your view. One of the options I considered was a new job...however, the time/stress of looking for one while working outweighed the 'kowtowing' to the employer.

Quote | Reply
Totally hear you. The total sum of pain is sometimes greater when you try to do something about it.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next