Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does a fuel belt weigh you down for a marathon?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have advice for wearing or not wearing a fuelbelt for a marathon. There will be Cytomax every 2.5 miles and I'm also going to bring 5-6 gels. I just don't have a race shirt other than my tri singlet (which is really tight and probably won't be comfortable for 26) that has a pocket in it... So I'm wondering if i should use the race belt to hold the gels... Will this added weight slow me down?

Thanks

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does a fuel belt weigh you down for a marathon? [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used a Fuelbelt extensively in training and do not use it in racing for the exact reson you point out. That think is heavy when it is fully loaded.

When you have aid stations at your disposal I figure it is best to make use of those if possible. That darn Fuelbelt is a great thing for training, but on race day it is too heavy for me.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the Chicago marathon I used an amphipod belt to carry my gels (I also use this to stash stuff and run home from work in order to combine commute with training) http://www.amphipod.com/airlite/airlite.html - I used the airlite, but there are lots of options. It is light and comfortable and relatively inexpensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can tolerate the race provided drinks I'd highly recommend you ditch the fuelbelt.

It's heavy and you paid for a catered race, why not take full advantage of it?
Quote Reply
Re: Does a fuel belt weigh you down for a marathon? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless of course you can't stomach what they will be serving at the aid stations. I can't stomach Gatorade, Cytomax or any of that stuff. I will be wearing a 2 flask Fuel belt next year for IM Lake Placid so I can carry my gel flasks easier.

I don't like to rely on the aid stations having what I need or want. I like to be extra prepared. But that's just me.

M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently took a few minutes off my half-marathon PR while wearing a fuel belt (capacity for 4 water bottles and one gel flask -- only filled two of the bottles). Had never worn one at this distance before. I liked having the luxury of taking a swig whenever I felt like it, particularly when my watch said to take a gel but I wasn't near a water stop. I plan to wear it at the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you get one of those Nathan 5k or 10k belts. Very light and holds that many gels easy. Comfortable and doesn't bounce.

-mike
Quote Reply
Post deleted by inigomontoya [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a pouch made by GU that is just a little bigger than a gu packet and clips onto your shorts. It can hold a bunch of gu packets (I've probably had about 7 at a time in there)
Quote Reply
Re: Does a fuel belt weigh you down for a marathon? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a GU packet in your shorts? Too much info!
Quote Reply
Re: Does a fuel belt weigh you down for a marathon? [DISKA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't know what Cameron Brown does but he must know the secret to making this belt efficient. "

Perhaps getting a paycheck from them helps a bit...

Personally, I think the Amphipod belts are superior to the Fuel Belt in every way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some shorts also have a small rear pocket. I have a pair from sporthill that are very nice. Pocket is small - I'm not sure if it can fit that many gels.....

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about getting a pair of Race Ready running shorts. Awesome shorts for holding stuff. I also use Lava Salts' race belt. It holds your race number instead of pinning it to your shirt AND holds 8 gels.

Quote Reply
Re: Does a fuel belt weigh you down for a marathon? [DISKA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was the gel flask stored upside down in the gel holster? i use hammer gels which have a high viscosity but i have no trouble getting it out of the flask when it is stored in this manner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not nearly as much as my fat ass does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do NOT count on aid stations for your GUs!!! I've had too many friends die in marathons because they didn't bring their own fuel. I run with a GU flask in one hand. It weighs almost nothing and you can get enough GU in it to last you for 26+. ALSO. Add a little water to it, so it isn't so GU'ey - last race I ran it was cold and the damn stuff went almost solid on me. I raced the last 10 miles on the edge of a bonk because I couldn't get more than a smidge every time I squeezed. Another thing I do is add a little whey protein to the GU/water mix.

Quote | Reply
Have to second the Race Ready shorts esp for the marathon. They are simple, can hold a ton of stuff and you will never know you are carrying.

You will have plenty of fluids along any course but gels many times are scarce. Plus I believe that your gel that you are used to may not be the gel of choice for your race.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a fuel belt weigh you down for a marathon? [LMS11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your going to be wearing gloves, a gel fits nicely on top of each hand and in each palm.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train and race with an old style Fuel belt. I don't trust aid stations (either they run out or don't have what you are used to) after too many races. I believe (like most people) that you should race as you train. I have my favorite drink and gel. I don't want to try something I'm not used to during a race that you've invested so much into - it isn't worth it.

During training, I load my Fuel Belt with the 'right' amount of supplies for that specific run... I can eat and drink on my own schedule. I know people who 'withhold' drinking and gel'ing until they hit the next 1 or 2 mile marks. I think that you should eat and drink when you need it - NOT when it is available. Your body is a machine like a car - if it is low on gas, do you wait until the next even 100 miles (trying to figure out if that Empty light is really working or not) or do you fill it up when it is needed.

During half or full IM races with plenty of aid stations, I'll leave T2 with ONE bottle filled with my drink and ONE filled with the powder mix (to stay light). I'll bring enough gel to finish. I grab a drink at every aid station (if I am used to that drink - Cytomax or plain water) to supplement what I am carrying. When I'm out of the first bottle, I'll fill the other with water from an aid station.

The new style of Fuel belts make me happy that I bought mine when I did. The old ones were simple wide elastic straps. I run in one piece tri suit and have never had an irritation from the belt - I don't know if that would be true with the new style. Just do a long run in you race getup and try it.

In the end - don't believe me... you have to try it both ways for yourself.

(sound like you're doing the Soma...? See you there)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it weigh you down? Yes. If you go by the standard 1oz weight savings equals 1 second per mile saved, then two 7oz Fuel Belt bottles will slow your time by almost 3 minutes over a marathon. (assuming you take 3.5 oz every 5 miles) Now if you don't take any gel you will be slowed down a lot more than that. My advise? Wear a belt and take you gel early in the race. That way your body has time to process the gel and get it into your muscles for the last 10k. Also that way you aren't carrying full bottles the whole way.
As far as not being able to get the gel out of the flask: I put 2 gels in a flask and dilute it to 7oz. It takes a minute to shake it up, but I have had no problems getting it to dissolve. It has come out easily for me using that method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For long training miles I use it regularly. I don't really like to race in it cuz I feel the belt restricts my intestines making it difficult to eat energy bars, gels or drinks.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would not depend on race to have what they say they will have. Sometimes they run out, aid stations are not always set up the same format. Cannot tell you the number of times I have been handed gatorade/powerade when was expecting water.

I train with a fuel belt and occassionally race with one. But when I do i make sure that I have friends in the crowd that i can throw empty bottles to. I will eventually throw the entire belt as I tend to spill water on myself and sweat a lot so the fuel belt does become heavier as the race goes on. It may be against the rules in some races to do this so check with the race director.

I also wear de soto shorts with side pockets to store my gus.
Quote Reply