Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spec'ing a 2005 P3 SL
Quote | Reply
Group,

I am about to take the plunge and get an order in for a 2005 Cervelo P3 SL. (FYI - I have one of the original black 2000 P3's size 54 all dura ace w/ a Zipp disk, Corima 4 spoke and mid V front, that I will then be putting on the market in the spring). I plan to get a 53 w/ 700 wheels. I have reviewed the components that come with it and would like thoughts on:

1) Bars - it is spec'd with Vision alloy bars. I have always had Syntace and really like them. What do folks think of the Vision, and should I then consider upgrading to the carbon Tri Max bars? How do the Vision work w/ a front bottle?

2) Cranks are spec'd w/ FSA carbon. Is that good, or should I go with the complete Dura Ace group?

3) Race wheels - I plan to go with Zipp 909.

4) Anything else I should ask, or you should tell me?

I would appreciate any insight or thoughts. Many thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Spec'ing a 2005 P3 SL [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if moneys not a very big object I'd:

1. Vision Carbon Tri Max or the Red Oval A900's.
2. I'd prefer black cranks on a black bike, but that's just me.
3. Zipp 909's. Fine. Either go with the new dimpled 404 up front, or try and find something a little more exotic. (Lightweight, Xlab, Nimble, ect....)
4. What kind of seat are you planning on using? If you don't have one picked out already, might I suggest the azoto apside, or the red/white version of the FSA saddle. I'd call for red or white bar tape (depending on whether or not you get red Zipp wheels.) Might I also suggest looking at red tires for the Zipp. Just my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just spec it exactly like Basso's during the Final TT in the tour. Don't forget the straight extensions with the third aero brake lever.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I really like the hed bars. Kinda spendy, yeah. But very nice. Either with S-bend, ski-bend, or straight extensions -- your choice. But, the Visiontech bars are super nice also. Probably a wash.

2. I'd go with DA ... that's me. I don't dig on carbon cranks. And, Shimano chainrings will always shift better.

3. World of choices here. Can't go wrong with the Zipps. But I think the Reynolds tubulars look great. Sounds like you've already got a good wheel arsenal.

4. Pedals. This could be a good time to try a new pedal system. The new Times look awesome. I've been on Speedplay X-2 for almost 9 years (the same pair!), and will be switching to the Times this winter.

Lucky you. Christmas in October.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey David,

Small world. I am specing my new P3SL for the upcoming Laguna Phuket Triathlon as well. I agree with your component spec. Here is my configuration:

53cm P3SL.

Visiontech aero base bar and 250mm carbon bolt-on aerobar.

Shimano Dura-Ace drivetrain including brakes, shifters, cogset (11-23) and derailleurs.

FSA Carbon Compact cranks, 50/34, 175mm (specing compact for now due to the brutal hills at Laguna Phuket known as the "Tiger's Back"- a short, hellishly steep little set of lumps in the first 15 km. of the bike that really had its way with me last year.)

Fizik Arione Tri saddle.

Shimano Dura-Ace SPD SL pedals.

ITM Millenium stem (I think).

Zipp 909 race wheels.

TUFO tires.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spec'ing a 2005 P3 SL [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I am specing my new P3SL for the upcoming Laguna Phuket Triathlon as well.

FSA Carbon Compact cranks, 50/34, 175mm (specing compact for now due to the brutal hills at Laguna Phuket known as the "Tiger's Back"- a short, hellishly steep little set of lumps in the first 15 km. of the bike that really had its way with me last year.) [/reply]

Hey Tom, just curious as to why you're going with the P3SL over your R2.5 Carbon Nice build. I would have thought that the Nice bike would be perfect for Laguna Phuket?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Spec'ing a 2005 P3 SL [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple things happened. First, I did an analysis of the total time I would be on the Tiger's Back (in Thailand) vs. The total time spend on the Col de Vence at Nice.

They are utterly disproportionate.

I will be climbing on the Tiger' Back at Laguna Phuket for a total time of under 10 minutes. It is an ugly 10 minutes, but total time of less than 10 minutes. The remainder of the course is contested on relatively flat terrain where an aero posture, disk wheel and aero frame will net some big time savings- especially over 34 miles in humid, dense air.

At the Nice Triathlon I was climbing for well over an hour total, maybe closer to two hours ascending the Col de Vence, a Category 2 climb in Tour de France vernacular, and the other climb- also long and tough- forgot the name. And then there are the descents. At one point coming down off Col de Vence there are 16 switchbacks in 5 km. Greg LeMond told me the week before the race that descent is "sketchy". so, I wanted to descend on a bike with nimble, road bike handling. That is my trusty R2.5.

Besides, this P3SL is sick looking. I have a new flat black Giro Atmos helmet, all blacked out Hed Tri Suit, and a matt black P3SL. I'll look cool all blacked out.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear that Cervelo will build bikes with Campagnolo components. If you're going all-out, why not go for Record 10 components.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

In respect to your choice of tires. Are those Tufos the clincher variety? I thought you were a big supporter of tubular tires? Does this mean that you are switching. Just curious. Good luck at Laguna Phuket. BTW. A friend and I would like to come up for a fitting. What is usually the best time to come up and meet with ya'll. We will be coming from Alabama...

Thanks..

Craig in Alabama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh - that makes sense. Thank you for the in-depth explanation, and best of luck to you in Thailand.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Spec'ing a 2005 P3 SL [craigtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TUFO tubulars only.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're going to wear a black outfit in Phuket ? Are you crazy ? That place will melt you on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is dangerous. My fist hurts.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Spec'ing a 2005 P3 SL [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is black less fitting than another color?

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice set up. You will have to wait for your carbon vision bars though. Apparently there won't be any carbon one piece bars until well after xmas. Be sure to post pics when that animal is up and running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Thanks for the reply....your bike sounds great...and my size too! Are your clip ons Vision? How does that work with a front bottle holder?

Note, that I am planning on mine for early spring or so. Any sense waiting for the P3 Carbon, or is that unnecessary and/or wishing thinking?

Any other thoughts you have...I believe you and me are about the same size, age, and ability.

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply