Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike or Race wheels?
Quote | Reply
Having just returned from my honeymoon, it would appear that my new wife is willing to okay a significant tri purchase (guess it helped that I greenlighted some major purchases of hers at the Prada outlet outside of Florence).

My question is, should I invest in some serious race wheels, or spend a little more and get a road bike? I've been really enjoying cycling, but I sometimes have an itch to ride with the roadies around here, which I won't do (I know they're not keen on aero bars, and I don't want to put them in a bad position by showing up on my current bike). Conversely, I'm doing IMC, and would love the weight/aero advantage of some new wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike or Race wheels? [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can make a disc for around $60. You can't make a road bike. I could not imagine not having a road bike.

While race wheels will give you a small advantage in a race, the rest of the year they're just sitting there.

Have you never owned a road bike? The rides we do have too many turns and places where you need to shift and brake quickly to keep up. I would miss that feeling of speeding in a group, or out of a turn or shifting fast up a hill if I only had a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike.

No brainer. You can always rent race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get both. Purchase a fifty dollar CH Aero cover and then a sed Hed Jet60/Cx off ebay for a hundred and then you're state of the art aero wise. Then get a nice used road bike and join a roadie group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From your post I'm gonna assume that you only have a tri bike...If that is the case my vote is for the road bike...I couldnt imagine not having one to train on .... for that matter its the only one I race on to since I can not afford a tri bike also.

Hope it helps

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a CYCLOCROSS bike!

You can use it for riding w/ the roadies, commuting, CX-training/racing, easy trail riding...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a tri bike with roadies all the time, with aerobars on the bike....You don't have to use the aerobars just because they're on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By All means get the road bike... there is something to be said about riding ing groups... no longer training it is ... GASP ... FUN

I think it is the best way to get faster on the bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike or Race wheels? [Shony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, go with a CX bike. It is more versatil than a road bike, plus there is very little different when it comes to group rides if you have a CX bike. I raced crits, road races, tris and CX races all on one bike without a problem. This last winter I found a used road bike and picked it up. Granted it is nicer to have the road bike, it did not affect my performances that much. Heck I used to keep my commuter rack on the back of my bike for races.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triple the CX recommendation....

I'm so thrilled with my Felt F1x that I sold my road bike. (bought the frame set and built it up....)

Don't believe the CH aero cover hype. They are gay. ;o)
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike or Race wheels? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Don't believe the CH aero cover hype. They are gay. ;o) "

Hey, wind tunnel testing doesn't lie. Neither does 100% heterosexual Cerveloguy.
Quote Reply