Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Okay, Now What ...
Quote | Reply
I am in the middle of a problem brought on entirely by myself, so what better place to get opinions than Slowtwitch and the fine minds that inhabit the Forums ...

I currently work for a very large (Fortune 30) company and relocated from the Rocky Mtns to the midwest about 15 months ago. I've spent 4 yrs in sales (successfully) and two years in marketing (also successfully). The company plans to send me back to a sales role, in a location that is "to be determined." The better half and I have spent the last 14 months complaining about the midwest and trying to get transferred back with my company ... no dice. So, in my infinite wisdom, I figured I'd get on the job market and see what happened.

I just got an offer from a much smaller company back in the same town we moved from not too long ago. The offer is nice, more pay, relocation assistance, etc., but the healthcare and retirement isn't quite as good. However, I would stay in the marketing/general management career field and would be helping to create the department and be influential in corporate strategy. Additionally, my better half would be able to return to her job as an Associate Professor (with tenure). Bad news is that the little guys deal with a nanny for a few hours each day (about 25 per week) until they get in school (next year for the oldest, three years for the youngest).

The company I currently work for is considered "one of the best" and in the old days, once you were in, you were in (i.e., deliver good work, the company takes care of you for a career). They are also greatly diversified and have outperformed the broad market over the past four years. However, in the new days, I have already been through 2 rounds of downsizing. Additionally, once I return to sales, I'm there for good and will most likely move several times during the next 25-30 yrs. Immediate possible locations include the northeast, Idaho, or remaining in the midwest.

The potential company has been around for 14 yrs, without a single layoff, and has moved three times in the past 10 yrs to accomodate growth. However, they have a very narrow, almost niche, line of products.

If anyone has been in a similar situation, I'd appreciate thoughts or input. Heck, I'm at the point that I'll take thoughts and input from anyone, since I posted here.

Muchas Gracias, drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Okay, Now What ... [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't even hesitate to move back.

Your wife's tenure trumps any security you might perceive from BigNameCo.

Plus you like the old town.

Plus you won't have to constantly move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My spouse is in sales/marketing and I hear about this kind of stuff all the time. Sounds like you should take the new job. Your experience with the big company will always be on your resume and will always be a positive. And, the vast majority of people do not stay with one company for an entire career anymore; change is not a negative. Just make sure you maintain your contacts with important recruiters in the industry in case anything ever happens that would require you make a change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Accept the job offer and then walk in to your boss's office and tell him you want a raise and to move back where you were before. If he doesn't fall on the floor laughing, you just might get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Okay, Now What ... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, to wrap up the saga, we decided to chuck the corporate security (and rat race) and head back to the Rockies (cue the John Denver CD).

A buddy of mine just sent pictures from the Wasatch where he was skiing for the week, which went a long way to justify my decision. We will, unfortunately, not be near the mountains in UT, but CO is not too shabby. Our only worry now is selling the house in the midwest, so if anyone is moving to the Cinci area, we have a great house on the market.

Thanks all for the input.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate you.

Born and raised in Denver but my fiance is currently employed with a fortune 30 company in the Cinci area. She just accepted a new position and we are "stuck" here for 3 more years.

The only carrot is that her next assignment, hopefully, will be Geneva.

You made the right decision. Good Luck.

Go Broncos!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Okay, Now What ... [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if your fiance and I work for the same company ...

Geneva would be a great next move, my wife has been there several times and loves it. Pretty expensive, but I bet the training is great, along with the scenery and non-work activities. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the kind words, and go Broncos, Buffs and Falcons (props to my institutions of higher learning). We cannot wait to move and I cannot wait to get the "big" little guy on skis this year.

drn92
Last edited by: drn92: Nov 8, 04 17:45
Quote Reply