Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Maylene in person... [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halle Berry? You really know how to flatter a girl ;)

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Re: Maylene in person... [maylene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're in NC aren't you? how is it there?
either Greensboro area or charlotte...may move there next year...
still asking everyone how these areas are.
Quote Reply
Re: Maylene in person... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am probably the last person you should ask! I am originally from Huntington Beach, CA and moved out here 6 years ago. Due to family reasons I am not able to move back but would in a heartbeat.

I currently live in Morrisville which is right outside Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill. People love this area because it has mild temperatures compared to the North or South. However because of the humidity I find the heat of the summer unbearable. Remember, I am from the beach where humidity is the spray from the ocean. I am use to temperatures in the 80-90s in the summer with cool nights and winters that may dip in the 50's.

People like that the beach or the mountains are only 2 hours away. They are beautiful. And there are trees all over the place. If you don't know what exit you need off the highway do not expect to find it based on landmarks.

Real estate prices are relatively lower here. My townhome in Cali, which now goes for about $400k would be about $170k here. Prices are about $100 a square foot.

There are many country roads to ride but I would not consider them safe, but that can be anywhere. Again, I am used to bike lanes and wider streets not 2 lane highways where rednecks think it's fun to play chicken or honk their horns at you while flying by. I was hit by a car last year, a hit and run, so I may be a bit bitter still :)

It is a common notion that people are friendlier in the south. That may be true but I have to say I prefer the straight-forwardness of Cali. Unfortunately, I have run into quite a few people that will stab you in the back in a heartbeat while smiling and offering a "sweet tea". Another thing I find with people here is that this is a place that has been inhabited by a lot of people "looking" for a new start whether it is in business, family, whatever. Some of these people have not grasped the fact that changed lives do not come from a change in geography.

I believe you currently live in Texas? And you are moving due to a change in job status? The humidity may not be an issue for you. I would bet this area is quite similar to what you are already use to.

I have to say that I am definitely in the minority when it comes to not loving NC. I do notice that you rarely find someone from Cali staying here. I would trade the big yard for my little townhouse back home by the beach by all my family in a second.

Sorry if it sounds negative - good luck on your decision and let me know if you have specific information you need.

maylene jackson, cscs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am in west Texas. when we get 10% humidity, we are lucky..both my wife and I have asthma so it really knocks us down big time and because we get tired more often, we get sick more often too...saw more docs here than in the rest of my life.
we were on the gold coast in Oz before, and love it when it's humid...really humid....didn't even have AC in Oz and that was fine...here is so hard for us...so humid is fine!
thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if someone would post some pics of the coconuts we could match you two up side by side and determine that, indeed, young Miss Berry is little more than the Lucilla to your Charybdis, or some such;.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Maylene in person... [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, you appear much taller in person, and delerium or not, you're more attractive in person than in pictures....just be glad it's not the reverse!

Thanks - I am flattered.

I am about 5'9", taller than most Chinese but not Yao

And I have been told by my friends that I really need to smile in those pix and wear spandex rather than cotton. The thing is, I am trying to sell the exercise, not me.

I go for much more than $34.95 ;)

maylene jackson, cscs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly though, that calendar idea is a goer...

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*watches the spading*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw you from the back seat of my car as I was being driven to my final resting place. I came down with the flu on Thursday night and by Saturday a.m. I was in pretty ugly shape. I did the swim hoping I could work through it (I always try this and it never works but I've never learned to bag a workout or race.) but after taking a 1:34 instead of about 1:10 I knew I was toast. I did get on the bike for a few miles (my speedo stopped working-must have had sympathy pains) but don't know how far. I was about 3:20 into the race.

Dom's team, Nutrilite, finished second despite a mediocre swim and run from Dom. Bill Vetter smoked the bike course in about 5:24, which included a broken chain! He carried a chain tool, fortunately, and fixed it in a few minutes. He probably would have had the fastest bike split of the day but for the chain. I gotta' tell you, 5:24 on that course is very fast. The wind was hellacious, and my toes were frozen for over an hour. Did anyone mention the hills? Do they stop somewhere? :) Good luck at IMFL, Bill. You are ready. :)

Yes, you had some kinda' coconuts, at least from where I was sitting. :) Thanks for your help at the race. The volunteers were awesome and Mr. Scott's team did a wonderful job implementing the race.

I'll see you next year.

Now, where is my DVD? :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwipat wrote: Titan, who would best represent your good self on the big screen?

Dustin Hoffman as in "Rainman"? Jim Carey? Rin-Tin-Tin? Nemo?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, I agree with Maylene, I wouldn't want to bike on most of those roads without the police force that was out there (49 police on a 50 mile circuit!). Some of those roads I would consider OK, but, it's just too narrow and hilly in many areas, and the wider roads have too much high-speed traffic on them. I don't know this particular area to suggest nearby suitable roads, but, I'd be uncomfortable on them. I imagine Maylene would be subject to more trouble than I would due to some of the less-enlighted drivers and passengers there.

Maylene, I know many will hate that I agree with you, but: yep, you'd be too much of a distraction in spandex. Smart move to stick to cotton for a workout video.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwipat wrote: Titan, who would best represent your good self on the big screen?

Dustin Hoffman as in "Rainman"? Jim Carey? Rin-Tin-Tin? Nemo?

You really should give yourself more credit- I was thinking more along the lines of Michael Ontkean (sp?) or maybe John Corbett ;)

maylene jackson, cscs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of those roads I would consider OK, but, it's just too narrow and hilly in many areas, and the wider roads have too much high-speed traffic on them.

Fortunately I live rather close to the Duke and Duke half courses (within 30 min) and they are both nice areas to cycle with relatively little traffic. There are a few stretches that I tend to be a bit more cautious though. Ironically, the only time I was close to being hit on that Duke course was actually during the race. The first year it was storming quite badly and most of the police stayed in their cars instead of directing traffic. I took a right turn and barely missed a van that had went past the police trying to stop him. Luckily I turned quickly and ended up on the shoulder with a few scrapes instead. I also got a nice little nip on the ankle from one of the dogs out there. Fun race :)

maylene jackson, cscs
Quote Reply
Re: Maylene in person... [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bill Scott says the Blue Devil iron distance is definitely on for next year.

"Girls of Slowtwitch" calendar? Oh dear...

alicia

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Last edited by: aliciap: Oct 23, 04 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you live that close to those races?? I guess you'll be getting to billet some athletes for next years races. Where is the sign up sheet? Maybe I'll just come down and be a volly...long as I don't have to wear the coconuts...all day:-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her personality says everything; she is the most beautiful person to grace these boards :-)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Maylene in person... [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Maylene has a wonderful disposition. But, that's not the first thing people would say to describe her. She certainly isn't just the "girl with the great personality", if you know what I mean. If I were single (I'm happily married), I would have asked her out at the first aid station when I met her. That's actually how I got to know my wife (well, not at an aid station), I was so stunned I thought, "If you never talk to this woman, you'll kick yourself tomorrow for letting the opportunity go by." Turns out, it was certainly the right risk to take. I imagine women, such as Maylene, aren't asked out nearly enough, because many men think they don't stand a chance with a woman that stunning. My wife is proof that you never know until you try, heck, even Lyle Lovett was married to Julia Roberts for a while!

Can you tell I'm in the Maylene fan club? My wife thinks I'm right about her, too...just to let you know it's not just a hazy Ironman aid station apparition that got twisted in my brain.

Quote Reply
Re: Maylene in person... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois, I live relatively close to Maylene in the outskirts of Cary. I have lived in NC all my life and may not be as "spoiled" as Maylene who has had the SoCal experience. I commute by bike at rush hour 8 months/year and find that to be pretty "interesting". But the country roads around here are pretty safe, especially on the weekends. I've been hit twice but I've been cycling for about 20 years now so that seems about average. If you are ever in the Raleigh area, look me up and we'll go for a swim. ride, or run. I would definitely recommend a visit before you commit to anything. Personally, I find the Raleigh area to be a little better than Greensboro and Charlotte. We have several soft running tracks, a nice urban park (Umstead) two public year-round pools, Inside Out, etc. Chale Hill where Pomeranyz lives is nice, too, and a real cycling hotbed. The cycling demographic here in Raleigh is a little different. There are tons of cyclists, but they are mostly the type that jump in their SUV's and drive to the group ride. IOW, it's a popular hobby here but not what I call a lifestyle. My commute is 7 miles one way to a college campus and I very rarely see other bike commuters even in the nicest of weather. Contrast this with places like Portland and Madison where everybody cycles regardless of weather.

As for the Blue Devil, I've done it twice but didn't make it there this year. I think prize money draws about 20-30 extra people. So it's probably a net loss for the race. What I think would make the race better and more popular is a flatter course. They could move the race to Wilmington and it would be PR city. Drafting could be a problem with a flat race like that, though.

Personally, I think my IM days are over. I enjoy the distance and am more competetive at it than any other distance. But the cost of even the cheap IM's is just more than I am willing to spend. Call me a scrooge, but I have trouble spending over $100 for any race.
Quote Reply
Re: Maylene in person... [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
john, please reconsider the Blue Devil. I THINK you can have your entry fee waived by raising money instead. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, I remember reading that somewhere (unless I was dreaming). One woman this year sent out 50 e-mails to people she knew, telling them what she was doing and why, got 38 replies and raised thousands of dollars. It's easier than you think (man, I hope I'm remembering the entry fee waiver thing correctly). I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't at least spread the word at my workplace, I COULD have, SHOULD have raised money for the cause. I felt a little self-conscious, I guess, and didn't know people were really interested that I was doing an Irondistance race, so I simply didn't try and raise any money. Let's find out about the waiver thing and report back here with the real deal. This could get you back on the course next year!

Quote Reply

Prev Next