Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, the real problem is when you're measuring your portions in kcals...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just make sure I catch the flu every year and I'm right back down to racing weight. It's very effective but not so great for training. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [kath21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was JUST about to post the same thing. I have strep, and have lost a good 10# from it! It's a good start ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That whole starvation mode thing & anorexics - most of them are clinically obese by body fat percentage. As was noted, they eat their muscle & organs for protein.

LovePugs, that was great about when patients make your day :) way to stay optimistic

AndyPants - I have way too much first hand knowledge on messing up my metabolism with yo yo dieting. Trying to correct it now. Patience is NOT my forte. Anyone have any experience to share for a successful reset?

----------------------
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. ~Michael Jordan
Quote Reply
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [ironmoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...messing up my metabolism with yo yo dieting.
Actually, it's been noted in recent studies that yoyo dieting does NOT cause the metabolism to slow/change.

Quote | Reply
"That whole starvation mode thing & anorexics - most of them are clinically obese by body fat percentage."

care to point to a reliable source to back that one up? True that muscles and organs are broken down - but not for protein; rather, the protein is made into glucose and burned for energy.

But to say that most anorexia sufferers are "clinically obese" by body fat % sounds incorrect to me. Body fat percentage may be higher than it appears because there's less lean weight - but once you meet the diagnostic criteria of 85% of an ideal body weight, a fair amount of both are gone.

As for metabolism restoration... take a base # of calories (say 1500, but it depends on where you're starting from) and every 3-7 days you increase that by 200-300 calories until you get to a normal level. best done under the guidance of a registered dietician but that's the basics of it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the body fat of an anorexic is the most dangerous kind - visceral adipose tissue, which increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, hypertension, diabetes...and is also the most difficult to see, as it surrounds the organs (also called intra-abdominal fat).

not only to anorexics tend to have more of this than the "control" groups in studies, they tend to gain it at a higher rate than regular subcutaneous fat if they do begin to eat a reasonable number of calories again.

i won't say that anorexics are necessarily obese by body fat percentage, but their increased visceral fat does put them in a fat-related elevated risk group.

http://www.arfamilies.org/...cs/what_cant_see.htm

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Really??? I suppose that's good news - granted, that means I'm cultivating my too-high body fat percentage and have been for my whole life :( In that case a big overhaul is needed to rethink my lack of muscle mass and changing it.

----------------------
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. ~Michael Jordan
Quote Reply
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
correct; you mentioned gaining weight back / fat and where it's gained; after long enough at a healthy and stable weight and calorie intake, it redistributes.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Calories are all tha matter when trying to lose weight... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that it does - all the more reason to encourage those with eating disorders to return to a healthy nutritional intake, in spite of the initial discouraging weight gain :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Prev Next