Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The religious symbols exception probably exists because it might violate a student's first amendment rights to bar him or her from wearing such symbols. Just speculating on this point, however. The first amendment jurisprudence is not particularly coherent.
I can buy that, but what religions mandate wearing of jewelry at all times, such that prohibiting them in a track meet constitutes prohibiting the free exercise of religion?

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
The religious symbols exception probably exists because it might violate a student's first amendment rights to bar him or her from wearing such symbols. Just speculating on this point, however. The first amendment jurisprudence is not particularly coherent.
I can buy that, but what religions mandate wearing of jewelry at all times, such that prohibiting them in a track meet constitutes prohibiting the free exercise of religion?
I don't really know of any such mandates, but that probably just displays my ignorance of different religious beliefs. And, again, I'm just kind of guessing about the reason for the exception, but it would be a logical reason for the exception.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rules are rules. The coach is at fault regardless of the motivation behind the "jewelry".
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Sikhs have a couple of things that are supposed to be worn on the body at all times including a small comb, a bracelet, and a dagger. The dagger would get banned durning athletics because of safety reasons, but the comb and bracelet are less likely to cause probelms and the athlete should be allowed to wear.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember any such rules when I was in high school...at least for track and cc. When and why were these sorts of rules brought in? Seems kind of ridiculous to me, but then there is always the case that folks will take anything to the extreme...like some bonehead wearing a huge $ sign bling or something. Anyway...I can't imagine why this is a rule at least for sports like track and cc. Someone help me out.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looping jewelry (hoop earrings, bracelets, necklaces) can get caught on things or other competitors.

Stiff jewelry can hurt someone. Not a whole lot of difference between a girl wearing four large rings on one hand and a girl wearing brass knuckles if she whacks you during a race.

Current NF uniform rules are insanely picky in some areas, but I can see their point with the jewely rules. You get kids new and inexperienced to the sport who haven't really figured out how to run in close quarters yet or how to throw a shot put without getting their hand caught up in their necklace, and it's for the most part a painless way to cut down on the dumb little and not so little injuries in that way. No need to have more than the usual fingernail (I've seen girls get accidentally cut that way bad enough by other girls that stitches would be appropriate) and spike bloodletting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next