Login required to post replies

Peter Reid's aero thingey.
Quote | Reply
http://www.peterreid.com/images/bike5.jpg

I guess every second counts!
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's aero thingey. [Drock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a Hooker front brake, to the best of my knowledge. About 8-10 years old. They sell for $200-300 on Ebay if you can find them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better shot of it for you

Shawn Skene
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More important that aero, I wonder if a cover could be made for rear brakes to help keep sweat and grime off the brakes so they would last longer between cleanings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be honest, this thread isn't what I was hoping for.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's aero thingey. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure an aero "thingy" is good for one's "performance".....

Is that the same brake that OLN showed on Lance's new TT frame on the Lance Chronicles prior to this year's tour?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is an aero thingey, because they never worked that well in the first place....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It needs a Bunnyman carbon front cover.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Suspect. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How aero is that really? Does it brake well? If it doesn't a weak front break ain't worth the time savings.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's aero thingey. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'll be honest, this thread isn't what I was hoping for.[/reply]

Yeah! I thought it was taking aerodynamics down to the level of shorts

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's aero thingey. [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing most men will not do what is necessary to be the most aero in this department. Ouch!

Quote | Reply
The Hooker brakes work fine....I have them on 3 different bikes. Besides, judging by those funky Profile levers that Pete also uses, I don't think he's really that interested in slowing down or stopping.;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's aero thingey. [Mike A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Lance used an old, early '80s, Shimano Dura-Ace AX brake. In the early '80s, Shimano made two Dura-Ace groups - the relatively traditional Dura-Ace EX, and the "Aero" Dura-Ace AX. The EX was pretty sweet. The AX had Shimano's first attempt at indexing, a step-shaped ramp on the rear derailleur. It also had some wedge-shaped brakes that had a cam mechanism. Lance has sometimes used them for their supposedly aerodynamic traits. They also had some of the first platform pedals, which had a funky, non-standard axle arrangement to permit the platform of the pedal to be lower than the axle centerline.
Last edited by: skater: Oct 12, 04 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's aero thingey. [skater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most of these brakes did not work as well as a standard brake, but were a little more aero just because the routing of the cable being right in line with the head tube,instead of being off to the side like a standard caliper brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's aero thingey. [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A rear cover would be illegal. I forget the exact rule number, but it basically states that you can't have any "aerodynamic aid" of any sort, as I had tried to make my own version of a Delta brake with a sidepull many, many moons ago. But the cover did keep down on the grime.
Quote Reply
Re: Suspect. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the aero front brakes don't work all that well. But the Hooker was probably the best out of all of them. Randallt mentioned the centre brake cable in the aerodynamics, but the size of the brake is very significant. The Hooker is a very small brake; and according to very good sources, the best as far as aerodynamics with a fork crown. I suspect it was tested with a Hotta fork, one of the very, very best forks aerodynamically.

I have had the Shimano AX and the Campy Delta. On a great day, they had marginal braking power. The AX was a teeny bit better, as the cable was not quite as much of a bear to get the correct length (and a bit more forgiving). The Campy is a pain in the ass, but looks beautiful, especially with a bunnyman institute cover. ;^)

I have had first-hand experience with the Hooker, just not first-hand owning experience. I thought it was as good as any monoplaner brake (nothing like a dual-pivot). I do wish I could get a hold of a Hooker brake for my aerobrake collection.

I also want the Zipp brake, the Modolo Kronos brake, and there was some other brake that copied the Hooker in a less elegant way.
Quote Reply