Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2nd Season Training
Quote | Reply
What are your recommendations for putting together a training calendar for the next season. Last season was my first. I compete in my last race this Sunday. I am focused on Internation distance and sprint distance.

Any direction/thoughts would be appreciated!

John
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd Season Training [jwkidd3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have The Triathletes Training Bible by Joe Friel?

I am also entering my second full year in the sport so I don't have a lot of first hand info to offer. I am reading the above mentioned book (which was the most reccomended book when I asked my club members). There are several variables that he talks about which will determine your calendar, available time, goals, ability.

For me, being a new father, available time is the key. Fortunately my wife is athletic and wants to do a century ride this year.

Everbody looks good at the starting line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your sports background? Do you have any experience in one of the three sports? The reason that I ask this, is that if I was coaching or advising someone, and they were looking for solid long term development, I would suggest a 4 - 6 month almost total focus on either running or cycling( which ever is weaker) or swimming if no back ground in swimming. Do that one sport for a minimum 5 - 6 days a week with the one or two work outs a week in the other two sports to maintain a bit of contact. It sounds a bit unorthodox, but I suspect that this will yield big gains down the road. To really see single sport improvement, I think that you have to think in terms of 6 months chunks of time, at a minimum.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished my second season 2 weeks ago and here are some of the things that I did and wished I had done this year:

1. I ran (a lot) I ran a cross country 5K on new years day and ran ~30 miles a week (low was 21 high was 38). Running is the weakest of the 3 events for me.

2. I did 3 time trials. I wish I had done more. I rode faster in my last two races then I had all season and I think it was because of the mental toughness that you get from time trialing.

3. I wish I would have bought paddles sooner, THERRRRE GREAAAT! (say like Tony the Tiger). Unfortunately the muscles I've been swimming with are not the same as the ones I should have been swimming with so I'm sore after ever swim workout were I use the paddles.

4. Got fitted, installed aerobars. Enough said total cost was about $200 but it was well worth it.

5. Did a few workout with a couple of local pro's (their easy day, my hard day) humbling but if you want to see good form up close there is no better place.

6. Bought a set of Bontrager Select A wheels. Not exactly race wheels for most of the people on this forum but a great upgrade for me and a good mental advantage during races.

7. Learned flying mount/dismount. I need every second I can get. I was scary the first few time but now its second nature.

If this helps at all I'll be surprised but what the hell.

Last edited by: Shad: Oct 7, 04 13:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Hire an online coach, be sure to "forget" to sign the waver so you can sue him.

2. Buy a steep angle $5000 tri bike.

3. Get Rotor Cranks as you will save at least 5 minutes at the olympic distance.

4. Buy Power Cranks they will make you faster.

5. Make sure your cell phone is always charged so you can talk to your friends during races.

6. Sign up for an Ironman.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Last edited by: assman: Oct 7, 04 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd Season Training [slowx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have the Joe Friel's book. Good read. What I think I could really use is a sample training calendar that I could edit.

J
Last edited by: jwkidd3: Oct 7, 04 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd Season Training [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck

My strongest of the 3 is Bike. I have invested my time the first season in:

1. Base aerobic fitness

2. Bike

3. Some Swim

Run has gotten the least of my attention.

I put in about 10-12 hours/week currently and will be targeting to keep it that way .

John
Last edited by: jwkidd3: Oct 7, 04 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If no real background in running, then I would suggest that you follow my suggestion of taking 4 - 6 months and focus on running. Work on frequency - days/week of running. Try and keep it at 5 - 6 days/week. Keep the distance of the runs short to moderate with a longer run every two weeks. Slot in a couple of swims and bikes each week to maintain contact with each activity.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent the winter before my second season training for a spring half IM. The type of training required for this really helped my overall fitness and my times at sprints and international distance races later in the season. maybe you want to try a spring 1/2.
Quote Reply