Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [reliantkcar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got bit on the arm by a weimaraner while on a run. Scared the heck out me and I yelled at the owner, who of course denied that his dog bit me. I was extremely upset but then I found this poem: http://martygaal.com/words/damndog.html which made me laugh about my episode.
Quote Reply
Pepperspray work? . . . [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have any of you actually used pepper spray on a dog while riding? Does it work?

Was thinking about putting it on my stem using velcro. I like the idea of a deterrent. In the rural areas of the country, you'd be spending too time on the phone every night if you reported every dog that chased you while on a long ride. For the most part, the dogs are an involuntary incentive to get up and pedal hard. But one day, I may be on a climb going only 8 mph. What then? I'd never be able to out run a dog on a climb. I'd like to know that the pepper spray would work if I had to use it.

I once had a stray dog in the neighborhood that ate my newpaper everyday for about two weeks. One day I got up early, put Tobasco on the paper and went back inside. I came out a couple hours later and the paper was about 10 feet from where it was originally placed. The dog had picked it up, disliked the taste of it and dropped it. The stray dog stuck around the neighborhood for about another week or so, but never messed w/ my newspapers again. So, I'm inclined to think that pepper spray might deter the dog from chasing not only me, but any other cyclist that may wander up behind me on that same route.

Anyone had any experiences?
Quote Reply
Re: Pepperspray work? . . . [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not used it on the bike, but I did once buy 'dog pepper spray' (about 1/10 the usual strength) for my wife several years ago.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Short dash my ass. I've had a dog pace me for about a quarter mile at almost 25 mph. Another last week was on my wife and I until we hit a downhill and we didn't put any distance into him until we were well over 30 mph.

For the most part if you get chased by a dog and don't get caught it is only because the dog didn't really want to catch you.[/reply]

You guys must some pretty wild 'hanky panky.'

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would pursue the matter with the authorities just in case this dog has done this in the past or may do it again in the future. I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner.

Rowdy
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [Rowdy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got bitten back in July in parkland right next to a sign saying dogs must be kept on leash and to be aware of walkers and cyclists. The owners (an older couple ) were very apologetic and gave me their details. I rode on to the park headquarters for 1st.aid and passed on their details. I had 4 wounds and had to take a course of AB's (rabies is unknown in Aus.). I didn't bother pursuing medical expenses from the dog owners but the ranger rang 2 weeks later to tell me she had sent them a warning letter and also the park had instituted a bike patrol for unleashed dogs.

Hopefully some good has come out of the incident as the park is a popular walk/run/bike/horse haven.
Quote Reply
Re: Pepperspray work? . . . [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently started carrying HALT! in my jersey pocket. Next to cars, dogs are my biggest reason for not riding outside more. I feel a LOT better knowing I have this. If I see a big dog in the road I pull it out, but won't use it unless he comes at me in a threatening way. I haven't had to use it yet but won't feel a bit bad if I do. It causes no long-term harm and could likely teach the dog a lesson that will help it later. If the owner comes out and gets pissed I'll be happy to give him a shot too. (just kidding, sort of)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From an earlier thread about guns:

About four years ago, I was cornered, chased and (if not for my superior sprinting speed) nearly ripped to shreads by 3 large dogs. As I dropped the last rabid hound, I thought of how much I enjoyed riding along that particular stretch of road. The orange blossoms, the early spring heat and the serenity of the open road.....anyway, those dogs belonged to a rancher and were always prowling near the property. I had seen them before and had been chased solo, but never as a pack.

The next day, I left a letter in the ranchers roadside mailbox with words to the effect; '

'I rode by your house today and was nearly mauled by your 3 dogs. The road in front of your property is not their playground. I ride a very expensive bicycle, equipped with GPS, an HRM and a cell phone. If your dogs attack me and cause any injury to me (or cosmetic damage to my pimped out bike) your ranch will be my home, your dogs will be in the pound, your children will be my slaves and you will be homeless.'

Even four years later, I have never seen one of those dogs again and I ride down that road quiet often.

Mojozenmaster knows that sometimes (but not very often) the pen is mightier than the pistol

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twice I have been bitten by dogs while running. Both times broke the skin. The first time it was a hunting hound that was normally fenced in with an electric fence. However, unfortunately for me, the fence was not working one day. The dog got me on the forearm and a good one too. Since it broke the skin, I was obligated to report it. Although the dog had its rabies shots, the owner was obligated to keep the dog in quaratine for 10 days to ensure that no rabies was present. The incident is also kept on record to track any repeat offences. In this case, it was just a sad case of wrong place at wrong time. The dog always barked at me as I ran by, but the fence kept him enclosed on his property. Needless to say, I was quite nervous about running that route again and very upset by the whole incident.

The second one was just as scary for me. I was just starting on my run, passing a neighbour's house. She was dogsitting her daughter's dog. She and the dog were on the front lawn. The dog was leashed and the woman was holding the dog. However, the dog was stronger than she was and it came out and attempted to bite me on the forearm. Fortunately, my watch stopped that one. But, the second attack got me on the thigh. That broke the skin and left one nasty bruise. I, of course, immediately ran home. Again, I had to report the incident since it broke the skin. I felt bad since it was my neighbour, but I also had to follow the laws surrounding dog bites. My neighbour also felt horrible about it, especially because she was unable to hold the dog.

In both cases, I do not blame the owners. Each one had taken steps to ensure that their dogs were safe. However, both cases were a simple fact of wrong place at wrong time. Certain circumstances caused these, but the owners were not negligent. I was lucky since both dogs had their shots up to date and each owner was as upset by the incidents as I was. But, it does not take away the continued nervousness I have when running by houses with dogs.

I do have some places I run by with unleashed farm dogs. I either run on the opposite side of the road from these houses (it seems the dogs do not leave their sides of the road), or I take a few dog treats with me to keep them 'happy'. Sometimes, I also just stop prior to the houses and pick up a few things, like snowballs in the winter or a few rocks in the summer. A couple of the dogs will chase these instead of me. Also taking 'nicely' and 'firmly' to the dog helps. I have attempted to find out the names of these dogs and use their names when I run by. This always seem to throw them for a loop.

But, to make a long story short. If the bite has broken the skin, you are obligated to report it. For your safety, the dog's safety and the safety of others who may pass by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a dog owner and triathlete who has been chased by dogs, i say contact the owner first and give them a chance to remedy what they can.

while i was out of town for business, my dog bit a neighbor - didn't break skin, but it bruised her and ripped her sweatpants. when i found out what had happened, i gave her $50 for the pants, offered to cover any medical costs, gave her proof of recent rabies vaccinations, and got my dog into specific obedience classes for aggressive dogs.

some dog owners don't care, but i'd like to think most do. i was really grateful for the opportunity to fix the problem before something more serious happened - what bruised her could have seriously injured/traumatized a child. BUT...if the owner doesn't care, call animal control (or the cops) and report him.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's always those small to medium size dogs that can get up to 25-30mph for a few hundred yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep... I have been chased (playfully) by my own dog and she could hold about 32 mph for a decent stretch. She is about 45 lbs, lab / shepherd mix. It would be quite difficult to get away from a dog like this if you did not have a flat or downhill road.

I think the HALT spray is very effective as well as the most humane way to deal with a dog that is loose.
Quote Reply

Prev Next