Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sidi Winter Freeze shoes
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried these? Can you use look cleats with them as the soles look they are for MTB? My feet get really cold in the winter and I need a better solution than booties/plastic bag. Sidis have always fit my feet well.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Sidi Winter Freeze shoes [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't used the sidis.

But I got something better. Get your regular ATB bike shoes, go to Performance bike shop, and buy their neoprene over booties--with a snug, but not tight, fit. If you find that you are still cold in those (as I am, but only when I ride in temps well below freezing on my ATB), then also buy a 2nd pair of neoprene booties from them. Get the 2nd pair two sizes larger: for example, I use a size 11 bootie as the base layer and use a size 13 bootie as an outer layer. Double layer booties work great for extreme cold.

Several issues: initially, they will rub on your cranks a bit. Also, you want to use 'smaller' SPD pedals, like the shimano 959s or newer XTs or crank brothers (flatter pedals can be blocked by the 2 thick rubber bootie bottoms). Cut out the spd cleat hole as shown on the first pair of booties, but cut out the spd hole on the second, outer pair a bit bigger. Start cutting the hole at about 5 mm beyond the drawn spd hole and then experiment to get your spd pedals to engage and disengage properly. Finally, to get both the booties to fit better (especially the 2nd layer bootie), I found it necessary to VERY carefully remove the strips of reflective tape performance sews on to the outside of the booties--the tape does not stretch at all and stops the neoprene from stretching where it needs to around your ankle to fit right.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the above sounds like way too much work.

we've sold about a dozen pair of sidi's winter boots over the last couple of seasons with no complaints. they use a fabric called OUTLAST which actually stores the initial body heat from your feet when you first put them on, and then releases that heat as your core temp drops. the fabric was initially developed by NASA, and is also used in alot of snowboard and ski boots with great success. one of our clients is an older gentleman with poor circulation who used to do the double booty, extra socks with the plactic bags thing until i got him a pair of sidi's. now he only has to use a single pair of thin booties over these only on the coldest of days,(i'm talking 15belowC).

They are available in a road and mtn version, the road does allow for a three hole look style cleat.

hope this helps.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some wool socks, too.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sidi Winter Freeze shoes [Ian MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your client that is an 'older gentleman'--how old is he? And he really rides outdoors in the the wind at -15 deg. C? That is impressive. But is this a 5 min ride or 3 hr ride? I have ridden for years in snow in temperatures approaching that, but probably more often like minus 10-12 deg. C (but also in good winds which drop the perceived temperature lower). Do you? Have you tried the sidi's yourself? I notice around where I live that very few folks (practically zero) actually go outside on bikes in these kind of temperatures.

Yes, my method with the booties may be a bit of work, but 'outlast' fabric or no 'outlast' fabric, I think that the sidi's will have shortcomings in very cold temperatures. One problem that one quickly discovers in extremely cold temperatures is that even if you have a shoe upper that is very, very warm (perhaps like on the sidi's), the cold can be rapidly conducted by the outsole, the pedal, the spd cleat, and the metal shank that holds the cleat--as metal does this very well. This is even more the case if you have snow clinging to the bottom of your shoe. For this reason, some folks avoid using cleated shoes entirely (they use toeclips) in such conditions.

Another thing, the sidi's are quite expensive as you have to buy another pair of shoes AND you also have to buy regular booties to put over them. My 'difficult' method costs around $35 (US) and you can use your original pair of off-road bike shoes. And you can adjust the layers to suit the conditons of the day.

Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Oct 1, 04 19:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived up there I always put those toe warmers you get from ski shops in my shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I just spent about an hour online looking for winter riding shoes. I read a single bad review on the Sidi's, so that's not saying much. I settled on the Northwave Husky Road Shoe and ordered them about five minutes ago. I think it was from Chicagoland Bicycle shop or something like that. If they're not warm enough I'll go with the covers.
Quote Reply
Re: Sidi Winter Freeze shoes [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he's 55, rode 18,000+km last year, and is on pace for about 15,000 this year(he worked too much this summer) he rides in just about all kinds of weather, finally bought an indoor trainer last year for the first time. he will ride when it is -20C. he has a 2km loop through his subdivision that he will ride around 50-100 times to stay out of the wind on the really bad days just to get his mileage in. so he knows cold, and he knows that that was the best $250 he spent last year.

personally, i'm not that much of a nut, if it's too cold for one pair of booties, then it's trainer and a video for me.

i didn't say they were cheap, but i do believe they are worth every penny.

as for northwave, can't comment, as they see fit to not really care much about canadian distribution.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These shoes are absolutely the best.

For years I tried the bootie/extra socks/larger shoe approach. I never could keep my feet warm. Last year I broke down and bought a pair of Sidi Freeze's, and just love them. The only time my feet got cold was when I first started using them, I would put on a couple pair of warm socks, then my feet would sweat so much they would get cold. When I learned not to overdress my feet, I literally never have cold feet when I ride. I've ridden in 10 degree F weather, and with one pair of wool socks my feet stay toasty for at least 2 hours. (Two hours is about my limit in the cold)

The road shoe is Look compatible.

I had my bike shop I order me 1 size larger than my regular road shoe and it fits fine. It's a little big if I only wear one pair of thin socks, but if I need to pull out my heavy wool socks they are perfect.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Sidi Winter Freeze shoes [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, thanks for the suggestions. When I first got into road biking I bought a pair of those big booties from performance and don't like them - they work but they are just a little too bulky for my taste. Too each his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look similar to the old Sidi Polar winter shoes. They were okay for fall, spring, and cyclocross in Michigan.

** What I've found: no one makes a decent winter cycling shoe.

** I have bike shoes (and gloves) with Outlast -- I don't think it works at all. How much heat can really be stored by a little bit of wax impregnated in cloth?

** Booties wear out and don't prevent heat loss on the underside of the shoe. They do reduce heat loss in the toe box from headwinds. Two metal cleat bolts transfer as much heat as the entire sole of a size 9 shoe.

** And other tidbits: Feet sweat until they reach 70% humidity. Wet insulation works poorly. Goretex doesn't breath in the winter.

So what works? Get an oversized winter cycling shoe, e.g. Lake. I found that going up one size lets me wear a thick sock. Going up 4 sizes lets me wear two socks, a vapor barrier, and up to 2 chemical warmers. Vapor barriers (some use plastic bags, I use Seal Skinz) worn next to your skin (or with a liner) keep your insulation and chemical warmers dry. They're required for long rides, e.g. over an hour. I don't need booties.

A good source for information is http://www.icebike.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sidi Winter Freeze shoes [Todd Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also tried several various winter shoe solutions. For me, one reason the double bootie method works remarkably well is that there are two seperate layers of fairly thick rubber under the sole to provide sole insulation. Some cold still creeps in through the cleat and spd shank, but overall I can ride around 3 hours in windy conditions with temps well below freezing. Also, the performance booties don't wear that fast at all, as neoprene is durable and snow doesn't do much to wear them out.

Quote Reply