Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight and Ironman WI
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I rode the IM-Wisconsin loop for the first time since October. Now I have swam alot this winter...alot...and that is about it. I have a pretty good aerobic engine going because of all that swimming, but that diet of all swim and very little else (except of course way too many winter carbohydrates) has left me too heavy, and boy did it show yesterday. The course rolls and there are three short but very stiff climbs late in the loop and I suffered yesterday. I have to get my weight down at least 10 pounds if I want any kind of performance on this course.

Just some FYI for those of you doing the race...I rode with a HED Jet front yesterday in some pretty windy conditions. The flats and climbs were fine, but there are some awful fast descents and the wind grabbed the wheel abit. I would also recommend at least a 12x25 cog on a 700c wheel. I know we have some hard core strong bikers on this forum, but the second time around and up the loop... with 15 rolling miles left to ride after the loops...it might be nice to spin.

Off to eat grapefruit and brown rice for the next 5 months....:)

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Weight and Ironman WI [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the ride did you some good, Dave. I'm doing IM Moo for the first time this year and I haven't ridden the course yet, although I'm familiar with the area. I'm on a Hed Jet front, as well, and I'm definitely going 12x25 on the back. I'm gonna need all the help I can get over that many hills. I'm gonna ride 1 loop of the course in the next couple weeks and experience some of those fast descents.

My size definitely has me concerned as well. I dropped about 10 lbs. over the winter down to 195, and I'm gonna get smaller if I can. I can't wait to tackle this race. I've never been so eager to suffer.

Big EE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any changes to the course for 2003? I ridden it twice, and it is tough. Is changing to 12x25 an easy procedure? I am at 218 now, hope to be at 200 or lower at race time. At least I'll go fast downhill.

Good Luck!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi mark,

how were the road marking along the course? i felt that last year the bike course was well marked with painted directional arrows along the road, thus making it easy for anyone to train on the course. now, having come off another the winter of road beatings, i'm wondering if you had any problems seeing the markings? please advise. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight and Ironman WI [dave in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

The arrows are not as visible as they were last fall...you can still see them...but only if you kind of know where to look. I have the thing memorized by now, but if I was just coming up to look at it for the first time using the website map, it might be a little tough.

As for an earlier question about changing cogs...if you have a cassette lock ring remover and a wrench you can do it yourself, but it might be worth a trip to the bike shop. Spring for a new cassette for 40 bucks and I bet they'd slap it on for you.

BTW My mythical grapefruit and brown rice diet went out the window tonight...my wife had the angel food cake and strawberries going....dang I have to buckle in...that course is tough...and the run isn't any picnic either up Observatory Drive!

Be well guys...if the weather holds I may do another loop early Saturday or Sunday AM.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode the course yesterday and ditto on the faded arrows.
The hills seem to have gotten larger over the winter. Either that or I have.
After the ride I stopped in at the Verona Chamber of Commerce. It is located across the little street from the park/shelter/parking lot in town where the bike trail crosses Main Street. I chatted with the woman there about IMMoo and she said that everyone there loved it and all the people involved. She said they are trying to keep the feeling going this year with the “closeness” to the riders while keeping safety in mind. If you start/finish your ride in Verona, stop by a say hi to the folks there.
Quote Reply