Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

We're fat and lazy... little kids have it right
Quote | Reply
Alright,

This is borderline "lavender room" material... However I have some valid points here that I think everybody should take a shot at. My girlfriend and I were having lunch today and discussing the inevitable outcome of November's choice between dumb & dumber (that's not the point of this post). We hit on the topic that our population is for the most part... well how do I put this delicately... well, a bunch of fat asses. I mean it's pretty bad when I get strange looks at work for going for a 45 min. run after work? I'm not top tier age grouper.

So our conversation started with the difficulty of remaining active in today's 9-5 (at least) and no-time-to-workout lifestyle and that little kids really do have a healthy lifestyle (go to class for 30 minutes... go run around for 15 minutes... go outside at lunch..etc.). So we came up with a number of "Utopian" viewpoints on how our society could improve:

1. This isn't a far stretch (I know some of you already enjoy this benefit and I envy you!) but shower facilities a work and possibly gyms right in the buildings. This should be more widespread than it already is. It would be smart business on the CEO's part too. Healthy employees are productive employees. If you didn't become obsessed with how long your employees lunch breaks are, I think you'd still find employees only taking 1 hour (maybe a little more) lunch breaks.

2. Not quite sure how to implement this one... But having some sort of nationwide tax break system for joining health clubs... and making healthy choices... I know, I know, easy to cheat this one. But having some dude spin lazily on a spin bike or walk on a tread mill would be better than the current state of at least 75% of the North American population.

3. Some sort of encouraging system for people to make healthier choices in the supermarket. I.e. higher taxes on sodas or processed foods... That would create a bit of an uproar within the processed foods industry. But there's got to be some way to encourage people to make better choices.

I know all these points are a bit out there (but that's part of the point). I think as a society, we're ignoring a problem that contributes to death each year. Think of the benefits society as a whole would garner. Less strain on the medical system, a more productive population. And a whole lot less anxiety... Anyway, just my thoughts for the day.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: We're fat and lazy... little kids have it right [eastcoasttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And no bones in ice cream, either!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: We're fat and lazy... little kids have it right [eastcoasttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current place of employment has an excellent fitness facility right on site. But you'd better not get caught using it, at least if you're a salaried employee. Right now, 9 hour days are "expected" and many are working 10+ hours/day plus Saturdays. We have very good retirement benefits, so I am quite convinced that the company would just as soon literally work us to death. At any rate, it is crunch time right now for many businesses, and it will all come down to dollars, and short term performance; long term health consequenses be damned.

I plan to beat them at their game, but it is getting more and more difficult to carve a workout out of a long list of must-do's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where I work we have over five thousand people working there. We have three different places where you can work out.There small but they have a couple stationary bikes and couple other things. Any time I go to one, I'm the only person there.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. If we have a huge population who live longer than the current life span then our health care issues do not change. Instead we are paying for more medication, housing and health care for people who are living longer.

Even people who take great care of themselves get old and face the natural issues that come with age.

I know a lot of athletes who, as they get older, require knee replacements, hip replacements, shoulder surgery and even bypass.

I do agree that we, as parents, need to teach our kids healthy ways of living. But I believe that is up to the parents. Do we really want our governement to make these choices for us? I don't. I will take that issue on myself.
Quote Reply
Re: We're fat and lazy... little kids have it right [jaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The people who are now very old enjoyed two things:
1. Advances in medication of recent times.
2. Childhood and most adulthood based on fruits, vegetables, fresh meat and other foods all from fresh ingredients.

You only benefit from the first.

Your generation are a bunch of fat lazy bustards (as you rightly say) and I doubt they will live as long as their ancestors. Statistics is deceiving.

50 years ago all food was organic, the word meant nothing. You lot get chemicals injected into anything. People are dying from cancer and heart disease all over the place.

Physical activity only solves the problem of overweight not the residues of the antibiotics and toxins that their foods have. But you want to make money, invent way to abuse. You want to save money. You want everything big easy and ready, well there is a price to pay. Chemotherapy, bypass, liver transplants, and a dialysis machine are waiting around the corner.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I think that insurance companies give a break to companies that have a wellness plan. I know that why the company that I work for has one. If it not going to make/save money there is no incentive.

2.I think that at least half of my gym membership and race entry fees should be deductible (a credit would be better but lets face it not gunna happen)

3. Sin taxes have been used in the past. Why not.

An easier solution would be to hire 16 year old kids to make fun of fat people at large gatherings (NASCAR, Superbowl, Hot dog eating contests).
Quote Reply
A Malthusian perspective [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few random (misanthropic) thoughts:

* Do we really want a healthier/fitter population, and can we afford it? As people become elderly. Their health care requirements increase exponentially. So, do we really want vast swaths of the population reaching their 70s, 80s, and 90s?

* I'm uncomfortable with the government reaching any farther into my private life. And how can we know such a move would improve anything. I consider myself fairly well informed, and most of the time I'm confused about diet and exercise findings.

* If the average American is overweight, bordering on obese, how can "average build" equate to trim and slim? (ie, "officer, the perpetrator had an average build ... 5'10" 160 lbs.")

* Kids are nearly as fat as adults. Check out a public elementary school sometime. It will break your heart.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply