Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner?
Quote | Reply
I am not where I think I should be to properly do an IM race. I am probably trained up for a half (I did a half in June, so I know what it is like--I am better prepared now). I would probably be somewhere, don't laugh, at 6:10-6:20 for the half. I am 54 and only started this s--t this year. I am not overweight. I had twenty weeks to prepare after the half-iron. I have done all the training, but have to face the fact that I don't have a deep base, and lack muscular endurance.

I am not concerned about the "cut-off" but I feel as though doing the race would be a "stunt"--that I would be entering T2 at 7:15 to 7:30 and that the ME issue would catch up with me on the run. I see myself fighting to lift my legs, but refusing to walk. This is not my picture for myself. I would be satisfied with MOP or MOP+ on such a serious undertaking.

What would you do, and/or what would you advise me to do (if different):

1. Can it for this year, and wait until you can do it right.

2. Can it for this year, acknowledge you are not an IM MOP, and do shorter races.

3. Do it anyway, partly for ego, since people know I am doing this, and partly because I would be disappointing my training partner, who has basically swum every stroke, run every step and cycled every mile with me since we began to train together for the Half, always with our eye on the IM? (Training partner also is my Significant Other)

4. Fake injury and withdraw. I think my knee is hurting, even as we speak!

5. Something else.

In any event, I will, of course, be there for my training partner with a big smile on my face like its all OK.

Monk
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6. come down to El Paso, train like a madman for 4 weeks then get there and do it :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk Buddy.......

You're 5 and 1/2 weeks out my friend, the most important training is in the next 2.5 weeks! Pick up Huddle/Frey's Final 6 week plan and get cracking!!!! If you need it, send me a message and I'll send you the Excel file.

As for your options, definately not #4. That's lame, actually all of your reasons are. You're a Ironman. Ironman is about committment and dedication. Do it FOR YOU and ONLY YOU. This is a character building activity, not an egofest (which many make it out to be)

This is YOUR race. Do not compare it to other's performance. Therefore, you do your best and start with your OWN set of baggage. If this yields 17 hours of fun, so be it. You used the term "do it right". When is anything ever right? This is a perception.

Ironman is 33% physical...you have the time.

Ironman is 33% nutrition...you have time to create a plan and test it.

Ironman is 33% mental...you have the courage.

Don't pass up on this opportunity. Life is precious and you should take full advantage of NOW..... Live in the moment, enjoy the process. Next year might not come.....

K
Last edited by: Smitty8: Sep 29, 04 21:59
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankie--How nice and supportive that is! I am at 15 to 18 hours a week now. Do you think I can absorb more? I am at the madman level. I don't mind busting my ass. I have learned to embrace the pain. I have learned to abandon friends and family. I have given up sex. What's worse, I dont even care that I have given up sex.

It wouldn't take much to talk me into this.
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach Smitty8: You could probably talk me into being pulled on a skateboard behind a pick-up truck down Interstate 95 at midnight after 12 beers.
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and yes, I would like to see the final 6 weeks. I have no pride and will steal anything not tied down. My email is gcpicken@adelphia.net

This knee pain is getting unbearable.

Maybe I am getting worn out and need pumping up.
Last edited by: Monk: Sep 29, 04 22:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3. Do it anyway and use my experience to come back better prepared for the next one.
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
3. Do it anyway and use my experience to come back better prepared for the next one.
What next one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't you see the disclaimer about addiction when you signed up?

Also, shouldn't you be sleeping at this early time of the day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you are overtraining right now. 15 to 18 hrs a week in your first year is a lot. When you go through your taper you will feel so much stronger. My biggest week throughout the summer has been 16 hrs with most of the weeks at 12 to 14 hrs. Those weeks at 16 really ran me down and I was considering dropping out of IMFL too. After a few easy weeks, mentally I felt so much better.

I just finished my scheduling for the last 5 weeks of training and my biggest week is 15 hrs. If you want a look at my schedule, shoot me a message and let me know.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you had better go and at least try, or you'll never be able to live with yourself. focus on having fun, not on how crappy you think you're doing. good luck!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I should be sleeping, but I am still keyed up from a 10 mile run. Ten miles Monday, 4.5hours on the bike yesterday, 10 run today. 100 mile bike "race" on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How can you not put in that time? Once each week I need to do a 6hr bike, right? I do two other 3 hr efforts (unless I have a little more time, as yesterday)

You need to have a long run at least every other week, right? That's 2.5 to 3 hours. And you need two other runs each week--three on the non-long run week--I make the shorter runs 10 milers.

And you need to have about4.5 hours.

I have been in an overtrained state, but I learned to recognize it and back off--to let the recovery happen.

So there it is, and it seems minimal.
Last edited by: Monk: Sep 30, 04 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: SMITTY8, Pick up Huddle/Frey's Final 6 week plan and get cracking!!!! If you need it, send me a message and I'll send you the Excel file.

I would like to see this if you wouldn't mind helping a gal out?? Please and thank you. My e-mail is : smckee@toughgun.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I set up my 3 quality workouts for every week, those are done reguardless of the time it takes. My long runs are in the 15 to 18 mile range (2.5 to 3 hrs), long swims are 3000 to 4000 yds (:55 to 1:20), and bike rides are about 100 miles (6 hrs). That is about 10 hrs, I fill in the rest of the time with speedwork, Muscular endurance workouts and skill work. All of the time spent training is quality work, no BS time. If I go too many hours I get too worn out to train and takes the fun out of it for me. In addition to that I am a single dad and there is a certain amount of responsibility at home for me.

Also, I am not planning to win races, just to do them in a time that is respectable to me. My goal for IMFL is swim 1:15, bike 6:00, run 4:30, overall under 13 hrs is my goal so if I slip on one of the disciplines, that's OK.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have given up sex. What's worse, I dont even care that I have given up sex.

I think I've found your problem! Take 2 days off from training and spend some "quality time" with your training partner. All work and no play makes Monk a grumpy guy!! :)

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Monk and Tri_gear should have the email....

It was in Triathlete's Kona qualifter edition. I talked to Huddle about it at LP. He basically said that everyone shares the "mileage" plan, so they figure they would publish it and get some credit rather than have bandits emailing the Multisport programs. If you like it...send Paul and Roch a note, I'm sure they would enjoy that....

Good luck.

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it! You sound more than ready. I am basically doing the same plan as I did last year (finished slightly over 11hrs) and only go 10-13hrs a week. 3 swims (1 long for an hour), 2 bikes (one is 2 hr, one is 4-5 hr) and 2 runs (track and 2 hr long run) I add in a few short transisiton runs after bike. You sound way more prepared than me (and no doubt many others) so stop worrying, relax, and go and have a great time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quit now, and save yourself some suffering, loser.

I'm kidding of course. Let the suffering begin. And how fast do you have to be to be MOP? Sounds to me like you're there. Get to it.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
In Reply To:
I have given up sex. What's worse, I dont even care that I have given up sex.

I think I've found your problem! Take 2 days off from training and spend some "quality time" with your training partner. All work and no play makes Monk a grumpy guy!! :)

D.
My training partner loved the idea. When can you get over here?
Last edited by: Monk: Sep 30, 04 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: 15 second poll: IMFL--Monk "races" or supports training partner? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quit now, and save yourself some suffering, loser.
I think you are on to something, here.
Quote Reply