Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Re-think how we swim!
Quote | Reply
This article blew me away...swimmers & coaches are gonna have to take a serious look at what we thought was gospel.

Link:
http://www.itdean.umn.edu/news/inventing/2004_Winter/goingforthegoo.html
Quote Reply
Re: Re-think how we swim! [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have seen the pictures that were in the regular magazine version of that article. Pretty gross looking stuff! Too bad there were no triathletes amongst that group, otherwise they could have added wetsuits into the mix too!
Quote Reply
Re: Re-think how we swim! [Terry in MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance you can get some of those pics posted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, don't have that issue around anymore. It was from quite awhile ago...
Quote Reply
Re: Re-think how we swim! [Terry in MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what blew you away? I did not see a thing that dismantled existing swimming theory.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The best swimmers should have the body of a snake and the arms of a gorilla," he concludes. "The fact that elite swimmers are not all shaped like this is a wonderful reminder that fluid mechanics is not the only factor in swimming fast." -Professor Cussler.

The take away lesson in my view, unless you plan on swimming in guar. :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Re-think how we swim! [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>>"In The New Science of Swimming Counsilman [talks about] the 'theoretical square law,' which states that 'resistance [to a swimmer's motion] varies with the square of his velocity,'" explains Cussler. "In other words, to go twice as fast [a swimmer] has to pull four times as hard. That just jumped out at me when I read his book." <<<<

I think this has huge implications on the way we teach/coach swimming. I don't know that it will change what a WR holder does. But, I'm not sure anybody knows why two swimmers with similar physilogy can differ so much in speed. In other words, why does someone like Michael Phelps go as fast as he does? And somone built similar, training similar, and has similar Max VO2, etc. - why can't this dude go as fast?

I just think it shows us that we know a lot less about this stuff than we think we do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to get into that too much, but that's the whole concept behind Total Immersion.