Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri
Quote | Reply
first off, let me say i totally respect the charity dimension of the Nautica Malibu Tri (raises money for pediatric AIDS research) and realize that everyone there was doing his or her best, especially the volunteers...personally I had a fun race with no real problems, but the overall shoddiness of the experience has made me put fingers to keys

here are my beefs:

1) They (badly) mis-measured the swim course, turning what should have been an 800m course into apparently about 1150, 1200m...great for swimmers like me, but not careful race management by any stretch of the imagination

2) They didn't have nearly enough volunteers mid-pm on Saturday, and the ones that I was exposed to weren't exactly clued in, one wanted to keep my USAT card because she thought it was some sort of coupon...and Lord help the relay folks, some of whom waited more than 45 minutes in the sun to sign their waivers.

3) Positioning bodymarkers people on the 3 foot sidewalk which is the only way into T1 can lead to a big backup of annoyed racers wanting to set up their bikes. Why not do it the easy way, with body markers inside T1 or at the T1 egress?

4) Having a seperate "Celebrity" wave and a seperate "Celebrity/VIP" tent post race strikes me as wrong in a way that's hard to articulate. Yes, Duchovny was there. So was Tate Donovan. Yet I suspect they'd be there even without a velvet rope, and I doubt too many stars stuck around for the post-race "Celebrity Brunch"...but I also realize the folks who bought $200 dollar tix to eat a omelette within sight of Mark-Paul Gosselaar might not have otherwise donated to such a worthy cause, so maybe this isn't really a valid complaint, just sort of a bemused shaking of the head.

Now, part of the reason I write this is because I also did the City of Los Angeles (Oly) Tri the week before and the experiences couldn't have been more different.

Everything about (my experience at) the City of LA Tri was efficient, organized and mellow, though I realize that was just my personal experience and others may feel differently.

Anyway, next year I'm voting with my feet and wallet and will skip Malibu...sorry for the rant.

i wish everyone safe training and fast racing
Quote Reply
Re: Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri [wintermute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Having a seperate "Celebrity" wave and a seperate "Celebrity/VIP" tent post race strikes me as wrong in a way that's hard to articulate. Yes, Duchovny was there. So was Tate Donovan. Yet I suspect they'd be there even without a velvet rope, and I doubt too many stars stuck around for the post-race "Celebrity Brunch"..."

Ugghh. That "celebrity" crap makes my skin crawl. I guess I'll have to keep racing with the ugly grey people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In regards to the mis-marked swim course, what makes this so much worse is that it was mis-marked (long)last year, as well. One time, I understand, but correct it so it doesn't happen again.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri [Wednesday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to my swim time that sucker was more like 1500m.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about writing to the race director a similar list. If I was going to the store to buy a product and was given something on par to what they gave us on Sunday, I'd be back in the store complaining.

This is about the 18th year of this race, have they never had big surf before? Could they not prepare better for that? I don't care so much about the big surf, that was fun and a challenge, but buoys floating all over the place and each wave basically swimming a different course is wrong.

Having a fat tire relay division is great, gets more people involved, but putting them in an early wave is just plain dangerous.

Having celebrities there ? Who cares, there were still a lot of people out racing when they did the special celebrity awards and then they were gone.

For $90, I'd say it was a complete rip off. After two years in a row, I learned my lesson with this race.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I must be out of touch because I've never heard of the celebs you mentioned. Guess I need to watch more TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having problems with this statement...

"Having a fat tire relay division is great, gets more people involved, but putting them in an early wave is just plain dangerous."

I'm assuming because they are slower and thus in the way... causing more passing than would normally be expected?

This may or not be the case... first of all, a lot of times theoritically "slower" triathletes are put in an earlier way because of safety concerns. Those concerns have to do with the basic idea that having more bikers on the road for longer period of time makes for a higher probability of accidents involving vehicles. More importantly, many times it's also a event time issue. Permits may only allow for a certain time period for either road closures or police assistance.

So, ... in that respect having a slower athlete (i.e., fat tire relay) is one done by necessity because of traffic control issues or it reduces bike congestion and potential auto and bike conflicts. It is not just plain dangerous... RD's don't intentially make dangerous decisions. However, they are typically more experienced at doing and putting on triathlons than most triathletes.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... if that were true, then why do the older AG's typically start in the later waves?

Even though we'll never see it again, I liked the idea of the top 150 in last year's event, regardless of age, get to start in the first wave. That's a huge safety advantage, but I understand why USAT disallows it.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]Man, I must be out of touch because I've never heard of the celebs you mentioned. [/quote]

Ha ha...and this brings up another more comic point about the specific lameness of Nautica/Malibu which i forgot in my first post, one which Boz and others may find amusing.

5) The considerable effort to advertise "celebrity participation" (all printed material/specially labled tents, etc) becomes funny in a bad way when your lame-ass announcer takes great care to hype the special celebrity value of "Debbie (sorry, "Deborah") Gibson's awful national anthem, can't stop talking about the breakfast buffet at Moonshadows and announces celebrity arrivals in T1, but come finish time just yells out regular people's race numbers ("here comes 259! and 1523! 80! And 567!) as if in some hellish (and decidedly non-celebrity) bingo game.

By comparison, at LA Tri where at least 1/2 of us SoCal folks raced the week before they call out everybody's name, pronouncing mine correctly (something that rarely happens). And speaking of the finish...

6) A 90 degree turn from the sidewalk to the sand in for the last 20 yards of the run probably seemed great on paper, but when the plywood insert bridging the gap between the cement and astroturf gets covered in hot Zuma sand, racers (predictably) can lose their footing making the turn. Which a few did, in front of cheering family and friends.

But to be fair, the hat from the goodie bag is quite stylish.

i wish everyone safe training and fast racing
Quote Reply
Re: Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hmmm... if that were true, then why do the older AG's typically start in the later waves? "

That assumption is incorrect... I'm not sure how many triathlons you've done in various parts of N. America but there are many triathlons that start older age group first.

Again, this depends upon the restrictions imposed by the city/township/village/community/suburb/county/parish where the triathlon is being held.

Older AG's don't typically start in later waves (in fact, I'm not sure which is more typical - but, I've done about 200+ - I think - over about 20 yrs. from Nova Scotia to San Diego and have done about the same amount either way). And, I'm not going to say which is the safest... They both have advantages and disadvantages. Neither methods can claim to be Safer. Accidents occur in two basic formats - bike to bike or vehicle to bike (intentionally omitting single bike accidents)... Starting faster bikers first does have advantages from a bike-to-bike accident standpoint. However, it may actually be a disadvantage from a vehicle-to-bike accident standpoint. IMHO, bike-to-bike accidents have bad consequences (with a higher probability/frequency)... but, vehicle- to-bike accidents have the potential for much worse consequences (but with lower probability/frequency).

There is an arguement for either situation (slower athletes first or last)... but, in the end... the permits typically define the choice.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But to be fair, the hat from the goodie bag is quite stylish.
Well now we are on to something important. Can you post a pic of that hat?
Quote Reply
Re: Thumbs Down: Nautica Malibu Tri [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're correct. I'm very limited to So. Cal. racing. In every race I've done, my AG (45-49) has been one of the last waves to start. Sometimes 50 & up starts before , but more often afterwards. This includes races produced by Pacific Sports LLC, Koz Enterprises, even Pacific Coast Regional Championship, the L.A. Tri series at Bonelli Park (TriEvents), Ralph's California Half, Desert Tri (TriExpress).

As an example, L.A. Triathlon wave starts:

WAVE # START TIME TIME FROM WAVE #1 DISTANCE DIVISION CAP COLOR 1 7:00 0:00:00 OLYMPIC MEN 30-34 & ALL-STAR RELAY PURPLE 2 7:07 0:07:00 OLYMPIC WOMEN 30-34 RED 3 7:14 0:14:00 OLYMPIC MEN 25-29 YELLOW 4 7:21 0:21:00 OLYMPIC WOMEN 25-29 PINK 5 7:28 0:28:00 OLYMPIC MEN 35-37 WHITE 6 7:35 0:35:00 OLYMPIC MEN 38-39 SILVER 7 7:42 0:42:00 OLYMPIC WOMEN 24 & UNDER, HIGH SCHOOL AND WOMEN 35-39 KELLY GREEN 8 7:49 0:49:00 OLYMPIC MEN 24 & UNDER, HIGH SCHOOL, PUBLIC SERVICE INDIV, MEN 50 & OVER NEON ORANGE 9 7:56 0:56:00 OLYMPIC CLYDESDALES, COLLEGIATE MEN & WOMEN, OLYMPIC RELAYS SILVER 10 8:03 1:03:00 OLYMPIC MEN 40-44 ROYAL 11 8:10 1:10:00 OLYMPIC MEN 45-49 YELLOW 12 8:17 1:17:00 OLYMPIC FEMALES 40 & OVER, PUBLIC SERVICE INDIV AND ATHENAS NEON GREEN 13 8:24 1:24:00 SPRINT ALL SPRINT MEN BLACK 14 8:31 1:31:00 SPRINT ALL SPRINT WOMEN & SPRINT RELAYS NEON ORANGE 15 9:00 2:00:00 OLYMPIC PRO MEN NEON GREEN 16 9:05 2:05:00 OLYMPIC PRO WOMEN REDA very typical schedule in my experience.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with you - I am disappointed in the race overall. I came in from MN to visit a friend and I figured Malibu tri would be a great "event" to do. I was especially pumped up when I found out Ryan Sutter was supposed to be racing! My goal was to beat him. :) Not only did I not see him (I think he was a no-show), I didn't really see any celebrities... My wave was the second to last to go, and my friend's was the last. By the time she and I finished (our waves started about 20-25 minutes late), they had already done the celebrity awards. We missed the entire thing. I was hoping to leave with at least one photo or something! :) We don't get celebrities up in MN much... and Prince doesn't count.

But $90 for the race seemed steep. The swim was horrendously long and I thought they did a particularly poor job of clearing out the transition area. I had a hard time getting past people to get my bike out of T2. A woman with her camera was jogging next to her husband in transition to get pictures. A lot of people were in there that shouldn't have been.

Oh, well... I'm just happy to be alive after experiencing the big surf. Now that something else we don't get up in mn! Wow!
Quote Reply