Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular)
Quote | Reply
Aside from the higher cost of the Zipp 404, can you aero Gurus let me know the main differences between the 404, HED Alpes and HED Jet 60. I need to get a new front wheel and it seems that dollar for dollar, the HED Alpes is the best aero for least dollar. You can also throw in your two cents worth on the HED stinger which seems to be a nice option too.

Please post your experiences...and if anyone wants to sell one, let me know.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed actually publishes their aero data on their site. AFAIK, they are they only wheel manufacturer with the guts to do so.

http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/alps.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kraig Willet also has aero data comparisons on a large number of wheels based upon a mathematical formula on his pay site. The Hed Alpes, trispoke and Zipp 404 are included. Highly recommended reading. Here's the url:

http://www.biketechreview.com/

IMO, the best front wheel on a dollar/performance ratio - get a used Specialized trispoke and Campagnolo Shamal from ebay. Use the Shamal on those windy days when it's too much for a trispoke since the Shamal was aero tested and found to be relatively uneffected by cross winds in comparison. Use the tri spoke on the calmer days. I'll vouch for the Shamal in the wind as it is definately less affected by the big winds than was my Hed Jet 60 or Hed Cx.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Not so interested in which is the most aero, from the numbers, they all seem to be, just wondering which fared the best for all purpose real world triathlon riding ranging from Olympic tri to Ironman !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Hed Stingers on my bike. Nice wheels and I haven't had any problems with them. Super light.

Although i do wish I would have bought a disk for the rear...I'm doing SOMA on Oct. 31 and hope to borrow a disk and see if it really makes that much of a difference.

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't argue with the wind tunnel aero data as it is relevent to "real world" performance. What you also need to look at is durability. I run a Hed Jet 60 rear and a Campy Shamal front, both tubulars as my everyday wheels on my road bike and never had a single problem even with group riding, centuries, etc. Other wheels I own(all tubulars) for the tri bike are another Shamal, Hed Deep 90 rear and of course my beloved CH Aero disc cover over a 32 sp Mavic GL330 tubular rim with Dura-Ace hubs. Recently sold off my Hed Jet 60 and Hed Cx fronts. Never had a problem with any of these wheels and will also add that I bought every one of them second hand on ebay. So I know Campagnolo and Hed makes sturdy aero wheels.

Can't comment on Zipp's as I've never owned one.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durability (as in breaking spokes) is an issue. I think the Jet/Alpes are pretty robust. What about the Stinger ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth Dev, my personal experience is that Hed wheels are near bomb proof. Don't know what some of the big guys have found, but I'm about your size (147 lbs) and never had a single problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy, thanks, I have had a rear HED CX since 1992. The original delaminated in 1997 when I left it in my car in 90 degree heat under direct sun (it was likely well over 110 in the car) and I suspect the rim heated up to the mid 150's. Due to the difference in the expansion rate between the Al and Carbon at the rim the delaminiation occurred. HED promptly replaced and I now have a 7 year old rear CX that is still fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

I'm a big fan of the HED Jet 60 for the front. I've used it, and HED-3s, for long course tris. I will only use the HED-3 front if I know the weather will not be too gusty. The wind is not that relevant to me with the Jet. I'm using it over the HED-3 front for a late season IM (Jet front, HED-3 rear). As far as durability, I actually train on the Jet as well. I am a bigger guy, ranging 185-195, depending on the time of year, and have never had a problem with this wheel. I had a spoke pop on a rear Jet 90, but never on the front. The spokes are bladed, and in my opinion, far more durable than standard spokes.

I think the Jet is the best value (or at least the cheapest) of the wheels you've mentioned. Also, HED usually has some on close-out - wheels used by sponsored athletes at Kona. I think around $300.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, If you wanna borrow my Renn, it's yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is simply "aero" your looking for, the HED 60 will be the most aero of the 3 you mentioned. If you are buying a wheelset, the Alps are tough to beat for the price. The ZIPPs have a serious track record and are by far the lightest (if that matters to you) and can often be found discounted (new on e-bay) for about the cost of the Alps.

I currently use 404 tubulars and absolutely love them (almost got the Reynolds Stratus, but too difficult to true as you have to take the tire off since they "bury" the nipples). Previous race wheels were HED3s. IF money were absolutely no object, I'd have some Z4s with the finest hubs ever built by man, but at 3K per set, they must be smoking something in Indianapolis when they released that price. I'm sure Peter Reid was happy for the sponsor when riding these...

There is just so much more to a wheelset than aero properties (hubs, durability, braking, comfort, even looks) alone, although for a TT or triathlon that is paramount.

Quote | Reply
There are currently a number of Zipp wheelsets on eBay for a range of prices. Including this front wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=7102218685&rd=1

You didn't say 650 or 700 but there are some of each. I used a Zipp 400 for a couple of years and went over some pretty rough courses with no problems, so it holds up under racing conditions. I now have a 404 (changed from 650 and sold the older wheel) and frankly can't say that the new wheel is any better than the old. I think any of the ones you mentioned is going to be very serviceable.

By the way, nice race at Duke. I raced that course a couple of years ago and it is tough.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> You didn't say 650 or 700 but there are some of each.

You might want to read the subject line of the threads you're replying to. ;)

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True enough,

People always appreciate others pointing out their mistakes in a public forum. :) There were too many numbers in the subject line for my tired brain to pick out any particular one.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave,

I'm going to do the SOMA half in AZ on October 31st and I'll gladly take you up on your offer.

Swami's ride on Sat. kicked my butt. Those boys don't understand that you are supposed to slow down going uphill!!

MIke

TheBikeRacer.com
Last edited by: mwbyrd: Sep 21, 04 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I saw the first post of the thread, my very first thought was: "what a retard, he doesn't even mention wheel size". So I had to single you out.

And to answer the initial question, I own both a 650c Jet60 and a 700c Alps, both tubie. The Alps is pretty tame in a cross wind, whereas I sometimes have a hard time with the Jet (strange: only 10 mm difference in depth). The Alps "feels" like a sturdier wheel because of the foam injected fairing (the Jet has the soft fairing). Both share the same spokes/nipples, hub, and "outer" rim (as far as I know). I think the Jet is the only wheel in the Hed line that features the "patended shape" (the Alps is shaped like a Spinergy/Cosmic ... some "v" shape). The Jet is a lot of bang for the dollar, but the Alps looks way better.

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Re: Front Wheel Comparison: Zipp 404, HED Alpes or HED Jet60 (all 700 tubular) [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Swami's ride on Sat. kicked my butt. "

You poor bastard. Those guys hammer. I'm slowly getting some form back. The bitch is my recovery time after a hard effort is still pretty piss poor. I can't wait to get to that ride again. If I went now I'd get shot out the back as they hit that first gentle climb. My first group ride ever was Swamis. Funny as hell. On the first climb I looked down for a second, when I looked back up, they were just gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys, I have an old rear HED CX and I can true the wheel as the spoke nipple is at the end of the rim. For the Alpes, the spoke nipple is buried, as is the case for the JET, so how so I true. Can you turn the other end of the nipple from the inside with a screw driver or something when you remove the tire from the rim ? Guys, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep ...
The nipples are DT brand with the hex head. You need a 5.5 mm spoke nipple driver. Wiha makes a pretty swank one, $13. To true the wheel, you remove the tire and proceed from "the inside".

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply