Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions regarding sponsorship
Quote | Reply
I am new to triathlon and have a few questions I am hoping someone on here may be able to answer. I have completed only a couple of sprint distance triathlons at this point, but I have done well and seem to be improving rapidly as I have been training as a triathelete for a few months now. I come from a running background where I was a regionally competative runner (31high 10K's, 14high 5k's). As a runner I occasionally recieved entry fee and travel compensation to some midsize road races in the area, as well as free shoes/shorts/singlets from my running club. I was wondering how I might go about trying to obtain such things as a triathlete (entry fees, maybe some free equipment)? What kind of times for Olympic and Sprint distance triathlons would put someone at this level? Would I be out of line looking for these things with times of approx 1:03 & 2:05 for the sprint and olympic distances respectively? I've heard that it is possible to obtain some kind of professional triathelete liscense. What would the benifit of this be? Also where might I find a listing of prize money races? I'm sorry if I totally don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just assuming its similar to running, but I may be way off.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Questions regarding sponsorship [cagaites] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of times for Olympic and Sprint distance triathlons would put someone at this level?

Win.. sponsors want wins, doesn't really matter the time

I've heard that it is possible to obtain some kind of professional triathelete liscense. What would the benifit of this be?

In some races only Pro triathletes receive prize money. You can get in a event even after they are sold out to general public, free entry fees, etc

Also where might I find a listing of prize money races?

www.duathlon.com

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Questions regarding sponsorship [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the information. I initially asked about times because in running that pretty much all that matters. If I were to call a race director and tell him that I had won the Podunk 5K and Firecracker 10K the first thing he would ask was what my times were. I've won plenty of 5k's in 16:30 which doesn't mean anything to anyone, but my 5K pr has gotten me gas money, shoes and free entry fees even though I was 14th out of 16 in the race I ran it in.

As a follow up question, what size races should I be looking for to get someone to take notice? Bear in mind I'm not looking to make any money just defray the cost of competion somewhat - I just dropped $1200 bucks on a road bike and the entry fees for triathlons still shock me. Free entry fees would be huge. My training partner finished 9th in a olympic distance race with 1200+ finishers in about 2:10 (25mph winds on the bike course didn't help that time) and didn't win anything or get noticed by anyone.

Basically, what kind of performances make someone the equivilant of a 14:30 5k guy in triathlon, and is this even good for anything, or am I just dreaming.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions regarding sponsorship [cagaites] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
again, win, win any size race.

If you enter big races with lots of pros and win this is obviously the best, but chances are that if you end up anywhere past the top 5 you don't get much attention. Often the sponsors are trying to reach recreational triathletes (they are the ones who spend all the money not the fast guys who try to get everything free:). For this reason do local triathlons, don't cherry pick races and do them just because you can do well but get out in the community and get known as a nice, knowledgeable fast guy. If people know you AND you're fast then start looking for sponsorships.

Race comps, definetely depends on the race director. It happens but you sometimes get lucky sometimes don't. Equipment sponsors are far easier but you rarely get paid unless you are scary fast. You usually end up with a "pro deal" type pricing, maybe some free product especially in the sports nutrition realm.

remember sponsors want someone who other people, potential customers, will look up too for ideas how they can get faster. I know fast guys who are brash and not that friendly, you'd be surprised how few sponsors they get even if they win a race...
Quote Reply