Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall watching "Soloman" the day before Ironman. Now that guy was da bomb.
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You also did your part to keep the American, Canadian, French, Italian and Taiwanese economies chugging along. :)

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who finished.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a couple of "Solomans" since '99. '99, '02 and now this year. Very low key and not at anything other than aerobic paces. I get out of the pool, get my bike out the back seat of my car and put my fluids and other stuff on it and start riding. When I hit 112 miles, I get off the bike, change into running clothes and start running, with a small fanny pack with gels and whatnot. The two bases have a number of those Gatorade dispensing machines around, and I carry a 20 oz. bottle with me while I'm running, also.

It's about as flat as IM FLA's course, but not as interesting. Just a long, hot Hawaiian day in very early November, but I looooooove doing it. :-)

K.
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I didn't say, however, that completing an IM automatically gets you long, hot showers with all of the Navy frogmen girlfriends[/reply]

What does? I'm in.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That must be one boring course, because the IM FL course is so boring 98% of the finishers fell asleep for the first 4 hours of the bike leg. :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it goes through the whole two bases (Pearl Harbor and Hickham). Some military housing areas, a few ship piers, the back side by the supply center, the Hickham areas over by the water, the airport and the golf course and then back around. After the third loop, you start talking to yourself. After the fourth loop, the little voices in your head start answering back :-)

The wind is hard in your face on the front side of the loop over in Hickham, then when you turn around you can fly through the base, but when you get back onto Pearl, the wind then hits you twice as hard right back in the kisser. It becomes a death slog on the bike by the middle of the third loop. That's why I love it :-)

The run is nothing but the same loop, with another off-base out and back (just to get in a hill or two) that comes out to 26.2

That pool opens at 5:30AM, so I try to be in the water and swimming by 6 or 6:15, because it closes back down at 7:30. So far, I've been successful at finishing before the sun starts setting. I just take pleasure in the day and the journey, and I don't really get any big yah-yahs out of doing it. Just the satisfaction that I could, I guess.

K.
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A big, shiny gold SEAL Trident badge over your left breast pocket. That and a huge 4x4 lift-kitted Jeep, and some money and free beer. Or at least the money and the free beer :-) Or just the beer on non-military paydays ;-))

K.
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice wife, you are one very lucky dude? Wanna trade?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That gold Trident is the baddest, toughest thing to earn in the military or even the real world.

For the few men who actually earned one of those, I have enormous respect, admiration and no small amount of envy. I've worked with them (very infrequently a long time ago), and I always admire and respect them.

That is something I look at and say, "I doubt I could have ever done that."

At 42 years old it is also something I will never find out in this lifetime. :(

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kahuna,

what BUD/S class did you graduate with?

Did you retire from SDV1? Justin still there? He's fast.

Hoo Yah Hey, Just another EASY DAY!

No Ka Oi,

ISSAQUAH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The badge is easy. $10.95 + shipping ;) http://shop.navyseals.com/product/PNAI142266

Canadian beer is gold.

The hard part, is when the SEAL boyfriends come looking for me afterwards!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post Tom!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh...impersonating SEALs is usually not a joking matter. They take it seriously and usually impersonators find that out the hard way. Seriously. No, seriously.

OK, back to the thread! Your Ironman finisher's medal is your own medalion you'll always keep and value.

issaquah
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [ISSAQUAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [ISSAQUAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What'd Ed say? I don't think he was claiming to be a frogman, btw. I went through in '83 but never got a Trident. I was a corpsman at the time and the Marines were looking for "SOT techs" to stay on the green side, so I went over and ended up in division, in a reconnaissance platoon (after SCUBA, PJ and other schools). It's okay, though, because I got to reenlist a year later for a big, fat bonus and a chance at a commissioning program which I got a couple of years after that.

I knew guys from SDV1 last time I was out here, when I retired in '99. Justin's name sounds familiar.

K.
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian beer is the best. Really, when I used to drink I had two favorite beers: #1. FREE #2. COLD

Watch the Trident thing, though. Guys get in trouble all the time for sporting that badge. Look at all the heartache Kerry's catching over his rightfully-awarded medals, btw.

K.
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Until at least the end of the week I'm the best coach in the world :-)<<

Ah, I'll give you until the 25th. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up guys, I do appreciate the warning - but I'd NEVER try to impersonate a SEAL, Marine, regular army dude, air force dude, or whatever. They'd see right through my fat Canadian ass. ;)

I just thought it was funny that you can actually buy those badges, and for almost nothing! I guess it's kind of similar as to how surprised I was that anyone could buy Marine cycling/tri kit.

Khai, who *thinks he knows which way a gun points, but wouldn't bet on it.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That is something I look at and say, "I doubt I could have ever done that."
Not to blow smoke, but I have a feeling you could have, had you head been in the right place at the appropriate age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For the few men who actually earned one of those, I have enormous respect, admiration and no small amount of envy.

Ditto. But it would never have happened anyway - I'm a mole (ie. blind as a bat) and Lasik came along after I was >28yrs (the age limit for acceptance, I believe). I actually had an appt to the AF Academy in my senior year of HS but got rejected due to my eyesight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"All right already I will get out of my comfy chair and go to the pool", Me at 4:30 this morning.

After reading Demerly's ODE TO IRONMAN. I wanna be in the club so I went and am a better triathlete because of it. Thanks for the unintentional kick in the pants.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: If you just finished Ironman then you better think about this: [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pluto, devashish paul, & big kahuna (miss anyone?) ...

I did some Solo-tri's this summer ... Oly distance. Pretty easy, Swim at the Y, a bike loop that begins/ends at the Y, and a run the begins/ebds at the Y.

I think I'll plan to do a 1/2 Solo-IM in 2 months, and then another come late Jan-Feb, and then possibly a full Solo-IM in June or so. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do multiple loops of the same course (or the longer ~60-mile course I normally ride). I run through town so there's always gas stations, etc that could have liquids/snacks if I ran into a situation where I had to have something right there and now.

Thanks for the ideas.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply

Prev Next