Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Back spasms - advice please.
Quote | Reply
On Tuesday last week I was slouching in my office chair and thought I'd make a conscious effort to sit very upright and stretch out my back. I actually had one ankle crossed over the opposite knee to double as a hip/butt stretch. Anyway when I stood up about 15 mins later just before leaving I had those back spasms where one minute you're fine and the next you move into the wrong posture and it feels like a bolt of lightning shot up your spine. Your legs feel like they are about to buckle.

Anyway I ended up taking the next day off so that I didn't aggravate it in the chair. It was fine Wed night and pretty much the remainder of the week it was ok. Today (Sun) though it feels like it is stiffening up again and those jolts are just around the corner should I do something wrong. I didn't train that Wed. Thurs and Fri were strength bricks (1hrbike+25minrun). Saturday was an easier strength ride (3.5hrs) and today (Sun) I did a cruisy 50 min run. I was slack and missed my last two swims of the week.

Anyway I don't have a history of bad back problems (have had rare spasms etc before) and am relatively young and strong. Just wondering whether I should go see a chiro or physio or just let nature take its course (with some anti-inflam help of course!). Also wondering which of the three disciplines is most likely to prevent healing and which is the best.

11 weeks out from IM debut and finishing of base work. Aiming for a strong showing so don't want to lost too much hard work.

What would you do?

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Back spasms - advice please. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seek professional help instead of waiting so long.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Back spasms - advice please. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a long history of back problems and suggest that you go see a physio ASAP. I've also used Robaxecet which is a muscle relaxant that will help. A good thing to try as well is to take 2 tennis balls and put them in an old sock and tie the end of the sock. You lay on top of it with one tennis ball on either side of your spine (lie down on a reasonably hard surface so they push into your back). It is uncomfortable at first but it forces the muscles to relax in order for you to get comfy and helps loosen things up.
Quote Reply