Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time Trial Etiquette and Format
Quote | Reply
I am hoping to do my first time trial next month. Could you guys give some info on what I should expect, and also what etiquette I should follow? I guess it is a 14.4 mile TT, with six laps, and we have to count our own laps. I assume I have to race Cat 4, based on what I have seen posted on this forum. It says I can buy a one day USCF license, do I need anything else?

I'm also a little bit curious as to how to race it. I guess I should just go out there and hammer away, but I don't really want to blow up on it either. Any way I can gauge how fast I should start the first couple of laps, without blowing up?

I assume that they stagger the start, but will I have all Cat 4's in front and behind me? Seems like with six laps, there's going to be people all around me.

Any advice, besides just go out and have fun? I definitely plan on having fun, plus there is a duathlon in the same area with a bike leg that is a couple miles shorter the following weekend. I am looking forward to both of these to give me some real speed work, and this Time Trial as a good tune up for the Duathlon. Thanks for the help,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trial Etiquette and Format [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One day licenses from USCF used to be five dollars. Sometimes you have to make sure you preregister, since the USCF guy will be too busy on race day to deal with the license. You might need to sort that out the day before.

USCF rules require a jersey with sleeves. They may enforce it so make sure you don't show up with a sleeveless tri type jersey.

I pace time trials by targeting a speed for the first few minutes, then keeping my HR at 175 from there. Your targets will vary.

Have fun and don't be worried about getting smoked. I did a 1:06 40 K time trial last year, and I beat only three stragglers in my 45-49 age group. The age group winner was well over 27 mph for the distance. There are a lot of good riders out there. I couldn't believe it when he closed a two minute head start in nine minutes and blew by me.

No drafting. Drafting zone is 80 feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have four stright weekends of time trials coming up as well. You want to start the TT giving the same effort that you finish it in and keep a contant HR over the distance. Your HR should be at about 90-92% of your Max HR (I race at 171-175) for the entire distance. You will want to get a good 45 min warmup before racing and spin up to 90% MHR a few times to get yourself ready.

Dont drink anything 30 mins before the event up until just before you start (so you wont have to pee) and then drink a bit right before the start. You should have already been drinking all morning and be properly hydrated. Use a gel about 30 minutes before the start. When at the line clip in both pedals and lead off on your non-dominant leg so that your stronger leg gets a full push to get you up to speed.

Watch your HR throughout the event and make sure you compensate for hills and dont go over or under your target.

The start and turnaround and last 1/3 of the course are the areas you will want to concentrate on to ensure that you do not lose time.

Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gather from your post that you are not (and have never been ) a USCF licensed rider. If that's the case, you will have to rce Category 5 - not 4. AS the first response stated, you may want to take care of the license in advance, rather than wait until race day.

Make sure to get a real thorough warm up and be sure to synchronize your watch with the race officials, and get to the start in advance. I've never been to a TT where at least one person didn't miss their start.

JC

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trial Etiquette and Format [joncane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely check on the category soon, if its a cat 4 and below you won't be allowed to race (until you get licensed as a 5 and then upgrade which will take months + good results) , if its cat 5 you should be ok w/ getting a one day license.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your first TT, I'd suggest NOT hammering out of the start. I find that's a great way to blow up. Since it's your first time, you may be a bit overexcited which will make the effect even worse. Go out of the start at a good fast pace, but you should feel that you're holding yourself back a bit for the first few minutes while you settle into the race. There will be time to hammer later. Also, I ride TTs differently than a tri. I slow down my cadence and really focus on a fluid, powerful stroke. After all, you don't have to run afterwards. So give it all you got. Good luck and have fun. TTs can be more painful than you might think.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trial Etiquette and Format [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's for sure Cat 4 and below, that's why I assumed I was Cat 4, since it was the lowest option on the application. I emailed one of the contacts and he didn't mention anything about me not being able to race. I'll have to check into this further. The guy I emailed just said that if I never raced before, I should be a Cat 5, but since they don't have a Cat 5 at the TT, I'll have to race Cat 4. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong guy.

Anyways, thanks for the all the great advice,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trial Etiquette and Format [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary in SD Writes:

> Dont drink anything 30 mins before the event up until just before you start (so you wont > have to pee) and then drink a bit right before the start.

This runs counter to what every coach I've had has told me. I was always told to drink constantly during warm-up up to the start of a TT. Including carrying a throw-away bottle with me to the start to drink to the last minute. It seems that restricting liquid for 30 minutes of fairly strenuous riding during the warm-up can only lead to lower levels of hydration during the race.

Tony Geller
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trial Etiquette and Format [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only should your jersey have sleeves, but it should be somewhat plain - you aren't allowed to wear a jersey from a team you're not on - so, for example, don't wear a U.S. Postal jersey unless you are one of Lance's teammates! Good Luck
Quote Reply