Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training puppy to run
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any insight on at what age and how to safely go about turning your dog into a running partner?

TIA,

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: training puppy to run [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anybody have any insight on at what age and how to safely go about turning your dog into a running partner?

TIA,

Brian

Hopefully you researched the breed of dog -- some dogs are literally born to run -- others are not.

Depends on your dog's breed as to age to start running -- and the best way to start a running program is lots of walking.

Also - put obedience class on your things to do list.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I read somewhere that large breeds need up to a year before they are really ready to run, due to how much they grow the pounding can really take a toll on their joints and stunt growth. Obviously start slow and short at first anyway, soon enough you'll be finishing a run completely spent and the dog will be begging for more.
Quote Reply
Re: training puppy to run [Goose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking strictly from my own experience, 1 year is a nice safe number, but some puppies can run sooner if they show the inclination to do so and are full grown. We found the biggest thing was getting our pups footy pads tough enough to handle several miles of pavement, so we started out letting her run on grass whenever possible. We also let her dictate the pace and when she was done we stopped. Sometimes this was only 2 miles, sometimes she'd pull us along for 6 miles.

Our pup (a hound dog mix) started running with us at about 8-9 months. She proved she could run 6 miles on our first meeting as she had been abandoned at a campground and followed me on my run. Given that I didn't worry too much about her ability to run thereafter.

Now we have a new 6 month old Heeler mix that I'm holding off taking for a run just yet. She shows signs of being able, but I'm not convinced she's fully developed yet and her pads are definitely not ready for miles of pavement. I may start her out running around the subdivision (.75 miles) in another 1-2 months and go from there based on her response.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other comments, but wanted to add a few notes to think about. Yes, wait until the dog is older so that you don't stunt their growth, but remember that large breeds will grow until almost 18 months. Lots of play and walking while they are young should toughen the pads, but when they break into a stride, they will start rubbing them in new places, so start slowly.

If you start logging lots of miles with your new buddy don't fall into the same trap I did. I used one of those "hands free" leashes for years with my last dog, and he became my faithful running companion until he became ill with the canine equivalent of MS. Anyway, at the end of our runs I would be somewhat pulling him along(not dragging him, he was just a step behind me) This pulling turned itself into some serious hip problems on my opposite side. I didn't realize it at the time, but after he was unable to walk due to his illness, and I had to set him free to run in dog heaven, my hip problems went away.

Enjoy the new pet, and remember, they don't care what you did or how long you have been gone, as long as you come home.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Re: training puppy to run [runboorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanx all....

I got a purebred Golden Retreiver whose parents and grandparents were certified for hip dysplacia(?). I had tried a shelter dog and ended up with a biter, so this time went to a breeder. My first choice wasn't the dog I bought because he was BIG and I thought I might end up with a linebacker not a receiver. I took my second choice which was a smaller male.

I have heard mixed stories about the timing of starting long runs. It seems consistent that this breed doesn't mature until around 18 months, but does that mean you wait that long to start building towards 5-8 mile runs. I live close to the beach, lagoons and a lake so he will have plenty of water exercise also. It won't just be running.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. As others have said, the age to start running is dependant on the breed and development of the dog.

2. Be sure, that the dog is a running dog i.e. it is built to run. Many breeds are not.

3. Standard and advanced obedience training will be very helpful. The dog needs to know that despite being out for a run and having a good time, you are still in charge. This will also help the dog focus on you - depending on where you run there may be many distractions.

4. Understand the dogs tolerance to heat. It's much lower than ours. I have a Labrador Retriver and he would wilt in anything over 15 - 20C. However, he loved the cold and the wet. Good thing because for most of his running years, we lived in Vancouver!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be aware that your retriever is one of the breeds susceptible to getting the condition called Bloat. Don't feed your dog within two hours before or after exercise. Bloat is an extremely serious condition that can be fatal.

See: http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/bloat.html

or

http://www.dog.com/vet/nutrition/08.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great points from all. I would like to further reinforce that waiting protocol. Taking your dog for leashed runs (your dog tied to YOUR pace) of 5-8 miles should be avoided for at least a year.

However, combined with proper obedience training, off the leash roaming, romping, etc. should be fine. Your dog can tear around for hours at his/her own naturally influenced pace and whim. They will be able to get in some bursts that exceed what you are cabable of, and can slow down to something that is comfortable by their bodies' definition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an 8 month old lab. Our vet says 1 mile max until he's 1 year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dittos on vet advice re waiting. Dittos on "bloat" or stomach twist. I almost lost my older standard poodle to that but I caught it so fast that $2,000.00 of surgery and after-care later, she was OK. I was lucky that a neighbor's standard poddle had had the condition, and so I was aware and acted quickly. Just a few hours makes the difference between life/death/permanently disabled. Wait overnight, and your dog is dead.

My dog was not even running or romping, just sleeping and walking around the house.

Anyone with a larger breed, particularly with a large chest cavity, should learn about this condition. I believe that the stomach flips over and cuts off the blood supply, and food will not pass through the gut.

Learn the symptoms and react fast.
Quote Reply
Re: training puppy to run [FLORIDAVID] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have an 8 month old lab. Our vet says 1 mile max until he's 1 year.

....but can you go for long three/ four hour trail walks? Just curious.

Also on the bloat issue, first THANK YOU, it sounds very similar to colic in horses. In reading the links, it is probably the best reason to buy higher quality ($) dog food that is protein based not grain as are many lower quality foods.

Anyone use a harness that the dog can carry his own H20 bottle?

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....but can you go for long three/ four hour trail walks? Just curious.

That should be fine with ample water. I would again advocate, as in my prior posting, allowing off the leash when possible so the pup isn't locked into your comfort, rather his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyone use a harness that the dog can carry his own H20 bottle?

Give him a break, will you? Imagine that weight bouncing around, particularly the body weight to water bottle weight ration.

Yes, horses are susceptible, but colic is, I believe, different and can occur anywhere in the digestive tract.

My dog only got canned food (in other words, not the kind that expands to any great degree, and she is not a piggy eater--eats a little here and there when she feels like it--same with water), so what you suggest will help, but will not be a guaranty. I understand that many dog handlers (police dogs, etc.) carry Digel in their cars any give their dogs some at the first sign of gastrointestinal discomfort.

When the vet does the surgery, they will stitch the dogs stomach walls to their sides, to help reduce the chance of it happening again, but no guaranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got some small saddlebags for my adult Dobe. We were off the leash and I put a cup of dry dog food, a little water and a few other small things in her saddlebags. This was the first time we had used it. She walked along for a few feet, not keeping up when she is usually ready to run. After a couple of feet she moaned and fell over and refused to get up. I wondered if I had put too much weight on the pack, although that didn't seem possible. I took the pack off and she jumped up ready to run. We walked about 10' then I emptied out the pack and put it back on. She performed the same melodramatic act with an empty sack on her back! She let me know loud and clear that a Dobe is for security and not for manual labor. I think she has a union card, I'm not sure.

About running, I got my Dobe when she was 7 years old, so I don't know about puppies, however we did have to bring her up to distance slowly. 2 miles was tough for her at first. Within 3 years she was running double marathon training. In fact, after one day of around 55 miles for the dog, at the end of her second long run she chased and caught a cat that had a huge headstart on her!

Be very careful about your dog in the heat. The earliest sign is a tongue hanging out far in excess of what it normally is. Next, the gums will change colors. You'll probably see froth around the mouth around this time. A golden retriever should be a great dog to run with.
Quote Reply
Re: training puppy to run [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dog is only 8 weeks old so none of this is happening soon. I am just looking for another source of what MIGHT work. Even from "professional" ie. breeders, trainers, vets, I am getting different opinions. I am going to take in all of it and look for consistent themes to follow.

Do you realy think a 25 ounce water bottle on a 80# dog would be unreasonable? Or do I go from a hand held water bottle that I use to a camelbak?

Gracias,

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: training puppy to run [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, any tips on ramping up the mileage with your older dog ... particularly how to know when to back off.

We just adopted a six year old boxer cross. She is totally full of beans, wants to leap over the couch, out of the truck with the tail gate up ... very cool dog, just needs to learn about being careful in the house :) So far, I've worked up to running with her 4-5k about 3-4 times per week but she would definitely like to do more. That would be cool but I'm worried about damaging her joints/pads if we do too much too fast.

Don't have much background but before we got her about 6 weeks ago, she had been at the SPCA for at least 6 months so I don't think she got much chance to run during that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GNARLY....... double marathon training!!! I had a cat that became dinner for a coyote, broke my daughter's heart and my wife's who actually witnessed it going down, so I feel bad for the cat, but that's a helluva finishing kick!!! Credit where credit's due.
Quote Reply
Re: training puppy to run [mirdive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the first year, I checked her pads after every run. There was never any noticeable wear so I only checked periodically after that.

I would cut the run short as soon as she starts to fall back a little. Most dogs will do their best to hide their pain, so if you notice anything it must be getting bad.

My dog got to where she knew which clothes I run in. If she saw me in running shorts, she would go nuts. If your dog doesn't seem like he's about to pee his pants from excitement when he figures out that it is running time, either leave him home or take him for a test mile.

Also pay attention to how quickly your dog gets up when he sees you. Check how stiff they look when they get up from a long nap.

My Dobe is over 13 now, average life span is 13 years and she is getting pretty slow now so she only goes on a 1 mile easy jog every day. I really miss not running with her. I also miss the feeling of security knowing that my wife was running next to a Dobe.

Long runs with your dog can be a lot of fun. I had a great time watching my dog play with an emu. The emu hated my dog (probably thought she was a coyote) and wanted to peck a hole in her head. My dog thought it was a great game, and she finally found someone who could run her speed. They would take off one on either side of a fence and go about a mile ahead of me at about 30 mph. I'd lose sight of her, then there would be a little blur on the horizon. She's coming back at full speed, a smile from ear to ear, with the emu in hot pursuit. She'd tag me with her nose kind of saying come on this is fun, and then do it over and over again. This was in the course of a 22 mile run I was doing. God knows how many miles the dog did that day, many of those miles at over 30 mph!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
God knows how many miles the dog did that day, many of those miles at over 30 mph!
What a great day to remember! One of many gifts to humans from our dogs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stopped running by English Springer Spaniel, Oliver. He's 13, almost blind and deaf as a stone. But, one of my neighbors said I could take him on my short runs (a 3.25 mile loop). I'm skeptical.

Anyone else have an old dog they run?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply