Trial by internet
Quote | Reply
just a reminder. we don't do that here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that this is your board and you are free to do as you like. But, please explain why discussing the business practices of triathlon related companies is off limits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typing something in a fit of rage is more likely to get the typer in trouble than the person who is being ranted against.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Excellent point and I do agree with you.

What thread was this post relating to.

While we may disagree with this process, it seems to be as old as online forums are.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh! I just finished writing a lovely explanation of how these web thingies work, and transaction processing, and the wisdom of using a dedicated credit card for online shopping, and then it got blown away.

But I agree with you. As I wrote in my post. Which was brilliant, by the way.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,
I think the word choice ('steals') was a bit strong, but it is good to know about vendors that are sloooow to refund money.
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [dts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used "steals" not out of a vindicative desire, but because legal counsel used the word "theft".
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It ain't theft without intent.
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"please explain why discussing the business practices of triathlon related companies is off limits."

1. because it's one-sided. the vendor or manufacturer can either take the high road and not reply, or sink to the level of the person who posts. if the latter, the longer it drags on the more he'll get accused by some on the board of being petty. he can't win.

2. depending on the mood and inclinations of the company, i might be saving the person who posted a whole lot of legal trouble. esp if you accuse a person of a criminal act (which, i believe, you did).

3. if you want to rag on walmart, have at it. but not on people inside the industry, unless you're really sure you want to play it out to the bitter end and deal with all the consequences. i will almost certainly take the side of the entity in industry, as will most longtime triathletes and industry people on the board.

4. yes, you're right, it was in retrospect a good idea to shit-can that thread, and you're welcome.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dropped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's good to be king!

I live alone, so I am totally in charge in my home (when the dogs are outside).
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumor has it caleb is Australian. :-p

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Sep 9, 04 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
". yes, you're right, it was in retrospect a good idea to shit-can that thread, and you're welcome."

Dan,

What thread was it?

Agree with you that many of the old guard here, who respect and understand the business, will side with the business. We are too small, to be dividing into camps and going at each other. We all need to work together.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"umor has it caleb is Australian."

not true. he's philosophical about grouse hunting, and is pretty smart about bike equipment. the board is the better for his being here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful Fleck, Dan is going through his sensitive time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Dan is going through his sensitive time."

i'm not as sensitive as i used to be. you get old, you build up callouses.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just remember what my wife told my daughter. "Honey this time is not fun or comfortable so just take deep breaths and keep in mind it will be over in a few days." ;-)

Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Sep 9, 04 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think warning people about a bad experience is a good thing if... and it's a big if..You have given yourself a cooldown period. Once the issue was corrected it might be prudent for Caleb to have given notice of the bad experience so we could all make up our minds as to whether or not we choose to deal with a particular company.

If you write out your experience as it happened, it's a statement as opposed to an angry rant and nothing can be held against you (as long as you stick to what actually happened as you see it). In my business, if you didn't see it, feel it, taste it, hear it...it didn't happen.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Trial by internet [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you say is very true but Dan is too much fun to raz to let logic get in the way. I will post :-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>Rumor has it caleb is Australian. :-p

What are you implying Tibbs? ;-)
Quote Reply