Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions about the Easton Attack Bars?
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of getting the Easton Attack Bars. I've been reviewing the various bars setup all season but nothing has been satifactory to me. Now that I've qualified for IMH which was a surprise after having broken ribs and unable to train until March 18 I'm thinking of making the jump but need to do so now so I can get fully acclimated to it. It's big bucks to spend but looks comfortable and it appears to me that the Easton has the most similarities a road setup though I know its not going to be as aero as the Hed. But it would be certainly more aero than what I have. I currently have the 40 cm Prima 199 road bars with Syntace C2 on my QR/Merlin 650c Aerial. I can't seem to give up the riding on the top of the hoods.

I didn't like the Hed/Oval ones at all & the other one I thought I like was the Profile Aluminix until I saw it & the oversized bar and no adjustibility. An integegrated setup is out of the question due to fit issues.

I also am wondering how the easton is with the aero water bottle setup like the dula chamber podium quest (http://www.podiumquest.com) or jetstream given that its carbon fiber? Are there any weight issues/safety limitations.

I have a big cycle week ahead (~500 miles) in two weeks while on Cycle Oregon which while a "tour" is 7 days of days rides ranging from 52-123 with a great deal of climbing Crater Lake included. So I'll have plently of riding time to get acclimated.

I have always wanted to "upgrade" the carbonaero fork the Aerial comes with as it weighs a ton but I haven't found any fork that is a aero with a better blade that minimizes the cross wind affect as the carbonearo does. Others like the Ouzo Pro aero or the Easton EC90 aero are about half the weight but aren't quite as good. I think my $ are probably better spent on the bar upgrade.

My last IMH 01 I was blown all over the place with the Aerial using Zipp 404 so the heavier fork might be better anyway. This time I am thinking of leaving my Zips at home & just using my Rolf Vector Comps.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barb
http://www.active.com/donate/kona/armedforces
Last edited by: BarbBikeTechie: Sep 1, 04 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: Questions about the Easton Attack Bars? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow..that's a lot of words to use to essentially ask if we like our Easton bar. I love mine. It's comfortable and very easy to use. I set it up with a Jetstream bottle (gotta use Jetstreams velcroed on clamp though). I think the aero thing vs Hed/whoever is insignificant to overall comfort. I highly recommend the bar as does Tom D and many others on this forum.

Congrats on Hawaii.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever thought of using the ITM Dual? They are designed for the roadie-turned time trialist, as there is a considerable upturn on the cowhorn section, allowing easy use of road-levers. Just a thought.

Easton does it's carbon fibre right. I have taken a few Easton parts apart over the years, and the construction is top-notch. I have sawed apart their hockey sticks, I have sawed their posts, and I have seen nothing but good, nearly void-free construction. I don't think the Jet Stream or similar bottles would pose an issue from a weight limitation standpoint. If your Jet Stream would pose a problem, then the bars are about to fall apart anyway.

That Carbonaero fork is probably the finest fork you can get from a strength, aerodynamics, and weight (compared to a similar steel fork in those dimensions) standpoint. Yes, there are lighter forks, but none are as well-proven from an aerodynamics standpoint. I would stick out your current fork if it were me. I see absolutely nothing to gain, and if the correct rake, stack height, and other things are not obtained in your new fork, you could have bigger problems.

Have you thought of using a mid-section wheel for a front? I think you would be well-served going with a mid-section front (like a Nimble Fly, for about $350) and your 404 rear. You would still be able to steer your bike in the wind AND have good wheel aewrodynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have looked very closely at the full Easton full aero bar. One comment: if you like to use the tops of the bars (the flat part of the bar closest to the rider) during climbing, don't get this bar. The support system for the elbow pads completely blocks access to the tops.

Also, the Easton bar is about 2 times the price of almost anything else out there--not worth it. Have you looked at Profile's 'Carbon X' (the Carbon full aero bar with integrated stem)? Also, for long hours on the bike, there is a lot to be said for using light drop bars with light comfortable clip-on aero bars. This gives a great variety of hand postitions and lots of folks use this kind of set up for hilly Ironman racing and training. Good luck.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> I'm thinking of getting the Easton Attack Bars.

> I can't seem to give up the riding on the top of the hoods.

> An integegrated setup is out of the question due to fit issues.

So you want the $150 EA70 Aero Extensions, or the $700 EC90 Attack integegrated (sic) bar? I'm confused ...

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Re: Questions about the Easton Attack Bars? [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The $700 attack bars. I meant to say the ones with integrated stem I can't use.
I may have an opportunity to get one for about$400.

For climbing I don't really use that iiner hand position but its something to check out. Thanks.
Thanks for all the comments.

I am glad to hear about the fork. I periodically have others suggest I switch my fork but I think the comments by bunnyman are what I have though in the past. Probably should print that out to douse the critics.

Yea probably a mid depth front would be the best. I might be able to borrow a Zipp 303.
Last edited by: BarbBikeTechie: Sep 1, 04 8:43
Quote Reply