Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot Pain?????
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

I have been having some problems with my left foot lately. Every time I ride or run, the ball of my left foot (right in the middle but towards the front) has a sharp little pain in it. It does not affect me while I am walking during the day but I can feel it all the time.

Rode the bike last night and every time I pushed down on the pedals, I could feel it. I will try to run again tonight and see how that goes.

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem or has any suggestions. I do not have any more races this year but damn, I would like to run and ride a bit. I also do not want to be stuck in the pool for the rest of the year water running and swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain????? [bdc71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be plantar fascitis which is very painful...need to do a lot of icing and stretching...also check runnersworld.com and their injury section, that site may help you determine better what it is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like plantar fasciitis. Lots of information about it on the Net.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain????? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar pain after five and 1/2 hours on the bike. I would not have been able to run. About an hour later it was fine. I didn't notice the pain until I got off the bike. This was the first time I have had this, and the only change is that I added a formed insert to support my arch and make a better contact with the shoe/pedal/bike. I did not experience the usual toe numbness, but this "ball of the foot" pain developed. Any thoughts, like, take out the insert (it feels like a better connection, and much less numbness), or keep working with the insert for a while to see if your foot needs to get used to it?
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain????? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor nor I like to play one here in ST. But I don't think your problem is plantar fasciitis. If it was me I would get rid of the arch support, the way I see it, biomechanically the arch doesn't need any support, that's why it's called an arch :-)

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like plantar fasciitis to me also. I just went through a bout myself. Stretches solved it for me. Boy, that list of daily maintenance stretches is getting long, that must be the effect of aging...funny how I did not have to worry about these things before!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
biomechanically the arch doesn't need any support, that's why it's called an arch :-)
I guess this is where the "smartass" part comes from, eh Coach? Are you one of those barefoot runners? I only ask because I don't want an extreme point of view, and I do respect your thoughts and comments on the forum. Additional information: I was about 70 pounds overweight, and lost it, but on the trip down I bought orthotics, which I have now abandoned. But my feet do pronate from "fallen" arches, and so my little brain said, "let's create a better connection to the bike" with a simple store bought type support (not the orthotics). Are you saying don't give them a bit more of a chance? After all, I had a re-adjustment period after stopping the orthotics.
Last edited by: Monk: Aug 31, 04 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plantar fasciits usually starts just to the front of the heel. Way up in the front of the arch might also be a stress fracture. Have you had this checked out?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain????? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, Doc, can I get your thoughts on my post above re:sore ball of foot from biking? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, who highjacked my post here. Can we please get back to the foot pain that I have at the front of my left foot in the middle section. lol thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
hey, who highjacked my post here. Can we please get back to the foot pain that I have at the front of my left foot in the middle section. lol thanks,
F you and your foot pain. I want to talk about me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a corn? Just my guess. I used to get one in that spot--sort of in the valley between where the big toe joint and the other toe joints sort of come together. Hurt like hell on a 20-miler one time and when I took my shoe off I had a big blood blister there. Do you have a spot of thickened skin in that area? A corn pad worn for a few days will make the excess skin slough off.

There is another condition--I think it may be nerve related--that I have seen discussed here before that may affect that general area, but I don't remember the name.
Last edited by: tri_bri2: Aug 31, 04 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bdc, your case is closed, textbook plantar fasciitis. Now Monk needs some attention, he thinks I'm smartassing my way through this, which I am not.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAC--Don't forget to collect the co-pay at time services are rendered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monk, not smartassing, simple biomechanics. Biomechanics is more important than barefoot or Pose or whatever. The arch isn't supposed to be supported. Your pain in the basis of the fascia on the bike might be related to little flexibility on it and bike shoes that but you too much on a "high heels" position. Carnac, Time and Sidi tend to do that. Start stretching the fascia and it will improve.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Start stretching the fascia and it will improve.

What's a good stretch for that?

Shoes are Shimanos. Maybe the cleats are a little far forward?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ShimaNO's??? The plot thickens... anyway, a stretch for the fascia is anything that pulls your fingers up. You can do it by just putting your weight in one leg and bend the toes of your other foot up by pressing your foot against the floor. It's very simple.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stretch I like is the following:

(Example is for the right foot) Sit on a chair with the left foot on the floor, knee about 90 degres angle. Put the right ankle on top of the left knee and pull the toes to stretch the foot. You can pull on the toes with your right hand to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain????? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not so sure about the PF thing but if it is, I have found that this is the best treatment for it.

http://www.thesock.com
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain????? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, spend some money with it, you will feel better ;-)

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks funny, I had never seen it before. For now I will keep with my stretches as they did help me get ride of my mid foot pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain????? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Sock" keeps the foot from "collapsing" at night and keeps the Plantar stretched. So, when you wake up, you have little or no pain from PF. It's an ongoing treatment to supplement the stretching and icing. It has worked wonderfully for me.

BTW. When everyone is referencing stretching for PF, it should be noted that the calf muscles contribute greatly to PF, so stretches should incorporate these muscle groups.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore one of those for a few days once. My shrink asked me "How many psychiatrists does it take to shingle a roof?", and I said, "It depends on how thin you slice them." Next thing I know, I'm in one of those things, but it was designed to cross my arms in front of me and tie them behind my back. I'm feeling better now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somehow, when you're around, I don't feel so alone.
Quote Reply