Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oval Aerobar and Syntace Levers
Quote | Reply
I just got Syntace Space Control levers for my new Oval aerobar. I can't get these things in for the life of me. Has anyone else that bought this bar had problems mounting levers? The levers appear to only be slightly too large so the plan is to ream/sand the inside of the cowhorns until the levers fit, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Oval Aerobar and Syntace Levers [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't remove material from the bar. The wedge on the levers may split the bar if you take material off of the bar. Try to work the wedge down on the lever. Take your time, use emery cloth or a fine sandpaper. Takes a while, but you will be happier with the results! I did the same thing to bar end shifters that would not fit into a Cinelli Angel bar...works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: Oval Aerobar and Syntace Levers [John3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying to sand down the metal wedge of the levers? Wouldn't that take forever and then some? I am going through the same thing with the Syntace levers and Carbon X bars and they won't go in. What I thought is that if you sand down the wedge then it might not grip inside the bar once installed.
Quote Reply
Re: Oval Aerobar and Syntace Levers [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may take a while, yes, but it is the safest way to install the levers. You could use a Dremel tool to speed up the process...doesn't look as nice, but it works. If you remember back to the time of quill stems, the quill and the stem were both smooth with many manufacturers. This held very well and there is a lot more stress on a stem versus a brake lever. It definitely will hold. If you ream out a handlebar, it weakens the area the wedge expands in...if you do this, and apply pressure with the wedge, it WILL crack the bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Oval Aerobar and Syntace Levers [John3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm going with john3 on this one. put a good movie on (i recommend blazing saddles) and start sanding. should have them fit by the time mongo gets candy.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Oval Aerobar and Syntace Levers [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried it yesterday and I was able to sand down the wedge but the metal part of the lever that goes inside the bar is also too big for the handlebar and its too big to be grinded down. I'm just waiting for the Profile Quick Stop II to come out in about 3 weeks and I'll put those in.
Quote Reply
Re: Oval Aerobar and Syntace Levers [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I ended up using a file to file down the wedge on the syntace bars. Quite a bit needed to come off, so it took awhile, but should be fine now. For whatever reason, it appears the Ovals are built around a 25.8mm diameter instead of 26. I think that was the problem in this case anyway.

sweet
Quote Reply