Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: Is this a scam?
Quote | Reply

I put my C40 on roadbikereview.com and got some interest from a guy in Dubai. He is willing to pay full price and send me this email.
This sounds like a scam to me. Should I even continue talking to this guy?
Too bad nobody on ST wanted this bike.
Thx for your help.
Axel

Hello,
Thanks for the response.I have explain the condition of the bike to my client.And he likes it and he has requested that you supply me with the below details so as to be able to make the payment across to you.Also he made perfect arrangement
regarding the shipment of the bike at your house because we have a shipping company that will come for the shipment when you recieve the payment.So i will like you to mail me the following information so
that he can lodge the payment to you:
FULL NAME........................
FULL ADDRESS...........................
ZIP CODE......................................
PHONE NUMBER............................
COUNTRY.........................................
FINAL SELLING PRICE.................................
Am very sure you are an honest person and like to deal with you and i want
us to act on trustworthy and honesty.The item is very important to my client because he want to make use of it in his new film ,So you need not to worry about the shipping,my shipper will take care of the shipping when you contact him for the shipment.
My client is ready to offer you $3,000 I hope you understand all the above arrangements.If you are okay with it kindly get back to me with all the information so that we can proceed.
I will be willing to read from you soon.
Best
Regard

Quote Reply
Re: Help: Is this a scam? [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's the prototypical cut and paste scam email. "Shipping company" scam. These are the bottom feeders of the scam world. Just delete it. You probably will get 2-3 more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way. No deal.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Is this a scam? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

thx guys, that's what I thought. I have only sold stuff on ST and never ran into any issues
Axel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had good luck with the RBR Classifieds as well as here. Its just that RBR Classifieds hit a bigger audience or are more well known- so more Nigerian scammers. Craigslist is getting the same thing now too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea typical scam. I like to f** with them back also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack..sorry if I do. But screw back with those guys.... if ya make them mad enough they will tell you all their secrets. I have seen a lot of s*"t lately out there as I continue my search for a Blade for my son.

I just found a 2005 Litespeed Blade with Zipps f & r, and Dura Ace on the Los Angeles Craigs list for $1950. All new parts, just tuned ...all the crap. Sounds good I guess!! A bell went off when I noticed that the frame had a large top bar...I think the Blade lost the large top tube in 2004 or 2005?? Then I told him I worked for an airline and I would fly out, inspect the bike, and pay him for it. His response was that to see the bike would take at least 25 days and that he was not willing to wait that long????

I guess his story is that he is working in the UK and has some f*"^*g trust company that he wants me to send the money to. Then "an agent will be assigned to handle my payment" ( no crap.. he actually said this ). After the check clears the bike will be shipped. But, I will have a 14 day inspect/return option.

I want to see how mad I can make him. Any ideas??

Chas
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Is this a scam? [bikehauler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell him you have friends in the UK and you would be happy to have one of them deliver the check in person...ya know, just to prove it's not a scam ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Is this a scam? [bikehauler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Here are some tips. Quite possibly one of the most elaborate revenge jobs i have ever seen!
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Is this a scam? [marsh283] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sell me your bike for $1000 and I garantee you this is not a scam, I will not arrange shipping, you will have to go yourself to usps, once again this is not a scam!

by the way you should try on weightweenis. a lot of people have a lot of money over there.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Is this a scam? [marsh283] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Here are some tips. Quite possibly one of the most elaborate revenge jobs i have ever seen!

Great story but stupid move unless you are working for an agency. People don't realize that there are internet mafias.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Is this a scam? [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No kidding..specially after reading the last line: "Jeff was never heard off again........"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical scam.

They send you a cashiers cheque for some huge sum usually more than the cost of the bike and shipping charges. They then ask you to cash the cheque keep what they owe you use some for shipping and then send the remainder back to them via Western Union. You do so and ship them the Bike. A month later the cheque bounces and now you are out all the cash and your bike. They usually don't care about what you are shipping them they just want the cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...e-fee_fraud#Variants

What you should do is accept the offer. Don't cash the cheque since it's bogus anyhow. Tell the person that you are dealing with that you are going to have the bike inspected by the factory but that it's a $50 charge (some small amount not to scare them off) so that they will have it warrantied or some other bullshit story and tell them you need the money right away since the cheque they sent you hasn't cleared in your bank yet. Tell them to send the money via Western Union (since they only deal in cash). Then see what happens. If they send the cash then you have them hooked. Next make up some story that since it's such a large sum the government want taxes on it and need the tax money before they will release the funds 10% of the total ought to do. Etc...

Just keep stringing them along with other charges and fees until they give up.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Last edited by: TheDC: Jul 4, 08 22:14
Quote Reply