Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Grip shift
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me who makes the grip shift system that Badmann uses? I thought it was SRAM but my friend says Profile, but their sites say neither!

I'd like a pair for my HED aerobar.

Thanks Guys, I know you won't fail me.

Julian in England.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Grip shift [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cat Carbon Bikes makes Natascha's Grip Shift. Initially, it started out life as an old Grip Shift 8 sp road model, but Rudi modifies it to 9 speed. I don't remember how much they cost, but go to www.catbikes.ch to look it up. You will deal with Dane (who speaks English) who would be able to help you in getting them.

Your other option is to try and find some Profile UPS shifters. These are a bit rare, but whomever has them will sell you a pair really cheap (like 15-20 Pounds or $40-60).

I use the UPS shifters on my Samantha (Corima) Fox, and love them. I will not switch out my Shimano 9 for as long as I can get away with it. I love Grip Shift-ing!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Grip shift [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman does thaat meaan I can't use it with my Campaag 10 speed?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GRIPSHIFT SUCKS! Seriously, my QR Kilo came with it in '96. It was imprecise and sloppy. It took a whole handfull to go from the small ring to the big ring. When I upgraded to 9 speed they changed it to Shimano bar ends and it was the best part of that upgrade. I've got them in a box somewhere and don't even think they are worth looking for.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, C 10 cannot be used. Rudi only modifies it for Shimano 9.
Quote Reply
Re: Grip shift [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not like Grip Shift for the front mech. I use it on my Fox as I wanted to have bar end shifting and still bridge my bars.

I use a Bartol System on my Fox, so the front Grip Shift really did not matter to me. I had to take the shift ring out of my front UPS unit to make it shift better (and thusly made it a "friction" unit).

I honestly think that the Profile UPS was a serious improvement over the Grip Shift. It's a shame that they don't make it anymore. But what I will say is this: bar ends are still better. But, the Grip Shift type units did allow a very clean way to route cables,and mount a bridge on the aero bar while allowing a bridge to be used.
Quote Reply
Re: Grip shift [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bunnyman, how is the Bartoli working out? A buddy is looking at various automated shifting systems and we were just talking about the Bartoli.

Re: Grip shift [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a few hiccups, it works fine. I would never put it on a road bike, however. It works great on a TT bike, and mechanically simplifies it enormously. I could also see this on a weight weenie bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "grip shift" technology has been owned by several companies. Unfortunately, to my kmowledge it is not made anymore. Too bad. When it was set up properly it was a joy to use. I would assume that there are units out there in the used pool. I have bit's and pieces of two sets in my old junk parts box. Problem is I think that it was made for max 8 speed rear cog sets.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply