Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Cat 5 Criterium
Quote | Reply
Last weekend I was conviced by a friend to enter a criterium. Going into the race I'm mostly concerned with mass crashes, since that is what I've been told to expect. Pull up to the parking lot...

Warning signs:

1. Everyone else is warming up on rollers or trainers.

2. 100% have shaved legs.

3. Prevailing attitude is 100% testosterone. Everyone staring at me as I walk around.

4. Registration booth rotates us through 4 lines and tells us we are in the wrong line after sending us to that line. Finally manage to register in the 4/5 race.

5. Pull up to the start line and realize everyone is on teams with corporate sponsors, (Webcor,Morgan Stanley, etc).

6. Everyone is dropping off a second set of race wheels.

I felt like the scene in rounders where the tourists pull up chairs at the regulars table in Atlantic City.

Basically, my experience was 180 degrees opposite of tris:

36 laps, 18 miles total. No instruction. Gun fires, pace is immediately 28+. Hanging on the back of the peloton. Lap 6 my legs are saying, what the hell are you doing, we usually have to run after this... Begin to get dropped by the pack with another guy. I'm thinking, 30 plus laps to go, I have to settle into a pace that I can sustain... speed quickly drops off when not in peloton. 10 or 12 laps laps in i'm 1/3-1/2 a lap behind the peloton, Race director waves me down out of the race. (apparently, you have to retire if you fall behind by 1/2 a lap)

I feel like I went to Vegas and blew through 35 bucks in 10 seconds. I was assuming that Cat 5 was equal to "beginner" status and was wholly unprepared for this level of racing. Are all Cat 5 races this competitive and/or is the level of sandbagging high? Or is it wholly dependent on each race?

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: First Cat 5 Criterium [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose the quality of the field depends on where you are, but that's pretty normal for a crit. The Cat 1,2,pro race isn't that much faster, just better riders and a longer race, and sometimes more tactics. But, it's a totally different fitness than what we develop for triathlons. You have to be able to sprint out of every corner, that was my experience at least.

BTW, great user name. My favorite book!

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Webcor, Shmebcor. I get crap for hairy legs myself. Only thing you can do about it is beat'em. Takes a little practice though.

I recommend that you look for a 'weekday' race series in your area. They're often a little less competitive. 4/5 races are tough if you're a newbie since there's probably a good amount of 4's who have enough points to cat up and keep the pace up, so looking for a '5 only' race may be a good option also. Generally speaking, I wouldn't have gone near a Crit as my first bike race. I'm a Cat 5 myself and waited for a while before I stuck my nose in there. Glad I did.

Also, it's August and people have been doing crits all spring/summer long, so their legs are used to it. A little different from a steady-state effort, I'd say. Stick w/ it though- you'll see the light and drop this swimming and running nonsense! :-)

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you can find a weekday afterwork type crit with a "first timers" start. The local race here has a first timer start with a little instruction that's separate from cat 4/5. Someone can be Cat 4 forever, Cat 5's move up after 10 races. I've had a couple of friends start bike racing after doing well in tri's. They both were pulled from their first races after going off the back. The whole team thing is a little intimidating but a team jersey doesn't mean someone is that good. The team might not have any minimum standard except the ability to pay for the jersey. Riding with a group of road racers on hard training rides will get you used to much faster pace and surges that are foreign to many triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also thought that Cat 5 meant slow... no it just means you haven't raced very much... My first race was a real wakeup call as to how fast I was NOT and how much further to go... depressing but inspiring and motivating at the same time...

Sorry you had such a bad experience but I would say stick with it and you should have some good experiences...
Quote Reply
Re: First Cat 5 Criterium [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is crit racing detrimental to tri training? Or could you subsitiute it for an interval/tempo day? How do you train for crits?

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are at the end of the season here (NorCal). I highly suggest you come out to the Early Bird series this winter. They do an hour of instruction and then they do training races and I believe they split up the Cat 5s into "done +5 races" and "under 5 races". Great way to learn the skills and get some experience. Info will be here: http://www.ncnca.org/

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Cat 5 Criterium [notafish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how racing crits (or any other sort of road-type race) could be anything but good for triathlon. My first crit was exactly the same as the original poster's - I got dropped and limped in alone. I'm back this year and I've learned that in order to ride faster in races I must ride faster in training. That's not to say that every workout is fast, but I try to do at least two tempo rides (or at least rides with tempo intervals in them) every week. It's made a HUGE difference in all of my riding (tri or road).

Personally, I don't train for Crits. I consider Crits to be training for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: First Cat 5 Criterium [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet, that's what I wanted to hear.

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Re: First Cat 5 Criterium [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Northern California... It was a race in Suisun. Looking back I was foolish for not posting this question before I went to the race. That said, I'm glad I did it... I now know what level of fitness I don't have, the sprint out of the corners was very impressive. My biggest regret was not knowing the rules before the race; I could have hung on longer if I knew I was going to get booted.
Quote Reply
Re: First Cat 5 Criterium [notafish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My feeling is being able to cycle faster can only help you...

If you can ride in a crit you are going to have a lot of high. i think that it would be a great substitute for a interval day... in turn intervals make very good training for crits... but nothing would substiute racing...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: LarryCalifornia: Aug 24, 04 15:57
Quote | Reply
If you're Hank, can I be Dagny?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike-only racing, particularly crits, can be an eye-opener. The speeds can be daunting, until you learn how to ride at a very fast speed (which is just as much skill as fitness). I would venture that if you a triathlete with average fitness, you are just as fit as the majority of the riders in your crit race. They, however, know how to ride at 25+ mph for an hour, whereas you do not. Ask them to do a tri, even a short sprint or Olympic distance event, and they'd fry, I bet.

The problem for most triathletes trying to bike race is a lack of explosive speed. A crit is all about short explosive acceleration, followed by short recoveries, followed by more explosive accelerations. Repeat this formula for an hour or so.

I found the best way to prepare, other than racing a lot, is short max effort intervals and sprint intervals. Also, practice bike handling skills, such as cornering, pack riding, bumping shoulders and hips. Crit riding is an entirely different skill set.

One of the most impressive displays by a triathlete I have witnessed was in a crit. this triathlete, with basically no bike racing expereince, shows up to a crit and proceeds to time trial off the front. Very impressive. But not very many of us have the sheer horsepower to do that. And, since the pack didn't know the guy they let him go.

Good luck with your next race. Don't get discouraged. Although, for me, what you described is exactly why I quit bike racing and got into triathlon. I think the people are also nicer on this side of the fence.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got into bike racing by doing crits. I loved them. Wrestling on a bike!

But, I don't think you should do any more crits because you are much more likely to get injured. If you've spent $450 or more on an IM entry and a few hundred on plane tickets, to say nothing of about 500 hours of serious training, you should be very selective about what things you do. And CAT 4/5 is like demolition derby. Most of those guys have more testosterone than skills. We used to have 2 or 3 crashes a race back in the '70's when I raced in McLean and College Park. I still have a funny left hip and left shoulder from those days. :)

If you want to go faster, buy a Power Tap, or Ergomo, or similar power measuring device and get on Dr. Arnie Baker's plan or some other coach's training.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Listen to Cathy - Fremont Early Birds [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are the way to go for getting started in crits. You take a mentored skills clinic before the race. During the race, mentors ride in the pack with you and coach you during the race. They don't pull you if you get dropped at the early birds because they are learning races. You can jump back into the pack as they lap you during the first few races of the series.

www.velopromo.com should have info.
Quote Reply
Re: Listen to Cathy - Fremont Early Birds [amy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most of the cat 4/5 crits I've been in have been won by 5's. We usually caught and smoked the 4's in road races. In the 5's a 6 foot gap is considered a breakaway and everybody chases. More sanity prevails as you move up.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 24, 04 18:04
Quote Reply