Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubes Question
Quote | Reply
I had my girlfriend stop off and pick up some new tubes for her bike yesterday. I told her she wanted 650c 18-23 tubes... the shop gave her 650c 20-25 (I think that was the width) and told her these would work... I noticed they were a little wider and harder to replace. As I was pumping at about 90 psi the tube blew. My question is did the guy at the bike shop sell her a less then perfect soloution or will these actually work fine? I know tubes pop all the time but since I had never used this size before I thought it might be relevent. Her wheels are Ritchey DS/OCR. Thanks.
Quote Reply
check the tire width...... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check to see what size her tires are? thats what you need to know, doesn't really matter what wheel. if the width is 18, 19 or 20 she would need the smaller 18-23 ones. if they are like a 22, 23 or bigger she'll be fine. i would check the rim and rim tape as well.

luke
Quote Reply
Re: Tubes Question [MultiSport PDX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The size on the outside of a tube box is typically rather arbitrary, as are tire measurements for that matter. One companys 18-23 might be anothers 20-25 and vice versa. For the most part tubes are sized a good amount smaller than the space they are intended to fill, how much smaller is highly variable. This means that a variety of sized tubes will fit the same tire. The shop sold you a tube that should have worked fine, dispite its slightly larger size. An increase in size will make it more likely that a small amount of tube will sit between the bead of the tire and the rim, the likely cause of your blowout, but this is more a problem of a less than thorough installation process, not an incorrectly sized tube
Quote Reply
Re: Tubes Question [MultiSport PDX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if the tube blew while you were pumping it up you most likely had a bit of tube pinched under the tire... or you had something foreign and sharp in there either in teh tire or due to too narrow or worn rim tape... if you still have the tube check to see shich side it blew on, if it is the side it is the tube getting caught, the inner would be the rim tape and the outer would be something in the tire...

in answering your specific question, the wider tube should be OK unless she is running a very skinny tire, I almost never see tires narrower than 20 so not the shops fault...
Quote Reply