Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

motivational books
Quote | Reply
I just finished Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox. I really enjoyed it. Also, I liked Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man. Whatever you think of Karnazes, IMO his book is a great read. I know there has been a "what are you reading" thread here, but I am wondering something a little different -- what motivational/inspiring athletes' biographies/ autobiographies have you read?
Quote Reply
Re: motivational books [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read swimming to Antarctica last year. Good book. I read The Way of Peaceful Warrior a few years ago and enjoyed it. I actually took notes in the margins. We watched the movie the night before IMAZ and everyone agreed the movie was pretty motivating, but the book was better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marathon Women - Katherine Switzer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gold in the Water by P. H. Mullen is an EXCELLENT book - follows a handful of swimmers getting ready for the 2000 olympics. Dara Torres, Kurt Grote, Dod Wales, Tom Dolan (a little), Tate Blahnik, and I am drawing a blank on the other one who's a major 'character' - 200 breast/400 IMer. Anyway, really well written and if you love swimming you will just eat that book up.

A friend of mine - W. Hodding Carter- has a book coming out this June. It's called Off the Deep End and I can't wait to read it - he's a good writer, a phenomenal swimmer, and it's about his training and trying to swim some really fast times as an adult... I am also excited because I will know most of the 'characters,' they are the guys I swim with.

picking up a running magazine, or OUTSIDE magazine, is usually motivational for me.

OH! short story by TC Boyle - "She Wasn't Soft" - about 2 triathletes. quick read but really good.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: motivational books [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got done reading Gold in the Water based on a recommendatoin off the other thread and loved it too. Keeps me highly motivated in the swim.

Another book I just got done reading is The Bunion Derby. It is the story of a foot race across the US in 1928 that was organized as a big promotional stunt as opposed to a real test of stamina. It really is incredible what these guys went through. They didn't have running shoes and had to sleep in tents at night. Really incredible story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Joan Benoit Samuelson...she's very down to earth and an excellent mother and athlete. As far as general motivational books for life and work, try The Go-Getter, QBQ, and Good to Great. Happy reading!
Quote Reply