Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wipperman chain question
Quote | Reply
Over the years I've read that the best thing you can do for your components is to keep the chain clean and lubed. I bought a Wipperman connex chain with the idea that I can easily remove it and soak it to clean it. Whenever I clean my bike I can never get all the dirt particles out of the chain. I figured the Wipperman chain would be easy to remove and soak which would definitely get the "gunk" out of it. I should have asked first, but is a Wipperman chain as reliable as the Shimano? Any thoughts or comments on easily removable chains?
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain question [Tom H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the Wipperman chains now for years with no problems. You bought the right chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The chain is great. The removable link in not reliable. See my related posts here about de-gunking chains here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...psed;page=last;#last

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't used the wipperman but use the SRAM with a removable link. I've change to SRAM for about two years now and couldn't be more happy with the chain and link. Cleaning is a breeze. These are not the links of days gone by. Whether Wipperman or SRAM they are high quality. Shimano chains are a pain in the butt in every way. And - I have broken my far share of Shimano chains...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problems here with my 908 with maybe 1000km shared between 2 chains. Just make sure you install the link properly every time!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a Wipperman 10x01 (10 speed, stainless) and so far no problems at all. I've broken a Shimano HG 73 chain about a year ago in my older bike, and since that crash (winding up for a sprint, over 50km/h...), I don't trust regular joining pins anymore.
Just inspect your quick link every so often to be sure, keep it clear and lubed, and you'll be fine.

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain question [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long might you expect the Wipperman or SRAM to last? I've got a one month old Ultegra on my bike that the LBS by my work says is stretched with a reading of .75 and needs replacing, which surprised me. I've been doing about 2:30:00 a day in the past month, almost all of it in the local hills/mountains riding around 200 watts. Does this sound reasonable? It would be awesome to have an easily removable chain that could be cleaned well as there is something about looking at my bike with a near spotless chain on it that makes me feel good.
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chain question [JoeMWiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Wipperman chains last a long time. I only change them when I start to feel guilty. Maybe every year or so.

It helps the chain life when you don't generate any power.
Quote Reply