Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [turtlegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moral of the story: sometimes the people who work "where you got it" (bike shops) are not necessarily the big experts (sometimes they are downright clueless--I have had some amazing experiences in this department, even at "reputable" tri shops). Not that I am the last word either, but I have been riding/racing for 25+ years and I've picked up a few pointers along the way.

Try not to use simple green on the chain--you dont want it inside the links. I do use it sometimes on the bike (frame, wheels, cassette, etc.), but I do my best to keep it out of the chain. The 'gunk' on the chain can be wiped off before and after lubing. A PERFECTLY clean chain (like brand new) doesnt really get you anything unless you are an order and cleanliness freak. Get it pretty clean and well lubed (inside especially) and you will go as fast as it was when it was brand new.

About rain, this is what I do. (While you ride, dont worrry too much. Continuous water is its own suprisingly good lubricant.) After the ride, you can lube it immediately, but I wait until after the water dries out (the bike is usually indoors during the dry out time), and THEN I lube it. The lube gets in better when the chain is dry (capillary action and all). The trivial amount of rust disapears immediately. However, do not ride the bike with a rusty and/or squeaky chain because then you are wearing it out real fast (and wasting a fair amount of drivetrain energy).

Side note: I have not used the SRAM and other brands of "superlinks" since I have heard from many folks more experienced than myself over decades that they are problem plagued for riders that push hard on the pedals. They fail all the time (and at the worst times). A complete riveted chain is the best bet. Put it on once. Take it off when it stretches and toss it. Chain stretch can be verified by exact measurement, no need to throw it away "every so many miles". Chain wear varies VASTLY depending on milage, rider size, rider strength, rider gearing, amount of climbing, chain cleanliness, etc. Save your money and replace them when they need replacement.

Any less confused?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so if i were to hot tank my chain then use a heated pressure washer to clean out the cleaning detergent out of the inside of the rollers and then let the chain soak in a bottle of ice wax for 30 minutes or so before putting it back on the bike would this be considered bad for the chain? i mean im using the hot tank to get all of the gunk out from inside the rollers then getting out the cleaning agent with the pressure washer and im getting the lube back into the rollers by letting it soak in the ice wax. to me this seems to be pretty thourough in both the cleaning and lubing aspects. and yes, before anyone says it, i do know im a little bit of a clean freak.
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Side note: I have not used the SRAM and other brands of "superlinks" since I have heard from many folks more experienced than myself over decades that they are problem plagued for riders that push hard on the pedals. They fail all the time (and at the worst times). A complete riveted chain is the best bet. Put it on once. Take it off when it stretches and toss it. Chain stretch can be verified by exact measurement, no need to throw it away "every so many miles". Chain wear varies VASTLY depending on milage, rider size, rider strength, rider gearing, amount of climbing, chain cleanliness, etc. Save your money and replace them when they need replacement.

I use Connex 10 speed and 9 chains after breaking a Shimano chain and have found them to be very good.

Measuement sounds much better then replacing on mileage but at what measurement do you toss the chain?
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Wipperman with my P3. I am absolutely thrilled that I can remove the chain and clean thoroughly. My LBS guy recommended that after cleaning the chain, to blow dry it with a hand held hair dryer to remove all the water in the links in order to minimize rusting. Their recommendation for lube (they road race), which I use, is Pedro's Road Rage. I clean and lube before every race or else about once a month. The Road Rage seems to be a major dirt magnet. I still don't remove 100% of the gunk in the links, but when it goes back on the bike, that chain sure runs sweet and smooth.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [smitto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would probably work fine, but would take about 2 hours longer than I would be willing to spend.

Wow, you are one motivated cleaning person.

Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [malvern star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy the Park tool "chain checker".

Or, tension the chain on the bike and measure from any pin to any other pin about 12" away (straight line of course). Use a VERY precise (very thin lines showing increments) metal ruler (tape measure is not so good). If it is EXACTLY 12" from center of pin to center of pin, chain is fine. If it reaches 12 & 1/16" toss the chain.

Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [smitto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A quicker way of getting the cleaners out of your chain would be to use electrical contact cleaner. It will wash away the cleaner and then evaporate very quickly. A problem with contact cleaners and degreasers is that they will pull the oil out of all of the pores in the metal making up the chain. Letting the chain soak in lubricant is a good idea. Building on that, you could work the chain around and help the lubricant get into the pivot pins better, then wipe the chain down so there is no excess lubricant dripping from it.

I still like cleaning with WD-40 and then lubing with T-9.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i actually used to use the contact cleaner you are refering too but found that brake parts cleaner did the same job for a fraction of the price. ( the only difference was that it took a few minutes to completley dry.) but i found out that it actually gets absorbed through the skin and hits your liver within a matter of minutes. so now when i go to pick up my dad from work i just throw the chain ini the hot tank with whatever else they have in there and pull it out about 15 to 20 minutes later when its clean.
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My LBS guy recommended that after cleaning the chain, to blow dry it with a hand held hair dryer to remove all the water in the links in order to minimize rusting.

So, this guy tells you to apply heat to a chain after applying a volatile solvent? I'm not a scientist, but this sounds like a Bad Idea (TM).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We use the SRAM chains on both our 9 and 10 speed bikes (use 10-speed connex connector on 10-speed drivetrain). When it comes time to clean the chains - about every 3-4 weeks or before races - I first start some water to boil on the stove. Next, while the water is heating, I pour a small amount of Simple green from the the gallon refill container I purchased at Autzone, into an old peanut butter jar. Next I insert the chain, close the lid on the jar and shake vigorously for several minutes. Afterwards, unless I have two peanut butter jars, I remove the chain from the peanut butter jar and flush the inside of the jar with water to remove the grit and grime. If water is at or near boiling, I place the chain in the peanut butter jar and fill the jar with enough very hot water (exercise caution) to cover chain. At this point I close lid noting that steam from the hot water will cause an increase in pressure within the jar, I agitate the jar for a few moments then carefully loosen the lid to release pressure during the process. After a minute or two, I set the jar on work surface, remove the lid and use old spoke (forceps or needle nose pliers are good) to remove the chain from hot water. At this point the links of the chain are also very hot, so I hang the chain from the celing to allow it to air dry/cool for a few minutes before handling. When the chain is cool enough to handle - noting that it should be very clean - it can be reinstalled and lubed based on your preferences.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> > hand held hair dryer to remove all the water in the links

> after applying a volatile solvent

Water Ken ... water.

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So, this guy tells you to apply heat to a chain after applying a volatile solvent? I'm not a scientist, but this sounds like a Bad Idea (TM).

Ken Lehner "

Well actually, I use Pedro's degreaser, which does contain mineral spirits according to the label. However, the amount is so miniscule and the hair dryer doesn't come with a scorch setting so that it isn't a problem. I also wipe the chain down after the degreaser. Furthermore, reading up at the Park Tool website (if I got that right), they suggest following up the degreaser with soap and water. I have found this effectively removes a lot more dirt/junk inside the chain links. Then, using the hair dryer becomes a lot more important to remove residual water.

I have to admit, though, Ken, I am really curious now to see what you look like after you use a hair dryer.

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's just say that a hair dryer isn't as useful for me as it once might have been...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: question for Tom Demerly or other bike experts [brett c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as Sheldon Brown observes, this is in fact a religious question.

Jobst Brandt has a strong opinion:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

Sheldon's take is here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Personally I go with Sheldon's recommendations (same method as Greg uses), with TriFlow or Prolink. If I lived in a wetter climate I might do something differently, but here on the high plains I'm getting good chain life this way.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Last edited by: doug in co: Aug 16, 04 9:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next