Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Ironman Body Blues
Quote | Reply
Hi All! As you can tell I am in need of some advice. So here it is. I am recently off of my first IM (USA). I finished in 13:08, which is an hour slower than I wanted but hey, I finsihed! Physically I held up well, but at mile 18 of the run I had to walk due to a very sore lower, right IT band. I knew I would have to walk at some point b/c I am not the best runner, so my ego was not too bruised.

After the race I took a solid week off & did nothing (except had a few beers!). Now I am easing back into working out & I feel like garbage. My energy on the bike is pathetic (I feel like I am pushing the bike through mud), when I run downhill my knees are still sore, my swim stroke is about as coordinated as a hippo, & in general my passion for working has gone by the wayside!! When I manage to PUSH myself out the door I am generally unhappy. I haven't had a good workout since the race.

What should I do? Am I still recovering from the race even three weeks out from the IM? Needless to say I am very frustrated w/the state I am in! Being the Type A triathlete that I am I still have more races to do before the season is over, so I have to keep plugging away. I just can't seem to get it together either mentally or physically.........any help is greatly appreciated!

Signed Unhappy
Quote Reply
Re: Post Ironman Body Blues [tribri33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 weeks out and feeling crappy is certainly not out of the ordinary. Everyone is different and all 4 times I've done one of these I get a different result. I've felt good in two weeks and I 've felt like dung 5 weeks out.

I usually start back in with easy spins on the bike and easy swims. A couple weeks after I'll go out for some easy runs. My usualy gauge for where I am in recovery is to put just a little intensity in, if I immediately have a racing HR and no energy I know I've got a ways to go. In the first couple of weeks though I do no intensity at all, it will just set back your recovery.

Take it slow and listen to your body. If you try to force it you'll take longer to get back to normal than if you had been more conservative.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on paying attention to what your body is telling you. Take more time off and back off completely and go in with no expectioins right now.

Heck I have noticed coming off a Half IM takes a couple of weeks before I feel ok again..so full IM..at least a month?

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you try doing something other than swim/bike/run for a while? Try mountain biking, hiking, b-ball, tennis, beach volleyball, inline skating, etc, etc. There's no rule that says you have to be back into hard-core training within x weeks. Find some physical activity that you love to do and just do that for a while. You'll find your way back eventually, but your mind and body need a break.

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, since I beat you badly in Lake Placid, (13:07, or by one minute) I can give you words of wisdom.

Don't worry about it. You have post IM let down. I just had my first good ride two days ago. It was at least a week sooner than I expected. I did enjoy blowing up our little group on a ride Sunday too.

One day soon you will snap back and want to go for a good workout. Don't push it. Don't feel guilty. Don't force yourself out the door. When you are ready, you will be ready. It happens all of a sudden and in different ways. The last couple of times for me have been sitting at the computer and I find myself looking at the calendar of local races for the first time in weeks. Then I know I am ready to go again. Don't even think about racing again until you are ready.

Congratulations, you are an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unhappy Gilmour -

Congrats on your finish! What a nice day...did the fairly touch you with his wand?

All advice up there is great.

My questions to you is....what's next? A fall marathon? A winter cross country ski trip? Next year shattering your time?

Of course your body is still recovering, but if your training was on par (which is sounds like it was), you're all ready to jump back on the horse. Perhaps this isn't a physical situation you're dealing with as much as post-IM depression.....

So, focus on what's next on the horizon.......

fli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you would benefit from a massage.... you need to get that race flushed out of your body!!! find a massage therapist who deals with athletes and have him/her work with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same. I also did IM Lake Placid and I am still not recovered. I posted this on Gordoworld.com and Gordo said it might take 12-15 weeks to recover.
Quote Reply