Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast?
Quote | Reply
I usually eat a clif bar before my 6am ride, but since I've been waking up later and later, I've gotten into the routine taking a big swig of hammer gel instead. Is there anything wrong with that...isn't a clif bar mostly sugar anyway? Surely it must be better than eating nothing at all, right? When you wake up, your body is in ketosis, what's the effect of taking a big shot of sugar, then working out? Are there other metabolic considerations I should take into account?

My morning ride is usually about 2hrs, then I eat a proper breakfast after. Verdict?
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [Renault78law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think there is a lot of logic to what you are doing.

Clif bars have quite a bit of fiber in them relative to something more refined such as Hammer Gel. I was once told (but do not know for a fact) that carbohydrate molecules "attach" (is this even possible?) themselves to fiber and move through your digestive tract without being processed or metabolized.

Anyway, whether that is correct or incorrect it seems like the Gel will provide more immediate source of energy. Maybe the trick is continuing to use the product at the appropriate intervals throughout the ride to be certain your blood sugar (and attendant energy) levels remain constant and you don't bonk.

Good thinking though. I agree.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't attach, but the idea could be confused because fibre is cellulose and if we had the right enzyme, like a termite, we could actually metabolize it into glucose. Imagine eating a stick or 2X4 during a ride. Cows and the like also can metabolize such things, but that would suck cause you'd have to double, triple, or quadruple the number of crunch sets you do as to the number of stomachs you have.

To a degree, many carbs pass into the intestines and cause gas. Whether attached or not, many do pass and post race undigested carbs are unpleasant to say the least.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Tom. I keep working this over in my head and it seems like a good idea. But I don't know enough about nutritional science to back it up.

My main concern that the insulin spike is much larger because you're getting a big shot of pure simple sugar, as opposed to something you have to digest. My concern is the source that my body is using for energy. Coming off of sleep, you're already in ketosis. A big shot of sugar, and the cooresponding spike in insulin worries me that I'll be breaking down a lot of muscle to fuel my workout. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
I agree with the others . . . and I'd add . . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I get up early for long runs or rides I usually down a MRP (Meal Replacement Powder).
I like Myoplex deluxe vanilla and add a shot or two of hammer gel (the coffee flavor)
You can mix it up with ice in the blender and fake a frapuccino.
I think the protein is also important before a hard workout. The amino acid pools were getting tapped all night to rebuild the muscle from yesterday.
Top them off before you go!

----------------
Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the hammer gel is longer chain sugars and won't cause insulin spiking...so nope not a bad thing to do at all.. I do it in the am sometimes and again on workout #2 in the pm after work if I haven't had enough time to eat those 5 or 6 small meals during the day.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [jonathanb565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool, thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [Renault78law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yer welcome!

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't go for the marketing hype. Eat real food that you can get from a grocery store, like my usual bowl of oatmeal with no fat yogurt and an extra large espresso. All this designer nutriton that costs a pile of money is way way way overrated. Like Fleck said in another thread, there is no silver bullet folks. If it comes in a package and can be consumed on the bike or during a marathon, you don't need to be eating it for breakfast. Eat like a real person when you aren't working out :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think these fake foods aren't worth eating," she said in 1992. "Either have the real thing and a little of it or have something else. I like real hamburgers and real meat, real butter. Eat everything. Have fun."
-Julia Child 1912-2004-
Quote Reply
Re: Anything wrong with this pre-workout breakfast? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen! And, ditto the Julia Child quote. Too bad she passed away. I loved her shows with the French guy Jacque.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Aug 13, 04 15:54
Quote Reply