Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you do for upper body weights?
Quote | Reply
Soooo what is your upper body routine and how often during your training season do you do weights? I know there have been so many posts about weights and whether you should or shouldn't but those of you that do- what do you do.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle.

sorry... I couldn't resist...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bench,
bicep curls (regular curls, and occasional hammer curls),
dips,
tri kickbacks,
the shoulder thingie with dumbells where you raise them over your head and they meet,
the tri thingie where you hold the dumbell over your head,
pushups (usually only in the off season)
Shoulder shrugs with weights

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bench, pull ups, dips and shoulder flys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I'm running alot more and not in the pool, Im losing alot of upper bod muscle mass. :-( . Sooo, I'm sorta forcing myself to incorp wt training at least x2/wk now. I usually do rowing with free wts or machine (if I go to the gym), bench press, overhead pulls, bicep curls and then I switch out and do x2 leg work, either lunges, squats, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yoga !
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My routine is the same as tigerchik's with some added pulling with a band or pull buoy and swimming with paddles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowflex:

lat pull downs
chest press
bicep curls
tricep kick backs
back press
Delt flies

I love my bowflex, it has kept me consistant on my weight training since I bought it in October.

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lift 2x/week. I love to lift and am training mainly for the track, so probably lift more upper body than most.

Pull-ups (on the assisted machine)
Lat pull downs
Seated rows
Tricep dips
Tricep standing
Standing lats on the cable machine
Bicep curls
Shoulder raises--front, side, bent over

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the assisted pull-up machine! I feel like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. :-)

To the OP: I do a general weight-training routine 1-2 times a week (2x during base and 1x as S/B/R stuff ramps up) I based it on the routine in Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible. The upper body part of it includes: standing lat pull-downs (cable machine) and seated rows (also on cable machine) I usually supplement this with a weekly Pilates class and a few reps on the aforementioned pull-up machine. And of course all of the swimming...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My routine is the same as tigerchik's with some added pulling with a band or pull buoy and swimming with paddles.[/quote] you can have gorgeous shoulder and arm muscle just from swimming. (not trying to sound snarky to those of you who like to lift)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [Bing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the simple question but what is a back press and delt flies?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's the question that's the problem, could be my description ... here are the exercises:

1. back press: sit on floor, facing bowflex, hold grips in arms facing in to body, pull arms back squeezing upper back muscle together.

2. delt flies: stand facing away from bowflex. grips at sides facing down, lift up to shoulders.

I hope that makes sense? Both exercises can be done in the gym, delt flies with free weights and I can't remember how I did back presses ... but I know I did.

Ugh ... it's a.m., I'm blonde and I need coffee or I"m sure this would sound more intellingent <G>

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, this year I'm trying to stay dedicated to 2x a week, 45 mins each (including abs). Seems previous summers I ditch the weights and I gain weight. Not sure if it's even correlated but I'm willing to see if that changes for this summer.

1st session: Chest/Tris/Shoulders (3 sets each):
  • Seated Bench
  • Pec Deck - or Cable Flies
  • Pushups (Boy style of course!)
  • Incline Barbell
  • Military Press
  • Upright Row
  • Side Lateral either DB or Machine
  • Triceps extension machine
  • Tricep pulldowns with rope or reverse pushups or dumbell extensions
  • Abs 4 different exercises 3x 20 reps (soon to be 25)

2nd session: Back/Bis (3 sets each):
  • Lat pull downs
  • Seated Close Grip Row
  • Assisted Pullup
  • Seated Wide Grip Row
  • Back Extension
  • Preacher Curl
  • Rope Pulley Curl or Dumbell Curl or Bar Curl
  • Abs 4 different exercises 3x 20 reps (soon to be 25)

I'll go back to a 3rd session in the winter and do legs, but with all the biking / running I'm laying off legs for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pull ups on the gravitron (with different width grips), tricep kickbacks, bicep curls, and some yoga poses like down dog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just got a set of these:

http://www.powerblock.com/

I do two sets of curls, military, bench, fly and incline 3x a week. Takes about 20 minutes if I move quickly.

Quote | Reply
I try to lift 2x a week during training season and 3x off. I dig weightlifting ;-)

As for exercises, I mix it up, but typically:
Chest: Bench press, incline bench press or flies
Back: Pull-up (assisted), Lat pull-downs, dumbbell rows, or machine rows
Shoulder: side raises, overhead dumbbell presses, upright rows
Tricep: tricep machine, lying overhead tricep extension, standing tricep extension
Biceps: pretty much just bicep curls and hammer curls, although I'll sometimes work on isolating more with a bench, etc.

And situps!

Em

Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, i have a new thing to share.

this summer i'm going to workout with my best friend (rather than race). she is moving to Portland, so i want to hang out with her while i have the chance, before she moves.

we've been doing 'lunge mania'. this is a series of lunges up and down an indoor soccer field. it is not uncommon to lunge for 30 minutes. it's major.

lately, i add 2 soccer balls to the mix. so it's lunging, with arms straight out to sides, holding soccer balls with palms up. we try not to "palm" the balls, rather just let them balance in the hands. this forces the core and upper body to work. it is an amazing challenge, and has been great for core, butt, legs, shoulders, chest, back, even hands!
Last edited by: kittycat: Apr 23, 08 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [bdiva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is a dumb bell row? Can you describe- I need some back work.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a good description of the dumbbell row: http://www.exrx.net/...l/DBBentOverRow.html

The biggest thing is to make sure your back is flat when you get into position on the bench. And pull the weight all the way up.

It's a good one and easy cause you just need a bench and some weights.

Emily

Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I remember you posting a while back that you can lunge up hill. That's been my goal ever since then. I want legs as strong as yours. I can't even imagine 30 minutes - boggles the mind.

I have dumbells in my office so everyday I pick delts, biceps or triceps to work hard. It goes like this - make a phone call, lift a set. Write a paper, lift a set. Go potty, lift a set. Have meeting, lift a set. And on and on.

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for upper body weights? [HeyB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where do you live? you can lunge with me and Jess if you're close.

the warning is that it hurts like holy hell. but for some reason i enjoy this, and seem to enjoy putting my best friend through this. ?

after lunge mania it hurts to sit on the toilet. nothing seems to target the glutes like lunges (at least for me).

also, i do them non weighted, but it is almost continuous and walking while doing them. lunge side to side, backwards, wide, with a ham curl, back leg lift, double dip, explode off the heel or toe, just change it up the entire time. when doing it the heart rate gets high, it's really an amazing exercise.

these days i have such limited time, i have to max it out with whatever time i can put in. this is how lunge mania came about.

i like how you are working in your sets. another thing i suggest is doing some yoga stuff. like down dog for 3 minutes. plank for 90 seconds (which is major), tree pose each leg for 3 minutes. this will target your entire body and provides a very tough challenge in a limited amount of time.

fitnesscoach told me it's not the time i put in, it's the effort. so that's what i'm working on these days (effort), it's my only choice.

right now though i need a partner to check in with because i need to get 3-4 times a week. i find without a race shceduled it's hard to get that.

anyway... keep going i love your idea and might mimic you. hope you don't mind! :)
Quote Reply