Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fasting before a race
Quote | Reply
What are the effects of fasting before a race? (Or will it make me faster ha ha....)

I will be fasting the day before a sprint distance tri on Sep 26. Is this a dangerous event to partake in after a fast? What about olympic distance?

What if any additional nutritional steps should I take after the fast?
Quote Reply
Re: Fasting before a race [kindsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, that is interesting. I doubt it will exert any performance benefit, that seems certain.

I presume you are doing this for reasons not connected to the sport.

I guess as long as you maintain hydration you should be OK. Perhaps using some type of fluid with calories in it if that is within the accepted standards of your fast.

Good luck with that!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The reasons for fasting are very contraversial. I do remember a a clinical lab study where they fasted rats and over fed a control group. The fasted rats had about a third longer lifespan. Supposedly gives the body a chance to clean itself out somewhat. I fasted several times back in my alternative culture/hippy days of the 70s but always rested as I did so. My longest fast was about a week. You do feel quite weak during a fast, particualrly the first three days. Also you have to remain well hydrated. I prefered juice vegetable fasting over water at the time.

I personally would not recommend it just before a tri or any other athletic activity. If you want to try fasting do it at a time when exercise output is minimized. Before a tri, if anything you should be carb loading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing you are fasting because of Yom Kippur. If so, you have plenty of time to reload after sundown on 9/25. Given the spirit of the day, I'd hope you take it easy on Yom Kippur (lots of reflecting on the past year, you know). I wouldn't worry about it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to give an update. I had No problems with the sprint triathlon after the fast. I tried to break the fast slowly because the tendency is to eat a lot right away. This probably helped to make the transition go smoothly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you hear about the Wisconsin running back on Saturday? Broke his Yom Kippur fast after the 5:00 PM kickoff and was apparently guzzling fluids and woofing down a turkey sandwich on the sideline. Was mostly a backup last year and ended up running more in Saturday's game than all of last year.
Quote Reply