Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running is too expensive
Quote | Reply
Some people seem to calculate money too much. For example, in a previous post someone has calculated the price of first aid to determine if he should maintain his bike or risk an accident. So I decided to do some of my own math trying to persuade people that running is a waist of money.

Cost of running shoes - $100
Shoes should be replaced every 300 miles.
Therefore, cost of running $3 per mile.

In addition, due to running the runner requires more fluids and solids, these may raise the cost per run but have been omitted.

Cost of driving:
National average price per gallon $1.89
Fuel consumption 20 mpg
Driving cost 10.6 cents per mile

Conclusion – running is too expensive (28.35 times more)

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Post deleted by balanceguy [ In reply to ]
Re: Running is too expensive [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to burst your bubble, but the cost per mile for running shoes is 33.3 cents per mile. $3 per mile for 300 miles would be a $900 pair of running shoes (carbon fiber shoe laces?)

It is still three times as expensive as driving, and it makes my legs hurt, so give me the car keys.

Todd Pilger - bean counter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your math is a bit off...

"Cost of running shoes - $100
Shoes should be replaced every 300 miles.
Therefore, cost of running $3 per mile."

$100 divided by 300 miles/pr of shoes = 33 cents per mile - NOT $3.00

Must be Friday.
Last edited by: garbh026: Aug 6, 04 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if running is too expensive... how the hell can you justify doing triathlons?

is there a more expensive sport????
Quote Reply
Re: Running is too expensive [balanceguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Not exactly a rocket scientist, huh?[/reply]

You are not that clever are you? My calculation was completely wrong see Todder and you have not noticed.
Still Todder approved my conclusions.

Quote Reply
Re: Running is too expensive [thisbetc621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you do....green fees and lift tickets have become incredibly expensive. Granted the equipment isn't quite as expensive, but some green fees are a hell of a lot more expensive than an Ironman race. A week of skiing this winter in vail cost me roughly $5k. Also not cheap

Quote | Reply
Sorry about my math. It must be the beer. It is Friday after all.

Yes Triathlon is very expensive, and I don't care about the cost of running. My point is - if you live by calculating then you do nothing. If you see sexy components buy them, don't calculate the risk of not maintaining your bike against the cost of first aid. Just get a life.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by balanceguy [ In reply to ]
Re: Running is too expensive [balanceguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Holiday Inn Express all booked last night?

Okay my I.Q. is not that high (88 last test I took which is about 1 standard deviation below the mean score), could you explain the Holiday Inn concept?

Quote Reply
Re: Running is too expensive [thisbetc621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]is there a more expensive sport????[/reply]

Alpine skiing...
SCUBA diving
ultralight gliding (not hang/para gliding, but those airplane looking gliders that need to be towed first)
ultralight / flying in general (actual powered flight)
Auto racing (any class)

We're getting off cheap, man

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of couse your calculation is wrong. You did not include the initial cost of the car. Apples and Oranges...

-kb
Quote Reply
Re: Running is too expensive [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand driving is pretty expensive when you go beyond the cost of gas. Buy a new car for $25,000. Drive that car for one mile and it is now a used car worth $22,000. Cost of a car is now $3,000 per mile.

Now, where did I put those running shoes?

I agree with Pluto that he was making a goofy joke to demonstrate analysis paralysis, but some of the comments about being stupid are pretty funny, I don't care who you are!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love sexy components. I hear their siren call in my dreams at night when I should be dreaming about an intimate moment with JLo.

BUT...sexy isn't enough. For all that money, I want them to be better. Aye, there's the rub, mate. Most of them aren't. Anyone who forgets that America has the greatest advertisers on the planet will soon be short in the wallet, if they aren't already.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do people really need to buy shoes every 200 or 300 miles or is this something the shoe companies foisted on unsuspecting runners? I for one have no intention of switching shoes based on mileage. Only if the shoe's tread wears out and I don't see that happening with modern post 80s shoes. (I remember in the 80s you had to use shoe goo every week or else the shoe tread would literally rub off.)

I'm thinking a pair of modern shoes last 2000 miles. Not 300 miles!

Comments?
Quote Reply