Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by dubyakay
Re: FS Spinergy Stealth 700 2004-05 Clincher [dubyakay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do these wheels have PBO or stainless steel spokes?
Quote Reply
Re: FS Spinergy Stealth 700 2004-05 Clincher [John M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is "PBO"?

The spokes are black, not blades, and tighten from inside of rim (must remove rim tape to adjust).

I just sent someone pics and can do the same.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBO is Spinergy's fiber spoke. The PBO stands for "polyphenylene bensobisoxazole" (Got that from their website). I am more interested in standard stainless spokes (black or otherwise).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then they are not "PBO". These are black steel.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the silver carbon wheels with black spokes. I borrowed them for a race, and a rear spoke kept becoming un-tensioned on the drive side, knocking the wheel out of true. (It is the rear wheel that broke a spoke and had a replacement added- by somebody other than myself. The spoke is a few MM's too long and really should be replaced with an appropriate one. It causes some truing and tension issues, which is why the spoke was un-tensioning when I used it. It looks identical, however.) I removed all the spoke nipples one by one and used linseed oil on them. The rear wheel has been working fine. The front wheel is currently a little out of true and I am going to do the same to it, before giving back to poster so he can ship. This is a great set of wheels, but because of the design has some spoke issues. As long as linseed oil or spoke prep is used on them, they are fine. They seem to roll very fast and look very cool on my white/blue/silver bike. I would buy them from my friend, but I finally replaced my Mavic Cosmic Carbones.

Again, this is a great deal for somebody who knows a little about wheel truing. Many people would have just sold you the wheels without mentioning any of this, but my buddy is very honest. With the exception of the one spoke being a tad too long, these wheels are in excellent shape! You should be able to order a new spoke from Spinergy, and you can order the special spoke wrench for a few bucks.

(Funny how he mentions drafting. He always hates it when I tell everybody how I passed him on the bike during a previous IMF while he was getting a drafting penalty.)

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: FS Spinergy Stealth 700 2004-05 Clincher [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, nice to know a little more. Can you comment on what you specifically mean by "because of the design". I do have above average wheel experience, but wouldn't want to take on someone elses problem. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the early versions had more of a tendency come out of true. I think spoke prep or linseed oil solved that problem. I never had to use either of those with Cosmic Carbones, however you pay over twice the price for a set of those. Or 3 or 4 times the price of these. My buddy is not a mechanic. He can't true wheels. They are a great deal for somebody who can.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: FS Spinergy Stealth 700 2004-05 Clincher [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM sent

Sonny

"The faster you get, the harder it is to get faster."
Quote Reply