Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

File this under "A" for Anecdotal
Quote | Reply
I'm posting this because I had many people request it...many of them not-so-subltly implying that I would be disappointed that I would not improve significantly over last year's times.

Last year, 1:11:09 (with an 8:24 swim). This year, same course (with approximately the same swim split): 1:00:39.

Difference between the years: one year older this year combined with 3 months of riding PowerCranks.

Even if there is no Double-blind, placebo controlled, Longitudinal, Latitudinal, or whatever else kind of study out there to prove that PowerCranks work, I'm going to keep riding with them. I'm glad I didn't wait for the studies, which may never be done anyway. I don't recall seeing a study that proves the sun appears in the East each and every morning, but, that doesn't mean that the sun won't come up in the East tomorrow. PowerCranks are working for me, for both running split and bike split times.

PS: I was only 4th in my age group though, I was hoping to get on the podium with this time...I'd better find something to improve my swim time! (Last year, I think I was 24th in a younger age group...I moved up this year.)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: File this under "A" for Anecdotal [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waytogo, ktalon. it is funny. i have made analogy to xc skiing with PC's. specifically, to the idea of xc skiing properly, with complete weight transfer and the resultant waltz-like side to side travel path the skiier takes down the trail when doing it. by contast, the intuitive way to ski is to stand in the center of the trail and drive yourself straight ahead. anyway - while no study has ever been done on the effciency or proof of skiing one way over the other - people will ALWAYS start one way, slowly and with difficulty learn the other, and then never go back. sound familiar ??? i do not need an exercise degree to tell me that the trees are going by faster and i am breathing less hard than i was before - evidently you don't either. i wonder what is wrong with us ????? have fun, my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: File this under "A" for Anecdotal [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh. and let us not forget ! a disc wheel and aero front, vs a nasty old MA40 and round spokes would have given you somewhere around 90 seconds or so on this sprint course. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great improvement for sure. Did you race on PC's or did you go with RCs. Also do you know where you saw most of your improvement in the bike or run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job talon.

How about some more information. what is the bike distance and what were your two times? (so we can calculate your power improvement)

Also, how about some advice for people going back to regular cranks about how soon before the race is enough? Or, if not advice, your experience.

Want to hear about the run also.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply