Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

route to Santa Barbara...
Quote | Reply
Jay I know you rode up there a couple weekends ago.....any input on the best route and what to expect in terms of elevation change, whatever. I'm planning on a Saturday ride, starting early. There's some fiesta party thing happening on Sat. night that I plan to partake in.
Quote Reply
Re: route to Santa Barbara... [Steepleboy04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rode up north from LA to SF in december. also asked for directions but people told me not to worry. they were right. stay on PCH, ride North on the 1. If the 1 ends, ride north, stay as much parallel to the ocean as possible. afterwards, you will get onto the 101. pretty nice to have those cars driving 65+ mph next to you, at least their wind is a nice aid :)

good luck,

daniel

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just rode from San Francisco to San Diego for the 4th of July. I rode down in 4 days and averaged about 150 miles/day.

Day 1 - San Francisco to Big Sur, 146 miles

Day 2 - Big Sur to Lompoc, 166 miles

Day 3 - Lompoc to Santa Monica, 145 miles

Day 4 - Santa Monica to San Diego (Mission Valley) - 145 miles

I used the Adventure Cycling maps which work great.

Not sure where you are starting but if you are starting somewhere in San Diego, just ride north. You stay along to coast till you get to Long Beach then you have to take some residential street and some commercial streets. One thing to look out for is Palase Verdes (PV). I'm sure I am spelling that wrong. There are two ways to Redondo Beach vis PV. Either straight over or westward all the way around PV. If you go all the way around it adds about 15-20 miles.

Onec you hit Santa Monica you will have to ride the bike path that snakes right thru the sand. So if you hit it in the early AM or late afternoon it is not to bad but in the middle of the day you will have to deal with all the beach goers.

Once past Santa Monica you have to deal with quite a bit of traffic on Hwy 1 thru Malibu. Then you have to go thru Oxnard and Ventura both of which have commercial routes and not very scenic.

On a whole you will not encounter any hills to speak of. Now if you want a day of hills ride thru Big Sur.

Willy in Pacifica
Quote Reply
Re: route to Santa Barbara... [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long do you reckon the ride is from LA up to Santa Barbara?

I'm considering riding from the Culver City area to Santa Barbara while I'm down there in mid March and am starting to get curious.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: route to Santa Barbara... [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Santa Monica Pier to Santa Barbara it is about 100 miles. Unfortunatly it is probably the least sceanic portion of the whole coast.

Willy in Pacifica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this Lutz? That would be a good ride for you. SB train station is 110-112 from my house. I have the route on file somewhere. First 30 or so has some long gradual climbing then is flat and fast across Simi Valley before hooking up with the coast at Ventura. Pretty nice from there. There is a train crossing in Simi Valley that is EXTREMELY dangerous. I know about 6 people who have crashed on the tracks. Ping me tonight.

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured out a good route. Let me know if you still need it. There is one decent climb up Santa Susanna Pass, maybe 1200ft. If you desire more climbing, I know an even better route. It would take a bit longer, but would be more scenic and much more difficult.

I may head out that way myself on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: route to Santa Barbara... [Willy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, I wouldn't say that it is the least scenic portion of the whole cost. I still think that there are really nice parts to see. How about you try to ride South for a while. That's a getto ride when you go through the Long Beach Area. Lot's of trashy people and the roads are full of glass and other things. In my opinion, that's the ugliest part of the whole cost.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: route to Santa Barbara... [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I agree about Long Beach. The worst sections, as you ride the coast, are Long Beach, and probably Oceanside if you stay on Hwy 1. But the best section is from Santa Barbara up to San Francisco and even up to Oregon. Really not one bad section above Santa Barbara. Lots of friends I know ride from the Bay Area to Santa barbara then catch the train back up.

Willy in Pacifica
Quote Reply