Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice.
Quote | Reply
This question is not just aimed at the "womens" here, but especially women who started out as real beginners and/or single-sporters who had no clue about other disciplines (about open water swimming, for example, or cycling).

I am just curious about how best to critique, encourage, motivate and also what NOT to say or talk about. What have people helped you with and said that really encouraged and helped you?

With a few years high school cross country coaching experience and many years in triathlon, I like to think know what I am doing on the designing workouts end, but any advice in that direction would help, too.

Here's the deal: Right now I'm running an indoor/winter beginners triathlon training course at the local health club. Turns out its all women, ages 25 to 60, all in pretty good shape, but a huge range of abilities (from 12+ min./mile runners to women who can do 7:30s / from former h.s. varsity swimmers to novice)

Right now we train Wed. & Thursday, with Wed. being the longer session (almost 2 hours: 45 bike + 30 run + stretching, mainly) and Thu. the shorter (a bit over 1 hour: circuits & core: I try to mix it up). Saturdays a woman is coaching the swimming portion (Thank God. I could never be a swim coach) ... Some women train a lot outside of class, some only do the class.

This will dovetail into a 10-week mostly outdoor session designed to train them (plus some men I hope) for the local June 15 sprint tri.

I'm a guy, obviously. Yes a lucky guy I know ...

Thanks in advance. I really value your input.
Last edited by: TBinMT: Feb 20, 08 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most women want to feel included and not "left behind" if they aren't "great". Focus on the positives and help them get better at their weaknesses. Treat the beginners with the same seriousness you treat the more experienced athletes.

For me, I hate being coddled and talked down to. Tell me what I'm doing right, what I'm good at and what I need to do to get better in my weak spots. I love it when my coach talks to me because he respects what I've accomplished and doesn't focus on my finish times like many people do. He talks to me like one athlete to another. He treats me like a great athelete, not a back of the packer. I want that from everyone I talk to but unfortnately I'm too slow :-)

I have a friend who is very "high touch" and needs positive reinforcement quite a bit but really, she just wants to feel special. Spend time getting to know each one of them so they feel comfortable asking you the "dumb" questions. Know what they are good at and where they need work. Establishing a coaching relationship will be a big boost to their confidence.

I think what you are doing is awesome. Coaching is such a valuable resource to have when doing this sport. I know I couldn't have finished as many events as I have without my coach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a goal to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I hired a running coach to help me with a plan to reach my goal.
We met twice a week. I never felt like he was really tuned into the workouts. It felt like he was just a warm body standing there. Offering no comments, critique etc.
I also had the distinct impression that he did not believe I could ever qualify.
I fired him, hired another coach who was totally committed to helping me reach my goal and qualified for Boston with her help.
My new coach never once gave me any impression that I could not reach my goals. She was inspiring, caring, informative and involved.

I would let your "ladies" know directly and indirectly that you are committed to seeing them improve to the best of their abilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started triathlons 6 years ago as a complete beginner in all three sports. It's very overwhelming when there is so much to learn. However, most fairly fit people can finish a sprint tri even if they don't have perfect technique. So, when you are giving them something to work on with their form, have them concentrate on only one thing at a time. It's too much when you have to think about fixing lots of different things at a time. I think each workout that you give them should have one major goal and that's it. Have them think about that one goal and not worry about everything else. The "everything else" will come in time.

Also, tell them that you want to hear feedback from them on how the training is going - both the workouts and your own performance. Many women will talk to you and give you constructive criticism if they know you are open to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have served as the assistant Coach for Team Danskin Training for the past 2 years where I coached team of 25-30 women to complete their first sprint tri. Many of our athletes were brand new to all three sports but each time we had a few single sporters (including div 1 runners and swimmers). And from this experience, I can only echo everything the three posters above me have said.

Take the time to get to know your athletes and determine what type of encouragement they need. Some will be similar to me and just want to be told to HTFU while others will need lots of encouragement and handholding. But either way always be positive and let them know you know (and they should know too) that they can complete their training and the race. This past year I had two athletes who were convince they couldn't do it. At each workout we gave them a little bit of extra attention and encouragement and to see them cross the line was just amazing. They were holding hands and in tears. And after saying they couldn't do it and would never do it again, they are still training and plan on more races this summer. It is moments like this that make coaching beginners so much fun.

I also agree with Dawn and not to overload them with information. I am a total gear nerd and love to read about, discuss, try, etc all the lastest and greatest things out there. But most first timers don't need a $500 wetsuit and the hundreds of other things I love to experiment with. But they do need some general information about gear and training. And being beginners (and maybe even at some stores just being a women) makes going into a store to buy gear very intimidating. So we organized an outing to a local shop where we had different stations to cover general topics such as Tire change and what to carry on your bike, basic race gear (tri shorts, race belt, etc), nutrition, and things like that. Gave the chance for our athletes to ask all kinds of questions and the store offered them a discount for things bought that day.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I would be glad to answer.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>And after saying they couldn't do it and would never do it again, they are still training and plan on more races this summer. It is moments like this that make coaching beginners so much fun. <<

Isn't that the best! I love it when my newbie swimmers get that "aha" look.

I find that you have to figure out what motivates each person, but like someone said, make sure all are included, even the not-fast or least experienced. That said, I also hold everyone accountable--no coddling. Do the work (at your own level). Many times people (both men and women, since my swimmers are both) who haven't been athletes in the past aren't used to pushing themselves, so you need to gently nudge them and let them find out that hey, they can do a lot more than they think.

Good luck!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started training I was overwhelmed by the amount of information and really just needed a couple of things to focus on in each session. There are so many things you need to fix and to learn that you can end up trying to do it all at once and fail miserably (or at least I did!). Also, I'd get so focussed on all the things I was doing wrong and trying to fix that I needed to be told when I was getting something right.

I'd make it clear that asking for feedback and asking questions is okay and expected, the newer women in my club can be a bit shy about this. Once I started asking for feedback and clarification I found the whole coaching process to be far, far more rewarding.

Finally, when you do your first open water swim, don't just toss them in a lake and tell them to swim across it! The first year of our club the coaches were so comfortable in the water they forgot that a lot of newbies are afraid of the creatures in the deep. At our first open water swim the group took off for a swim across the lake but about five strokes in a bunch of us had panic attacks and swam back to shore.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the things I learned in my years of teaching mixed ability classes in yoga and martial arts, take the time to address each athlete as an individual. Like people previously said, get to know each one but beyond that take 30 secs each class to offer encouragement and/or advice to each person as an individual. This goes a long way to making them feel you are paying attention to each of them, it's very easy to "not worry" about the good athletes and focus on the ones that need the most help. Taking a minute to give them personal advice and encouragement helps them feel as if you are paying attention to them.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some really good thoughts on here. i'd try and feel out if they are a tough chick group, or a handholding group, or a mix of both. personally i HATE being talked down to as if i have no clue because i am a girl (translate: guy at a cycling race telling me not to forget to inflate my tires before the race), but a lot of other women want tons of encouragement and support along the way.

make sure they really feel like athletes, not women doing a sprit tri. its a form of identity many women never get to experience, even if they "do sports".

not sure how, but make SURE that they know no to wear underwear under bike shorts. i worked at a bike shop and you wouldn't believe how many people, women especially, didn't know that.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone who has responded so far. This gives me good stuff to think about. Getting to know each athlete's individual needs, goals and personality is key. I also agree with the info. overload: I have always coached on thing at a time (per practice or per week) but can get carried away rambling about too much unnecessary stuff, just like any tri. geek. I keep peaching simple things like consistency (3 short workouts a week is always better than 4x one week; 1x the next) and "time on your feet" (Its fine to be a slower runner: Walk a lot if you need to / want to: You are still outside, moving, which is what really counts) ... Today we are finally going 3 miles outdoors as its the first day about freezing. Its a rare sunny day, too, so that will help our moods, I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything said so far. I also started out as a total beginner in all three disciplines and was completely overwhelmed by everything I had to learn. I did some great classes with a coach in New York, who was very much like another poster described, he focused on me and my strengths and treated my like an athlete -- pushed me where needed, but still in a positive way. (Thank you, Jon Cane - you rock!)

I'd also encourage interactions between ladies of similar abilities and temperaments, it really helps to keep motivated when you have someone to train with at your same level, especially at that early stage when everything seems super tough and training isn't yet it's own reward. :-)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my coach because when I have a bad workout, TT, race, etc... he never makes me feel like anything less than a peer of his (yeah right, he's a Cat 1 rider...). He also continually reminds me to look at the big picture, and not one specific workout. "You're workout might not have been perfect, but look how far you've come..." or somthing to that effect. And when I'm excited about a good workout I know I can just e-mail him to say how good it was, and he seems genuinely happy for me. I also know that I can ask stupid questions, and he answers with respect ("Great question...").

I think the responses so far have been great. Good luck training them!

Oh, my $0.02, I think the group trip to a tri store with discounts and gear education is a terrific idea!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Isn't that the best! I love it when my newbie swimmers get that "aha" look."

Doug Stern used to say that. It's very nice to hear you echo those sentiments.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is exactly how I started out. It is a great way to start out as a female athlete.

I came from a running background. I'd help talk my female teammates through their first 3-mile run. That was a very, very, very big hurdle for some of them. Meanwhile, one of them stayed back with me to talk me through my first 18-mile, hilly ride (which I was *sure* I would not be able to do). Another, from a swimming background, helped me to overcome my fear of the deep end of the pool, and swimming goggles. Yes. I hated goggles.

Women are good at helping each other. They improve athletically by bonding. So, part of your role is honestly to step back and allow that to happen. Example. You are about to do a ride and you are giving a pre-ride clinic on how to change a tire or how to ride safely. Find a way to involve the more experienced women. "Those of you who are experienced riders: What did I forget? What would you add?" You can ask one of the experienced riders to either lead or sweep the group if she is willing (and if you don't have another coach to help you with that). This way, you are facilitating the womens' bonding experience; and, you are acknowledging the expertise of your more experienced gals, so they feel valuable and not talked down to.

The cool-down stretches are great times for the women to ask questions. Ask them what their experience was, what questions they might have. You'll get to know their needs this way, and it'll be yet more bonding between them. Again, encourage the more advanced athletes in that day's sport to help respond to the newer athletes. I remember those days when an issue or concern had been bottled up for the whole workout and I couldn't wait for the stretching to begin because that was my opportunity to bring it up.

I've been both the "coachee" and the "coach" in these situations.

I think my remaining advice to you could be summed up by saying: Don't do too much! You are probably quite advanced in your knowledge and experience. Dial it waaaaaaaay baaaaack.

You might need to dial back that training time, for example. I've seen a lot of newbies get shin splints, etc. after being expected to go from zero to 2-4 miles in a couple of weeks. You need to have shorter options. You need walk/run options. You create a supportive environment where the jock who just cracked out 6 miles of 7:30's, is getting exactly the same amount of encouragement as the newbie who ran one mile without walking, for the first time.

A two hour workout (okay you said 45 bike/ 30 run) *might* be too much for some people in the first month. Again, have a shorter option. The thing that was most life-changing for me while in my beginner training was the fact that I could actually complete all the given workouts without a problem. I'd had a notion that triathlon training was probably *too hard* and that *I'd never be able to finish a race.* (This is after successfully finishing a lot of running races, too.) You need to create an experience where, week by week, everybody is capable of finishing the workouts and they get longer and harder only very slowly (and you can have some longer/harder options for the more advanced athletes). Never underestimate how overwhelming it feels to undertake this training. To the very end, half of us were unconvinced we would be able to finish our sprint triathlon. And that was in a good, gradual training program with a lot of positive energy and encouragement. The last thing you need to do is to insert anything (such as workouts that are too hard, too early) into your program that will discourage people.

The older women in the class: I'd be curious how they are recovering from the Wednesday to the Thursday session?

It may be different than when you were coaching a high school cross country team. I am generalizing here of course, but members of a cross country team are training to get as fast as possible; whereas a lot of these women are probably just training for fun, and/or to finish. You can't assume or impose goals...you have to find out what *theirs* are. For the women who are out to "just finish," well, you're not going to give them the kind of workouts that you gave a cross country team! That is just too serious.

Look, most of them won't progress as fast as your high school students; and they won't finish as fast; but if you make it fun they will be hooked for life. (Then eventually they will become competitive ST a**holes, like the rest of us ;)

Another place to dial back is with equipment issues. They need to know about: A bike with 2 wheels; a helmet; maybe clipless pedals and cleats/shoes to go with; gloves; inner tubes and patch kits. Running shoes. Cap, goggles and swimsuit. Tri shorts and tri top. Sports drinks and gels. If the swim will be cold: a wetsuit. THAT'S IT. That is already an overwhelming number of items to buy, try out, fix, and practice before race day.

They do not need to know about: Tri bikes; aerobars; heart rate monitors; GPS; power meters; Infinit; blah blah blah. Some of the athletes will express an interest in one or more of these items; answer their questions; but don't make the group think it needs any of this stuff. They can introduce themselves to heart rate training, etc. AFTER their first tri.

As for sport-specific skills, prioritize the ones involving "safety" and "good form." Do a bike safety clinic that shows them how to check their bike (basic check only) and how to ride safely with other riders and in traffic. Open water swim clinic too. As for "good form," you or someone else could critique their running form, teach how to do strides, give them cycling drills, and the ever important good swim technique. Also try to fit in a clinic/practice on transition skills; usually combined with a mock tri.

As for "what best to say" to motivate people, well, as long as you have enthusiasm, respect and a supportive attitude towards all athletes, the right things will come out of your mouth naturally. Don't worry about it! Just, you know, know when to shut up and let the women gab with each other, because they learn that way, too ;)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One of the things I learned in my years of teaching mixed ability classes in yoga and martial arts, take the time to address each athlete as an individual. Like people previously said, get to know each one but beyond that take 30 secs each class to offer encouragement and/or advice to each person as an individual. This goes a long way to making them feel you are paying attention to each of them, it's very easy to "not worry" about the good athletes and focus on the ones that need the most help. Taking a minute to give them personal advice and encouragement helps them feel as if you are paying attention to them.
I can't emphasize this enough. If someone doesn't feel like they are a part of what's going on, they'll quit. I just came back from a swim clinic. The last day they had 3 different coaches watching us swim. All 3 spent a lot of time with the ones who were obviously struggling. I felt good that I wasn't one of them, but I wanted SOME feedback even if it was "You're doing OK." I finally had to say to one of the coaches, "How am I doing?" I have to admit, I was pissed off that I had to do that. Let them know that you're keeping an eye on all of them individually. Even small encouragement from your coach is a huge motivator, and the lack works the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm training 7 women. Seeking advice. [roadie gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read these last two. Thank you. Excellent advice.

I try my best to simplify and rarely talk equipment, training plan specifics, etc., unless its addressing an individual. Individual attention, feedback and encouragement seems to be the ticket. Everyone is so different, too: From very confident to quite insecure about their abilities, from wanting to really "be pushed" to wanting to be left alone to go very easy. Its been fun.

The "real" 10-week session starts April 2. Hopefully some men will join too. If its anything like last year, I envision 3 or more groups, especially cycling, ranging from the 18 mph people on road bikes to the 10 mph people on cruisers. This is when I put certain people I know in charge of each group, depending on the day and depending on who shows up. The cool thing is the range of expertise: A former varsity swimmer, for example, a woman who does marathons, and some people who have road biked for years. Beyond prescribe a few workouts for A B and C groups, I don't need to do much. The class practically teaches itself.

We plan to bike (sometimes brick) on Wednesdays and swim on Thursdays with running mostly on your own. One thing I emphasize is running can be the most important OR least important part of training: It can be the thing that really gets you in shape, or you can walk / jog just a little, and that will be fine too, so long as you are comfortable completing the distance on the bike. Its really up to you if you want to be a runner or not. One participant got discouraged because she goes along at 12-13 min. miles and feels "so slow." I told her "You're a runner. That's running" because NO ONE can actually walk a mile in 12 minutes, can they?

Another thing I encourage is working out on your own (or going to classes like spinning or aerobics or yoga). That workout may just consist of a 15-min. swim or a 1-mile walk: Just get out and move, early (if you can) and often.
People are amazed what a little consistency over a few weeks can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing about working out on their own....

Once you've been going a couple of weeks, make sure everyone has everyone else's phone number and email and then highly suggest that they find someone of their like ability/goals to train with outside of the group training. You'll find that hopefully, small groups naturally form. Even better is to set up a yahoogroups email list and then suggest that if someone is thinking of doing a workout and wants company, post it to the list and find training partners that way.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply