Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This drives me nuts
Quote | Reply
There is this kid on my team that's the same age as me. We usually race for positions 2-4 in most races, and if I have a good race I'll take him, but since I'm inconsistent (if I have a bad swim I'll usually have a bad race) I usually come in a few seconds after him.

I'm a better swimmer (by about 15 seconds for 400m), he's a better runner (when we ran a 4.5k race he went 16:50 and I went 17:05), and on a flat TT we're pretty much the same.

The thing is, whenever the road rises, even if I'm infront of him, a few seconds later he'll be 5 meters up the road. I'm pretty baffled here, and the only explantion I could come up with is that he's lighter (a lot lighter). I weight between 61-65 kgs, and he usually stays at around 52-53 kgs yearround. I think we're the same height (178 cm).

Does anyone have any solution on how to beat this problem? My next two races are pretty hilly, and I really want to be able to perform well (read: get 2nd).

Finally my inconsistensy problem lies in the fact I seem to always pick a shitty starting spot for the swim, then get pinched/punched/kicked/whatever and miss the front draft pack. I'm not a (very haha) violent person, so I don't like to really hit back, but starting with some 'force' is the only solution I could come up with.
Quote Reply
Re: This drives me nuts [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like he's a better hill cimber than you...get out there and climb more hills! I spent a day with Chris McCormack (sp?) a few years ago and he told me that when he trains on hills he actually wears a backpack filled with large bottles of water to add more weight, I started doing that one ride per week and my hill climbing (power) has improved dramatically! That's just my 2 cents!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple. He's read Dave Scott's books.

He's gunning it on the hills.

He probably has the look on his face that all is well, a poker face, its just the same old cadence thing, he may even try to take a swig of water, for the ultimate fake out, but if you really checked his legs and effort, or clocked it, he's hammering it on the hills.

Next time he does that, gun it right when he does.

When you go by him, say, "you lying bastard, you."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that would be smart to do, and that's appreciate that you have each other to do battle in these races. It's a great thing to have someone so close in times again and again. You'll both get better because of the rivalry. Now, train hard, but train smart, and beat him.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply