Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness
Quote | Reply
After riding my litespeed saber for a while I can't get back on my Giant OCR2 - its time for a new road bike...

I am 6' tall 180 (goes down to 165 sometimes - this is the heaviest I get - its mostly muscle at the moment) I am in love with Ti - now steel just seems heavy and rusty and aluminum looks like coke can crap - the allure of a bike that will never rust or corrode is powerful - its like a bike made of gold... Carbon was a thought but just seems like plastic.

I am considering the following frames: Litespeed classic, tuscany, arenburg = macalu pro (economical choice) I am leary of 6/4 as it basically seems like aluminum to me and I dont like a seamed tube. I would also get Merlin if I could find a deal on one. (Though I think I am too big for the xtra lite/ same for the ghisallo)

My problem is alot of reviews of Ti bikes say if your over xxx pounds dont buy this...

Is the classic a stiff bike (I'll be getting a 57cm)? I understand that the 6/4 offerings are supposed to be stiff but what are the stiffest BBs in 2.5/3? There are times when I like to stand up and mash (not my style but if I do it and hear my drive train crunching ill not be happy) For reference I find my saber to be quite solid in the BB area.

Anyone who can rate these bikes by weight recommendation/ BB stiffness please chime in
Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [ictheostega] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you want stiffness in a ti bike, consider the Litespeed Ultimate. Solid as a rock.

Or Seven cycles will custom build according to your preferences.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the Litespeed Firenz stack up as far as stiffness?

I think I spelled it correctly!! I hope? LOL

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considered the Habanero, www.habcycles.com? Quite affordable($695), custom geometry available, apparently great customer service, and I've read lots of glowing reviews. Have a read on rec.bicycles.tech at Google Groups. They talk a lot about its stiffness.

You might also take a look at the Swedish maker, Magmaa. They're the only Ti frame to pass the www.efbe.de torture test, and at the highest level. I have one and it's quite nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [jonathanb565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the litespeed web site they indicate the relative stiffness of the different models. The Ultimate is at the top of the food chain. Not sure about the Firenze.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Habanero looks like a great deal - I can't get into rec.bicycles.tech for some reason - do they basically agree it is stiff? Is the team issue stiffer than the regular?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I either currently or had the following

Ultimate - Standard and currently have a custom

Vortex

Palmeres

With out doubt the Ultimate is the stiffest out of the bunch by a BIG margin. The Classic is known to be kinda like a noodle under a heavy powerful rider.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6'3", 210lbs. My Moots is a great bike and plenty stiff. Nicer than Litespeed IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am 6'3", 210lbs. My Moots is a great bike and plenty stiff. Nicer than Litespeed IMHO.
I concur.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you go to http://groups.google.com and then from there to rec.bicycles.tech? Working for me right now. Never read of anyone complaining that frame wasn't stiff enough. You should drop Mark Hickey an email directly. I think the team issue is just more of a fashion statement difference than anything functional.
Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems for the money that stateside TST frames are stiff and pretty awesome - for $525 its getting hard to justify another litespeed. I think the TST is more elegant looking and US made than the Chinese Habanero (a stupid name too - prefer completely plain...) Anybody have any experience with these?

Am also considering CAAD7 and a waterford 2200 as my steel and Alu choices... I had sworn off Aluminum but everyone swears the new CAAD7 is much more compliant and its light, the waterford is my emotional choice though I've heard some people say they were just too slow/ heavy - I have an 853 bike and an 853 MTB - its a tough call between the waterford and the TST...

I think I might get more attached to the waterford but the TST would be tougher and last longer....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know anything about TST. Are you referring to the Cambria deal on those frames? Only 56 and 58 sizes available as I recall. Lot of history with the Habaneros, lots of satisfied customers, and Mark Hickey really seems to stand behind his product.

Decals are easy to remove, BTW :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am referring to the cambria deals - I require a 56 (sometimes 57). Somehow now that I am looking at lower end Ti the waterford seems more appealing. Maybe I am a snob but the Habanero just looks kind of crude compared to my litespeed - it also seems heavy, probably about the same weight as the 2200 which would probably have alot more character and be a bike I would cherish. I am pretty sure I don't want to buy a chinese/ taiwanese bike - I have a Giant and a KHS flite 800 - I want this to be my first real serious road bike - something comfy but raceable - I think the TST might work but nobody seems to know much about it. I dont see why I would spend more for the chinese habanero than the US made TST which looks like a better product and I believe is from a better engineering background. All these bikes seem to weigh about the same, 3-4 pounds, all are affordable (except litespeed vortex and ultimate - also I HATE carbon fiber seat stays and think buying a Ti bike with CF seat stays and an integrated headset is about like buying an aluminum bike in terms of longevity) What is the stiffest litespeed with a non integrated headset, Ti seat stays? I dont care what year as I dont mind buying used - also I would consider Merlin. I may just get the TST but I keep going in circles...

I am also giving some thought to a cervelo superprodigy or a soloist...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seven cycles will tune the stiffness to your liking, plus they have some of the nicest workmanship in the business. The Axiom is a full Ti, non-integrated frame, built just the way you want it. I would stick with the stock geometry unless you have really strange dimensions.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of options:

Get Litespeed to do a custom Saber with a downtube that is wider where it meets the bottom bracket...

What's wrong with your current saber? Are you looking for a road bike? If road, go with an Ultimate or Vortex. The Blade is also incredibly stiff and great for bigger guys - although it's a lot of bread!!!

Have fun - CC
Quote Reply
Re: Ti frame bottom bracket stiffness [trinslide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a road bike - love my saber

I dont want carbon fiber seat stays otherwise I would be all over the ultimate (maybe I'm still considering it but I think they ruined the beautiful simple lines they had by gluing plastic in for the seat stays)

I think the classic is the best looking litespeed and its a 4.6 for stiffness! (what the hell are those bar graphs based on anyway?)

The majestic by MErckx is also a good looking bike - anyone know if thats stiff?
Quote Reply